- Maryland Route 439
Old York Road Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length: 7.19 mi (11.57 km) Major junctions West end: MD 45 in Maryland Line I-83 in Maryland Line East end: MD 23 in Shawsville Location Counties: Baltimore, Harford Highway system ← MD 436 MD 440 →
Maryland Route 439 (MD 439) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Old York Road, the state highway runs 7.19 miles (11.57 km) from MD 45 in Maryland Line east to MD 23 in Shawsville. In conjunction with MD 23 and Interstate 83 (I-83), MD 439 connects Bel Air with York, Pennsylvania. The state highway was constructed at both ends in the early 1930s. The middle section of MD 439 was brought into the state highway system around 1980.
MD 439 begins at an intersection with MD 45 (York Road) in Maryland Line a short distance south of the Pennsylvania state line. The state highway heads east through a four-ramp partial cloverleaf interchange with I-83 (Baltimore–Harrisburg Expressway). MD 439 heads southeast and passes through the hamlet of Shane as the highway follows the height of land between the drainage basins of Little Gunpowder Falls and Deer Creek. Shortly after crossing the Baltimore–Harford county line, the state highway reaches its eastern terminus at MD 23 (Norrisville Road) in Shawsville.
Old York Road was an alternate, less-direct route for traffic between Towson and Maryland Lane compared to York Road. MD 439 is one of several extant stretches of the road; another segment is from south of Shawsville to MD 145 in Jacksonville, part of which is MD 562. MD 439 was paved as a state highway in two segments between 1930 and 1933: from York Road east to Lentz Road, and from the Baltimore–Harford county line east to MD 23. The state highway originally had an acute intersection with York Road north of the present terminal intersection. MD 439 was relocated when I-83 was completed from Parkton to the Pennsylvania state line in 1959. The state highway remained in pieces until the intervening section of Old York Road was brought under state maintenance around 1981.
County Location Mile
Destinations Notes Baltimore Maryland Line 0.00 MD 45 (York Road) – Parkton, Shrewsbury Western terminus 0.24 I-83 (Baltimore–Harrisburg Expressway) – Baltimore, York I-83 Exit 36 Harford Shawsville 7.19 MD 23 (Norrisville Road) – Norrisville, Jarrettsville Eastern terminus 1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- ^ a b c "Highway Location Reference: Baltimore County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2010. http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Location/2010_BALTIMORE.pdf. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- ^ a b c "Highway Location Reference: Harford County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2010. http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Location/2010_HARFORD.pdf. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- ^ a b c Google, Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 439 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=MD-439+E%2FOld+York+Rd&daddr=MD-439+E%2FOld+York+Rd&hl=en&sll=39.703984,-76.644423&sspn=0.007809,0.01929&geocode=FUTZXQIdVHRu-w%3BFaviXAIdAuFv-w&mra=ls&t=h&z=12. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- ^ Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1927–1930 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. 1930-10-01. p. 199. http://www.archive.org/details/reportofstateroa1927mary. Retrieved 2011-07-22.
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1933 ed.).
- ^ Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1959 ed.).
- ^ Maryland State Highway Administration. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1981-82 ed.).
Roads in Baltimore County, Maryland State highways U.S. Highways Interstate Highways Roads in Harford County, Maryland State highways U.S. Highways Interstate Highways
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maryland Route 436 — Ridgely Avenue Maryland Route 436 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 147 — Harford Road Maryland Route 147 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 146 — Route information … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 165 — Route information … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 138 — Route information … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 562 — Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length: 1.39 mi … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 440 — Dublin Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 2 — Solomons Island Road, Ritchie Highway … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 108 — Route information … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 144 — Route information … Wikipedia