- Star Trek games
The enduring popularity of the
Star Trekscience fiction franchise has led to numerous games in many different formats, beginning in 1967 with a board gamebased on .
* Star Trek game, ages 4-10, produced by
* Star Trek game, ages 8-adult, produced in UK by
* Star Trek game, produced by Milton Bradley, based on Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
* Star Trek: The Adventure Game, produced by
West End Games(1985)
* Golden Trivia Game: Star Trek Edition (1985)
* Golden Trivia Cards: Star Trek Edition (1985)
* published by
FASAin the 1980s, based on the combat system from the
* Star Trek: The Final Frontier, produced by Toys & Games Limited (1992)
* How to Host a Mystery, produced by Decipher in a Star Trek: The Next Generation version (1992)
* Star Trek: The Next Generation: Romulan Challenge, produced by MMG LTD (1994)
* Monopoly, produced by
Hasbrolicensee USAopoly in two versions representing the original Star Trek series and Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Star Fleet Battles, the tactical tabletop wargamecreated by Steven V. Cole and produced by Amarillo Design Bureau, Inc. (1979)
Federation Commander, the newest tactical tabletop wargamein the Star Fleet Universeproduced by Amarillo Design Bureau, Inc.
Federation and Empire, the strategic companion to Star Fleet Battlesalso produced by Amarillo Design Bureau, Inc. (1986)
Star Trek Customizable Card Game, produced by Decipher.
* , produced by Fleer.
Official game titles include the following:
* , produced by Heritage Models (1978).
* , the original Star Trek RPG produced by
* Prime Directive, designed by
Amarillo Design Bureau, Inc.and published by Task Force Games. (1993) Later editions were produced for the GURPS3rd edition (2002) and 4th edtion (2005), and d20(2005).
* , online text based game endorsed by Paramount Pictures and advertised on the Star Trek website from 1997 until sponsorship was lost 2000. [http://startrek.acalltoduty.com/history/index.html] . (1997)
* Star Trek RPG, produced by Last Unicorn Games. (1998)
* Star Trek Roleplaying Game, produced by
Decipher, Inc.. (2002)
Star Trek Simulation Forum, has served as the chat based role-playing gameof the official Star Trekwebsite since October 2002. [http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/community/chat/index.html] . Remains the only simmingorganization currently recognized by the site. (2002)
Star Trek Online, a MMORPGproduced by Cryptic Studios. "(Pending Release)"
Starship simulator games
Starship simulator games create the experience of commanding and operating a starship, and usually allow the player to handle a variety of functions, and to allocate resources such as ship power and systems. Some early Star Trek games in this category have had a huge effect on subsequent games in their genre, often leading to new level of depth and complexity in programming and/or gameplay. This includes both computer games and non-computer board games, since the Star Fleet Battles game series provides an impressive starship simulation, and is wholly a tabletop board wargame.
Star Fleet Battlesis different from most other wargames, which usually indicate unit strengths with simple numerical ratings. SFB players are able to deploy and manage power for a variety of ship weapons and resources. This is enabled through the use of an innovative tick sheet system, which manages power use for each ship, and also tracks which weapons and systems are in use.
Some of the earliest and more influential space simulator games were Star Trek games. One of the earliest games in this was
Super Star Trek, an early text-based, DOS-based game. This game created an impressive starship experience using only text-based commands and graphics. Another is the Star Trek (text game), which originated in 1971 and was ported to many different systems. The game Begin is considered notable for having a convincing model of game dynamics, as it has very few random elements, and is highly mathematical.
In later years, fewer games were produced within this genre, and more games were produced in the adventure games genre. The first new recent game was , which incorporated many Star Trek elements, but was criticized for depicting starship operation as more akin to fighter planes than capital ships. A sequel,
Klingon Academy, was actually quite different, and was one of the first games to depict starship operation with an appropriate amount of complexity.
The Starfleet Command game series released by Interplay was based largely on the tabletop game
Starfleet Battles, and comprised , , and . It constitutes one of the most definitive current games, depicting a wide array of ship systems and Star Trek storylines. This series had a more naval flavor, and depicted a number of ship systems. This series spawned a very large multiplayer ladder competition first with the "Starlance" system, and later on the "GamerZone" ladder. Bridge Commanderwas another addition to this genre, reflecting the more deliberative, command aspects of this experience.
In late 2006,
Bethesda Softworksreleased several console games which carry on the tradition of classic Star Trek ship simulator/combat games, Star Trek Legacyfor the PC and Xbox 360, for the PlayStation 2, for the Nintendo DSand the PlayStation Portableand for the Wiiand PlayStation 2.
Several online games have appeared on the Internet.
Vega Trekis a game modwhich is planned to eventually become active as a multiplayer game. [ [http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/vegatrek/features.html Posting on official website] . ] Flashtrek 2 is one of the first games in this category which is online and wholly browser-based. It also appears that Star Trek Online, which is an MMORPGand is currently under development, will fit into this category, since starship operation will reportedly be one of the key aspects of this game. [ [http://play.tm/story/20184 Mr Spock to lift lid on Star Trek Online] , play.tm, Aug 6, 2008. ]
pinballgames have been based on the Star Trek series:
*Star Trek, released by
*, released by
Data EastPinball (now Stern Pinball) in 1991.
*, created by legendary pinball designer
Steve Ritchieand released by Williams Electronics in November 1993 as part of Williams' " SuperPin" series.
* Star Trek Super Phaser 2 Target Game appears similar to
Laser Tag. (1976)
* Star Trek Phaser Battle Game is like a tabletop arcade game. (1976)
Handheld electronic games
Numerous stand-alone electronic handheld and tabletop games have been produced by manufacturers like
Bandai, Coleco, Konami, and others. Pair Match, manufactured by Bandai in 1984, appeared in several episodes.
List of games in Star Trek
* [http://www.all-top-games.com/gamecategories/Star_Trek_games.html Online Star Trek Games] - A large collection of free online star trek games
* [http://startrek-games.com/startrekgames/ Star Trek Games Database] - A large database of Star Trek game information provided by [http://startrek-games.com StarTrek-Games.com]
* [http://gaming.trekcore.com/ TrekCore Gaming Museum] Information on all Star Trek games, [http://gaming.trekcore.com/plat_list.html by platform] , and includes [http://gaming.trekcore.com/onlinegames/ Current online games] .
* [http://www.startrek-gamers.com/history2.htm Star Trek Games History] by Victor1st of [http://www.startrek-gamers.com Star Trek Gamers] , 2006
* [http://www.gameolosophy.com/Games/Adventure/Star-Trek/Star-Trek-the-Top-10-Free-Fan-Made-Games.122247 Star Trek: the Top 10 freeware games]
* [http://www.20q.net/startrek 20Q Star Trek] - An online artificial intelligence game that covers all classic Star Trek TV shows and movies, plus characters, gadgets and locations
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Dominion Wars — Developer(s) Gizmo Games Publisher(s) Simon Schuster … Wikipedia
Star Trek (script game) — Star Trek was a text based mainframe computer game written by Don Daglow on a PDP 10 timesharing computer at Pomona College in 1972, and upgraded periodically through 1974, including contributions by Jonathan Osser. The game was picked up by the… … Wikipedia
Star Trek spin-off fiction — The Star Trek franchise has produced a large number of novels, comic books, video games, and other materials, which are generally considered non canon. Contents 1 The Animated Series 2 Continuity 3 Technical and reference manuals … Wikipedia
Star Trek Gamers — Infobox Website name = Star Trek Gamers favicon = caption = The front page as of August 21st, 2007 url = http://www.startrek gamers.com commercial = type = Gaming Fan Site registration = owner = Victor Mullin author = Victor Mullin, Katherine… … Wikipedia
Star Trek canon — The Star Trek canon is usually defined as comprising the television series , , , , , and the ten motion pictures, and excluding everything else. [http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/help/faqs/faq/676.html What is considered Star Trek canon ?]… … Wikipedia
Star Trek — Para otros usos de este término, véase Star Trek (desambiguación). Este artículo trata sobre la franquicia Star Trek. Para la primera serie de televisión de Star Trek, véase Star Trek: la serie original. Star Trek Franquicia Género Ciencia… … Wikipedia Español
Star Trek Online — Infobox VG title = Star Trek Online developer = Cryptic Studios publisher = TBA engine = Cryptic Engine [http://www.startrekonline.com/about star trek online] version = Unknown released = Fall 2009 cite journal title = Game Informer volume = 62… … Wikipedia
Star Trek (role-playing game) — A Star Trek RPG or Star Trek Role Playing Game is a role playing game that is set in the Star Trek fictional universe.Specific Star Trek role playing games include:* The FASA Star Trek RPG (1982) * The Prime Directive RPG edited by Task Force… … Wikipedia
Star Trek Generations (video game) — Infobox VG| title = Star Trek Generations developer = Microprose publisher = Microprose designer = engine = released = 1997 genre = Action game, Adventure games, Strategy game modes = Single player ratings = platforms = IBM PC, Game Boy… … Wikipedia
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine — intertitle Format Military science fiction Created by Rick Berman Michael Piller … Wikipedia