Schwerin Cathedral


Schwerin Cathedral

Schwerin Cathedral (German: "Schweriner Dom"), dedicated to the Virgin Mary and Saint John, was built following the move of the seat of the Bishopric of the Abodrites, established by Henry the Lion, to Schwerin from Mecklenburg in the late 12th century. At first a timber construction served the city as a place of worship. The foundation stone of the cathedral was laid in 1172. After a construction period of seventy-six years, the cathedral was consecrated in 1248. The church is now a Lutheran cathedral.

In 1222 Count Henry of Schwerin had returned from a crusade with the Reliquary of the Holy Blood, an alleged drop of Christ's blood contained in a jewel. This was placed in the cathedral, and caused it to become a place of pilgrimage.

A number of great churches served as models for Schwerin Cathedral: the "Marienkirche" in Lübeck, the "Nikolaikirche" in Stralsund and the cathedral of Ratzeburg.

During the 14th century the nave and transept were completed, as well as the chapter buildings. At the end of the 15th century the cloister on the north side was finished.

The tower, 117.5 metres high, was constructed between 1889 and 1893.

[Schwerin Dom: [http://www.meiser-immobilien.de/images/Schweriner%20Dom.jpg] ] [Schwerin Crucifix: [http://www.dorfkirchen.de/pictures/der_dom3.jpg] ]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.