- Maslin Beach, South Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
Maslin Beach recreation reserve, viewed from the north, from the outskirts of the town of the same name
Population: 1,066 (2006 Census)
1,012 (2001 Census)
Postcode: 5170 Location: 35 km (22 mi) SW of Adelaide city centre LGA: City of Onkaparinga State District: Kaurna (2011) Federal Division: Kingston (2011) Suburbs around Maslin Beach: Moana Seaford Rise McLaren Vale Gulf St Vincent Maslin Beach Tatachilla Port Willunga Aldinga Aldinga
The name refers to the town of Maslin Beach, the beach after which it was named and the suburb which contains both. In this article, the name shall be taken to refer to the suburb, unless stated otherwise.
Maslin Beach is located between Main South Road, which forms the suburbs eastern boundary, and Gulf St Vincent.
The age distribution of Maslin Beach residents is similar to that of the greater Australian population. 71.7% of residents were over 25 years in 2006, compared to the Australian average of 66.5%; and 28.3% were younger than 25 years, compared to the Australian average of 33.5%.
Local newspapers include The Times and On The Coast.
Facilities and attractions
The most well-known attraction in the suburb is the beach of Maslin Beach. Also known as Maslin's Beach or, simply, Maslin's, the beach is the site of a cliff-lined recreation reserve stretching from Maslin Beach town in the north to Blanche Point in the south.
In 1975, the southern half of the beach was declared Australia's first official nude beach. The beach is almost 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) long, so the area reserved for nude bathing is away from other beach users.
As well as the beach, there is also a park located between Old Coach Road and Gulf Parade.
- John F. Davis, painter
- ^ a b c d Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Maslin Beach (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=SSC42016&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "Maslin Beach (State Suburb)". 2001 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2001&areacode=SSC41996&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- ^ a b "Maslin Beach, South Australia (Adelaide)". Postcodes-Australia. Postcodes-Australia.com. http://www.postcodes-australia.com/areas/sa/adelaide/maslin+beach. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- ^ "Electoral Districts - Electoral District for the 2010 Election". Electoral Commission SA. http://www.ecsa.sa.gov.au/apps/news/?year=2010. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- ^ "Find my electorate". Australian Electoral Commission. 15 April 2011. http://apps.aec.gov.au/esearch. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- ^ a b c Adelaide and surrounds street directory (47th ed.). UBD. 2009. ISBN 978-0-7319-2336-6.
- ^ "South Australian Newspapers". Newspapers.com.au. Australia G'day. http://www.newspapers.com.au/SA/. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- ^ "About Maslin Beach". Maslin Beach Community Association official website. MBCA. http://www.maslinbeach.net/about.html. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- ^ "Public Transport in Adelaide". Adelaide Metro official website. Dept. for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure, Public Transport Division. http://timetables.adelaidemetro.com.au/ttsearch.php. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "City of Onkaparinga". Official website. City of Onkaparinga. http://www.onkaparinga.sa.gov.au. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- "Maslin Beach Community Association". Official website. MBCA. http://www.maslinbeach.net. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- Maslin Beach at the Internet Movie Database, a 1997 film set in Maslin Beach
Suburbs of the City of OnkaparingaAberfoyle Park · Aldinga · Aldinga Beach · Blewitt Springs · Chandlers Hill · Cherry Gardens · Christie Downs · Christies Beach · Clarendon · Coromandel East · Coromandel Valley · Darlington · Dorset Vale · Flagstaff Hill · Hackham · Hackham West · Happy Valley · Huntfield Heights · Ironbank · Kangarilla · Lonsdale · McLaren Flat · McLaren Vale · Maslin Beach · Moana · Morphett Vale · Noarlunga Centre · Noarlunga Downs · O'Halloran Hill · O'Sullivan Beach · Old Noarlunga · Old Reynella · Onkaparinga Hills · Port Noarlunga · Port Noarlunga South · Port Willunga · Reynella · Reynella East · Seaford · Seaford Heights · Seaford Meadows · Seaford Rise · Sellicks Beach · Sellicks Hill · Tatachilla · The Range · Whites Valley · Willunga · Willunga South · Woodcroft
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Christies Beach, South Australia — Christies Beach Adelaide, South Australia View of the Christies Beach coastline from Witton Bluff … Wikipedia
O'Sullivan Beach, South Australia — O Sullivans Beach Adelaide, South Australia Population: 1,965 (2006 Census) Established … Wikipedia
McLaren Vale, South Australia — This article discusses the township in South Australia. For the wine region of the same name, see McLaren Vale. McLaren Vale Adelaide, South Australia … Wikipedia
Old Reynella, South Australia — Old Reynella Adelaide, South Australia Old South Road, Old Reynella, facing north … Wikipedia
Old Noarlunga, South Australia — Old Noarlunga Adelaide, South Australia Population: 1,252 (2006 Census) Established … Wikipedia
McLaren Flat, South Australia — McLaren Flat South Australia Population: 642 (2006 Census) Postcode: 5171 … Wikipedia
Coromandel Valley, South Australia — Coromandel Valley Adelaide, South Australia Population: 3,779 (2006 Census) Postcode: 505 … Wikipedia
Noarlunga Centre, South Australia — Noarlunga Centre Adelaide, South Australia Centro Colonnades Postcode … Wikipedia
Cherry Gardens, South Australia — Cherry Gardens South Australia Population: 701 (2006 Census) Postcode: 5157 … Wikipedia
Coromandel East, South Australia — Coromandel East Adelaide, South Australia Population: 296 (2006 Census) Postcode: 5157 … Wikipedia