- Jacobs Aircraft Engine Company
The Jacobs Aircraft Engine Company was formed in 1929 in
Philadelphia. Later the company moved to Pottstown, Pennsylvania.
An early product was a small 55 hp 3 cylinder
engine. By 1933, Jacobs had developed its most famous engine, the L-4 seven-cylinder radial; it was better known as by its military designation, the R-755.
Later developments included the L-5 or R-830 (285 hp.5.5x5=831.54/13.627L), and L-6 or R-915 (330 hp. 5.5x5.5=914.696/14.989L)
After World War II, Jacobs became a division of Republic Industries (not Republic Aircraft).
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.