- Maritime museum
A maritime museum (sometimes nautical museum) is a museum specializing in the display of objects relating to ships and travel on large bodies of water. A subcategory of maritime museums are naval museums, which focus on navies and the military use of the sea.
The great prize of a maritime museum is a historic ship (or a replica) made accessible as a museum ship, but these are large and require a considerable budget to maintain, many museums preserve smaller or more fragile ships or partial ships within the museum buildings and most museums exhibit interesting pieces of ships (such as a figurehead or cannon), ship models, and miscellaneous small items like cutlery, uniforms, and so forth.
Ship modellers often have a close association with maritime museums; not only does the museum have items that help the modeller achieve better accuracy, but the museum provides a display space for models larger than will comfortably fit in a modeller's home; and of course the museum is happy to take a ship model as a donation. Museums will also commission models.
There are thousands of maritime museums in the world. Many belong to the International Congress of Maritime Museums (ICMM), which coordinates members' efforts to acquire, preserve, and display their material.
At 40 acres (162,000 m²), Mystic Seaport in Mystic, Connecticut can lay claim to the title of largest museum; it preserves not only a number of sailing ships, but also a large number of original seaport buildings, including a ship chandlery, sail loft, ropewalk, and so forth. However, the UK's National Maritime Museum in Greenwich is also a contender, with many items of great historical significance, such as the actual uniform worn by Horatio Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar.
A recent activity of maritime museums is to build replicas of ships, since there are few survivors that have not already been restored and put on display.
Preservation of ships
The preservation of ships in museums ensures that ancient and historic vessels are preserved for posterity in optimum conditions and are available for academic study and for public education and interest.
Remains of ancient and historic ships and boats can be seen in museums around the world. Where a ship is in a good state of preservation it can sometimes act as a museum in its own right. Many museum ships, such as HMS Victory are popular tourist attractions. Some ships are too fragile to be exposed outdoors or are incomplete and must be preserved indoors. The remains of the Mary Rose for example are kept in a purpose designed building so that conservation treatment can be applied.
In some cases, archaeologists have discovered traces of ships and boats where there are no extant physical remains to be preserved, such as Sutton Hoo, where museum displays can show what the vessel would have looked like, although the vessel itself no longer exists.
Notable maritime museums
- See also: List of Transport Museums
Asia and Oceania
- Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Hong Kong Maritime Museum, Stanley, Hong Kong
- Hoods Tower Naval Museum, Trincomalee, Sri Lanka
- Macau Maritime Museum, Macau
- Maritime Museum of Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Museum of Maritime Science, Tokyo, Japan
- National Maritime Museum Auckland, New Zealand
- National Maritime Museum, Galle, Sri Lanka
- Western Australian Maritime Museum, Fremantle, Western Australia, Australia
- Pakistan Maritime Museum, Karachi, Pakistan
- Maritime Center Vellamo, Kotka, Finland
- Cité de la Mer, Cherbourg-Octeville, France
- Víkin, Maritime Museum in Reykjavik, Iceland
- National Maritime Museum of Ireland, Dún Laoghaire, Ireland
- Galata Museo del Mare in Genoa, Italy
- Nederlands Scheepvaartmuseum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Maritime Museum in Szczecin, Poland
- Museu de Marinha, Lisbon, Portugal
- Museum of the World Ocean, Kaliningrad, Russia
- Museum Ria de Bilbao, Bilbao, Spain
- Maritime Museum, Stockholm, Sweden
- Vasa Museum, Stockholm, Sweden
- Turkish Naval Museum, Istanbul, Turkey
- Eyemouth Maritime Centre, Eyemouth, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Hull Maritime Museum, Kingston upon Hull, United Kingdom
- Museum of Hartlepool, Hartlepool, England, United Kingdom
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, England, United Kingdom
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
- Southampton Maritime Museum, Southampton, England, United Kingdom
- Royal Danish Naval Museum, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Aalborg Søfarts- og Marinemuseum, Aalborg, Denmark
- The Danish Maritime Museum, Kronborg Castle, Elsinore, Denmark
- The Fisheries and Maritime Museum, Esbjerg, Denmark
- The Frigate Jylland, Ebeltoft, Denmark
- Rauma Maritime Museum, Rauma, Finland
The Council of American Maritime Museums serves as network for museum professionals in North America.
- Baltimore Maritime Museum, Baltimore, Maryland, US
- Bermuda Maritime Museum, Sandys Parish, Bermuda
- Columbia River Maritime Museum, Astoria, Oregon, US
- Coral World Ocean Park, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum, Detroit, Michigan, US
- Great Lakes Floating Maritime Museum, Duluth, Minnesota, US
- H. Lee White Marine Museum, Oswego, New York, US
- Hampton Roads Naval Museum, Norfolk, Virginia, US
- Herreshoff Marine Museum, Bristol, Rhode Island, US
- Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, Basin Harbor, Vermont, US
- Long Island Maritime Museum, Long Island, New York, US
- Los Angeles Maritime Museum, Los Angeles, California, US
- Mariners' Museum, Newport News, Virginia, US
- Maritime & Seafood Industry Museum, Biloxi, MS, US
- Maritime Museum of British Columbia, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Maritime Museum of San Diego, San Diego, California, US
- Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Maritime Museum, San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, California, US
- Mystic Seaport, Mystic, Connecticut, US
- National Museum of Naval Aviation, Pensacola, Florida, US
- Nauticus, Norfolk, Virginia, US
- Naval Undersea Museum, Keyport, Washington, US
- Naval War College Museum, Newport, Rhode Island, US
- PT Boat Museum, Fall River, Massachusetts, US
- Santa Barbara Maritime Museum, Port Hueneme, California US
- Site historique maritime de la Pointe-au-Père, Rimouski, Quebec, Canada
- South Street Seaport, New York, New York, US
- Tahoe Maritime Museum, Homewood, California, US
- Tuckerton Seaport, Tuckerton, New Jersey, US
- United States Naval Academy Museum, Annapolis, Maryland, US
- U.S. Navy Museum, Washington, D.C., US
- U.S. Navy Submarine Force Library and Museum, Groton, Connecticut, US
- USS Constitution Museum, Boston, Massachusetts, US
- Vancouver Maritime Museum, Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
- Wisconsin Maritime Museum, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, US
- Maritime Museum of Kuwait
- List of maritime museums in the United States
- List of museum ships
- Museum ship
- National Maritime Museums
- Ship replica
- Ships preserved in museums
- Aymar, B. (1967). A pictorial treasury of the marine museums of the world; A guide to the maritime collections, restorations, replicas, and marine museums in twenty-three countries. New York: Crown.
- Evans, M. H., & West, J. (1998). Maritime museums: A guide to the collections and museum ships in Britain and Ireland. London: Chatham Pub.
- Neill, P., & Krohn, B. E. (1991). Great maritime museums of the world. New York: Balsam Press in association with H.N. Abrams.
- Smith, R. H. (2006). Smith's guide to maritime museums of North America. Del Mar, CA: C Books.
- Stammers, M. (1978). Discovering maritime museums and historic ships. Discovering series, no. 228. Aylesbury [England]: Shire Publications
- Stanford, J. M. (1990). Sea history's guide to American and Canadian maritime museums. Croton-on-Hudson: Sea History Press.
- Sullivan, D. (1978). Old ships, boats & maritime museums. London: Coracle Books.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maritime Museum of BC — Location Bastion Square Victoria, British Columbia Type Maritime museum Website http://mmbc.bc.ca/ The Maritime Museum of BC reflects the Pacific maritime history and culture of Canada s west coast, with an exhibits and public program mand … Wikipedia
maritime museum — museum featuring issues concerning the sea and navigation … English contemporary dictionary
Maritime Museum — Морской музей (в Сан Франциско) … Словарь топонимов США
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic — Established 1948 Location 1675 Lower Water Street Halifax Nova Scotia … Wikipedia
Maritime Museum (Indonesia) — Maritime Museum Museum Bahari A former storage area within the Maritime Museum (Indonesian: Museum Bahari). In the foreground is the iron hook that once supported a wooden gallery that keep the stored metals from rain. Established July 7, 1977 … Wikipedia
Maritime Museum of Tasmania — Established 1974 (current building 2000) Location Hobart, Tasmania, Australia Website TMAG website The Maritime Museum of Tasmania is a privately operated … Wikipedia
Maritime Museum Rotterdam — Maritime Museum with HNLMS Buffel to the right Established 1873 Location Rotterdam Website … Wikipedia
Maritime Museum Residences — (Амстердам,Нидерланды) Категория отеля: Адрес: Prins Hendrikkade, Амстер … Каталог отелей
Maritime Museum, Helsinki — is a museum in Helsinki, Finland … Wikipedia
Maritime Museum of Crete — is a museum in Chania, Crete , Greece … Wikipedia