- Parviz Moin
Parviz Moin Born October 23, 1952
Nationality United States Fields Mechanical engineering Institutions Stanford University Alma mater University of Minnesota
Known for fluid dynamics, turbulent flows Notable awards Humboldt Prize
Fluid Dynamics Prize (APS)
Parviz Moin (Persian: پرویز معین Parviz Mo'in born October 23, 1952, Tehran, Iran) is an Iranian American fluid dynamicist. He is the Franklin P. and Caroline M. Johnson Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Stanford University. Moin has been listed as an ISI Highly Cited author in engineering.
Moin is from Iran, and now lives in California. He received his Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Minnesota in 1974, his Masters degree in Mathematics and his Masters and Ph.D degrees in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford in 1978. Moin became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 1981. He held the posts of National Research Council Fellow, Staff Scientist and Senior Staff Scientist at NASA Ames Research Center. He joined the Stanford faculty in September 1986.
Prof. Moin pioneered the use of direct numerical simulation and large eddy simulation techniques for the study of turbulence physics, control and modelling concepts and has written widely on the structure of turbulent shear flows. His current interests include: interaction of turbulent flows and shock waves, aerodynamic noise and hydroacoustics, turbulence control, large eddy simulation and parallel computing.
Moin is the founding director of the Center for Turbulence Research at Stanford and Ames. Established in 1987 as a research consortium between NASA and Stanford, Center of Turbulence Research is devoted to fundamental studies of turbulent flows. Center of Turbulence Research is widely recognized as the international focal point for turbulence research, attracting diverse groups of researchers from engineering, mathematics and physics.
Awards and honors
Moin has been awarded NASA Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal (1985), Space Act Award, the Lawrence Sperry Award of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, and the Humboldt Prize of the Federal Republic of Germany. Prof. Moin is a Fellow of the American Physical Society and an elected Fellow of the National Academy of Engineering. He is the recipient of Fluid Dynamics Prize of APS in 1996. In 2010 he was elected a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and in 2011 he was elected to the United States National Academy of Sciences.
- ^ Array of Contemporary American Physicists, American Institute of Physics. Accessed June 1, 2011
- ^ Parviz Moin at Stanford University
- ^ ISI Highly Cited Author - Parviz Moin
- ^ "Parviz Moin". U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project). Ancestry.com. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?ti=0&indiv=try&db=usnatindex_awap&h=5755963. Retrieved June 1, 2011. "Name: Parviz Moin; Birth Date: 23 Oct 1952; Age at event: 29; Court District: California; Date of Action: 1 Dec 1981" (subscription required)
- ^ AEM spotlight: Parviz Moin honored with OAA from University, University of Minnesota, May 12, 2008. Accessed May 31, 2011
- ^ a b c 1996 Fluid Dynamics Prize Recipient, American Physical Society. Accessed May 31, 2011
- ^ Four Stanford faculty elected to National Academy of Engineering, Stanford New Service, February 26, 1997. Accessed May 31, 2011
- ^ Ten scholars, researchers named to American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Stanford University News, may 3, 2010. Accessed May 31, 2011
- ^ "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter M". American Academy of Arts and Sciences. http://www.amacad.org/publications/BookofMembers/ChapterM.pdf. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- ^ National Academy of Sciences Members and Foreign Associates Elected, United States National Academy of Sciences, May 3, 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Moin (disambiguation) — Moin (Persian: معین) may refer to: Contents 1 Given name 2 Surname 3 Other uses 4 See also Given … Wikipedia
Parviz — Infobox Given Name Revised name = Parviz imagesize= caption= pronunciation= gender = Male meaning = region = origin = Persian related names = Pervez footnotes = Parviz (PerB| پرویز) is a Persian male given name.The following people have the given … Wikipedia
Direkte Numerische Simulation — Unter Direkter Numerischer Simulation, kurz DNS, versteht man die rechnerische Lösung der vollständigen instationären Navier Stokes Gleichungen. Sie unterscheidet sich von anderen Berechnungsmethoden der Strömungsmechanik dadurch, dass… … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of Iranian Americans — This is a list of notable Iranian Americans of all Iranian ethnic backgrounds.List Academia/science* Ali Reza Mohseni Ejiyeh, Specialist of IT and programming * Shahriar Afshar, physicist, namesake of Afshar experiment * Siavash Alamouti, CTO… … Wikipedia
List of contemporary Iranian scientists, scholars, and engineers — The following is a notable Iranian scholars, scientists and engineers around the world from the modern era. Contents: Top · 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z This is an incomplete list, which may never be … Wikipedia
Fluid Dynamics Prize (APS) — The Fluid Dynamics Prize is a prize that has been awarded annually by the American Physical Society since 1979. The recipient is chosen for outstanding achievement in fluid dynamics research . As of 2007 the prize is valued at $10,000. Recipients … Wikipedia
Iran-United States Claims Tribunal — Das Iran United States Claims Tribunal, kurz IUSCT (zu deutsch, sinngemäß: Iranisch US amerikanisches Forderungsgericht) ist ein am 1. Juli 1981 eingesetztes Schiedsgericht. Es ist für die internationale Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit von größter… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Horace Lamb — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Lamb. Sir Horace Lamb Horace Lamb Naissance 29 novembre … Wikipédia en Français
Hydrodynamik-Preis der American Physical Society — Der Fluid Dynamics Prize der American Physical Society ist ein jährlich vergebener Preis für Arbeiten in der Hydrodynamik. Er ist mit 10.000 US Dollar dotiert und wird seit 1979 verliehen. 2004 wurde er mit dem Otto Laporte Preis vereinigt.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Ruhollah Khomeini — Infobox President honorific prefix= Ayatollah name = Ruhollah Musavi Khomeini birth date = birth date|1902|9|24|df=y birth place = Khomein, Markazi Province, Persian Empire death date = death date and age|1989|06|04|1902|09|21 death place =… … Wikipedia