- The Learning Company
The Learning Company Type Subsidiary Parent Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Website learningcompany.com
The Learning Company (TLC) is an American educational software company, founded in 1980. It produced a grade-based system similar to Knowledge Adventure's JumpStart series. The products for preschoolers through second graders feature Reader Rabbit, and software for more advanced students features The ClueFinders. The company also purchased the Minnesota Educational Computing Consortium. The company has corporate offices in San Francisco and Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
The original The Learning Company was founded by Ann McCormick, Leslie Grimm, and Teri Perl, three educators who saw the Apple II as an opportunity to enhance the ability to teach young children concepts of math, reading and science, along with Warren Robinett, fresh from a stint at Atari. Part of the original funding for the company came from a National Science Foundation grant. Additional funding was provided by Jack Melchor, and Melchor Venture Partners, among others. The Learning Company first went public on April 28, 1992 - Morgan Stanley and Robertson, Stephens & Co. served as the lead underwriters. In 1995 TLC became the target of larger software firms interested in purchasing it. In that year a "bidding war" took place between Brøderbund and SoftKey, with the latter eventually acquiring TLC for $606 million in cash. SoftKey took up The Learning Company's name and continued acquiring other software companies including Mindscape, Inc. in March 1998 for $150 million and, ironically, former rival Brøderbund in June of the same year for $416 million. Mattel purchased the company in 1999 for $3.8 billion from the Canadian Entrepreneur Kevin O'Leary, renaming it "Mattel Interactive", in what has been called one of the worst acquisitions in corporate history. Mattel sold Learning Co. to Gores Technology Group, receiving $27.3 million for the unit. TLC, along with Brøderbund, is now a subsidiary of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt; however, some of the acquired entertainment holdings were sold to Ubisoft.
Reader Rabbit/ClueFinders series
- Grade-based titles
- Reader Rabbit Baby
- Reader Rabbit Toddler
- Reader Rabbit Preschool
- Reader Rabbit Preschool: Sparkle Star Rescue
- Reader Rabbit Kindergarten
- Reader Rabbit 1st Grade
- Reader Rabbit 2nd Grade (now sold as Reader Rabbit 2nd Grade: Classic)
- Reader Rabbit 2nd Grade: Mis-cheese-ious Dreamship Adventures
- The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures
- The ClueFinders 4th Grade Adventures
- The ClueFinders 5th Grade Adventures
- The ClueFinders 6th Grade Adventures
- Other titles
- Reader Rabbit 1
- Reader Rabbit 2
- Reader Rabbit 3
- Reader Rabbit's Reading Journey
- Math Rabbit (Later changed to Reader Rabbit Math)
- The ClueFinders Math Adventures
- The ClueFinders Reading Adventures
- The ClueFinders Search and Solve Adventures
- The ClueFinders: The Incredible Toy Store Adventure!
- The ClueFinders: Mystery Mansion Arcade
- Caillou Magic Playhouse
- SpongeBob SquarePants Typing
- Some PBS Kids games
- Zoombinis: Logical Journey
- Zoombinis: Mountain Rescue
- Zoombinis: Island Odyssey
Super Solvers series
- Challenge of the Ancient Empires! (or Ancient Empires)
- Spellbound! (Later re-released as 'Leap Ahead! Spelling')
- Mission: T.H.I.N.K.
- Gizmos & Gadgets!
- Midnight Rescue! (Later re-released as 'Super Solvers Reading' and then 'Leap Ahead! 3rd Grade')
- OutNumbered! (Later re-released as 'Leap Ahead! 3rd Grade')
Treasure/Super Seekers series
Carmen Sandiego series
- Carmen Sandiego's ThinkQuick Challenge
- Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Treasures of Knowledge
- Note: When The Learning Company purchased Brøderbund Software, they gained the rights to the Carmen Sandiego series. Only the Carmen Sandiego games created by The Learning Company are included here. Note that some original Brøderbund games are now sold under The Learning Company name.
- Real World series
- Time Riders in American History
- Operation Neptune (briefly added to the Super Solvers series)
- Math For The Real World
- Adventure/puzzle games
- Trail games
- Tools and other programs
- All-Star Typing
- Read, Write, and Type
- MetroGnomes' Music
- The Children's Writing & Publishing Center
- The Writing Center
- Student Writing Center
- Other early educational programs
- Magic Spells
- Bumble Games
- Bumble Plot
- Moptown Hotel
- Moptown Parade
- Juggles' Rainbow
- Juggles' House
Reference: The Gizmos & Gadgets! user's guide back outside cover
Continuity within game universes
While it may not seem like it at first, many of the series of games do, indeed, involve each other in subtle ways that the developers may just want to sneak in, or otherwise. The ClueFinders games, although part of the same product line, appear to be set in their own universe.
The primary locations of the Reader Rabbit series are in Wordville. On the Wordville map in the front of the Reader Rabbit 3 User's Guide, Treasure Mountain can be seen. This seems to suggest that the two worlds are located relatively close to one another. Another location is Shady Glen, at which all the Super Solver games take place.
- One of the prizes in Math Rabbit as well as in Treasure Cove! is the Neptune, the submarine used in Operation Neptune.
- One of the data logs found in Operation Neptune contains a reference to Ancient Empires as one of the ways the scientists on the space exploration journey like to pass the time.
- The map shown on the Reader Rabbit's user manual depicts Treasure Mountain.
- ^ "Contact Us." The Learning Company. May 2, 2006. Retrieved on June 2, 2010.
- ^ Larry Dignan (1998-12-14). "Mattel/The Learning Co. in $3.2B merger". Ziff Davis. http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-513105.html.
- ^ Abigail Goldman (2002-12-06). "Mattel Settles Shareholders Lawsuit For $122 Million". Los Angeles Times. http://securities.stanford.edu/news-archive/2002/20021206_Settlement05_Goldman.htm.
- ^ a b "Super Solvers". TvTropes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuperSolvers. Retrieved 2011-08-25.
Carmen Sandiego Characters Games Television shows Developers Publishers & distributors
- Grade-based titles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Learning Company — Тип дочерняя компания Год основания 1980 Прежние названия MicroPro International Corp. Материнская компания Houghton Mifflin Harcourt … Википедия
The Learning Company — Logo de The Learning Company Dates clés 1980 Création 1995 Rachat par SoftKey qui prend le nom The Learning Company Mars 1998 Rachat de Mindscape Juin 1998 Rachat de Brøderbund 1999 Rachat par Mattel *Rachat par Gores Technology Group *Racha … Wikipédia en Français
The Teaching Company — NOTOC The Teaching Company is a Chantilly, Virginia company that produces recordings of lectures by nationally top ranked university professors. The professors create courses for the company in a special studio located outside of Washington DC;… … Wikipedia
The Skinners' Company's School for Girls — Infobox UK school name = The Skinners Company s School for Girls size = 200px dms = latitude = 51.572677 longitude = 0.073050 motto = To God Only Be All Glory and Honour Before Honours motto pl = established = 1890 approx = closed = c approx =… … Wikipedia
The Learning Annex — Infobox Company company name = The Learning Annex company company type = Privately Held Corporation foundation = New York (1980) location = flagicon|USA New York, New York, USA industry = Adult Education, Continuing Education, Seminars, Speakers… … Wikipedia
The Learning Curve (film) — Infobox Film name = The Learning Curve image size = caption = Theatrical release poster director = Eric Schwab producer = Oscar Delgado writer = Eric Schwab narrator = starring = Carmine Giovinazzo Norbert Weisser Monet Mazur Tim Ransom Rod… … Wikipedia
The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures: The Mystery of Mathra — Cover of The ClueFinders 3rd Grade Adventures: The Mystery of Mathra Developer(s) The Learning Company … Wikipedia
The ClueFinders 4th Grade Adventures: Puzzle of the Pyramid — The ClueFinders 4th Grade Adventures Developer(s) The Learning Company Publisher(s) … Wikipedia
The ClueFinders 5th Grade Adventures: The Secret of the Living Volcano — The ClueFinders 5th Grade Adventures Developer(s) The Learning Company Publisher(s) … Wikipedia
The Oregon Trail — Разработчик MECC … Википедия