- Timeline for October following the September 11 attacks
All times, except where otherwise noted, in New York Time (EDT). This is four hours before GMT.
October 1 2001
* The official count of bodies found at the site of the
World Trade Centeris 344; 289 have been identified. The official missing count at the World Trade Center is 5,219.
Rudy Giulianispeaks to the United Nations General Assembly, the first time the mayor of the City of New York has done so in fifty years.
October 2 2001
* The official count of bodies found at the site of the World Trade Center is 363; 301 have been identified.
NATO's secretary general, Lord Robertson announces that the United Statesprovided "clear and compelling proof" in oral briefings to NATO al-Qaeda's responsibility who affirm the invocation of the mutual defense clause of the organization's charter.
* 8 p.m. EDT: "", a tribute to
John Lennonthat became a concert of prayer and healing for New York City to benefit the relief efforts, hosted by Kevin Spaceyand featuring Dave Matthews, Moby, Stone Temple Pilots, Nelly Furtado, Shelby Lynne, Alanis Morissette, Cyndi Lauper, The Isley Brothers, Lou Reed, Marc Anthony, Natalie Merchant, Yolanda Adams, Sean Lennonand Yoko Ono, is held at Radio City Music Hall and simultaneously broadcast live on the TNT and WB networks. It had been scheduled before the attack to be taped September 20and broadcast on October 9to promote a non-violent world.
October 3 2001
* The official missing count at the World Trade Center is 4,986, reduced from the earlier count of 5,219 after duplicate entries on the lists compiled by police and the city family center were removed. 369 people have been confirmed dead from the World Trade Center. 310 have been identified.
* President Bush makes a second visit to
New York City. He arrived at Kennedy International Airport, then flew in Marine One, the presidential helicopter to the Downtown Manhattan Heliport, where he was met by Rudy Giuliani and George Pataki. He then went to Federal Hall to meet with business executives. He met privately with Michael Bloomberg for 10 minutes, then met with CEO's, including Douglas N. Daft (Coca-Cola Company), Gerald M. Levin (AOL Time Warner Inc.), Maurice R. Greenberg (American International Group, commercial insurer), and Dean O'Hare (Chubb Corporation, insurer). They encouraged corporate tax cuts. He then went in his motorcade of 22 motorcycles and 37 cars to PS 130 in Chinatown and met with Debra Nelson's first grade class. His final stop was lunch at Engine Company 55, which lost five men, in Chinatown, where he delivered five $11 pizzas from Sal's on Broome Street. [http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/04/nyregion/04BUSH.html]
* 7:45 a.m. EDT Greyhound bus lines in the United States halts all service, after a man slits the throat of the driver of bus No. 1115, en route from Nashville to Atlanta, 50 miles southeast of Nashville. The bus crashed, killing four of the 36 passengers. Early reports stated at least 10 were killed.
October 4 2001
* The official count of bodies found at the site of the World Trade Center is 380; 321 have been identified.
* Reagan National Airport opens in the morning with limited service for the first time since
* In the morning, President Bush speaks to the Emir of
Bahrain(which hosts the U.S. 5th Fleet). He then speaks to the president of Poland, goes to the State Department to announce additional food aid to Afghanistan. He has lunch with members of Congress, then goes to the Department of Labor to announce his intention to extend unemployment benefits in the 13 most-affected states by an additional 13 weeks.
* The New York City comptroller, Alan Hevesi, states that the cost to New York from "the crash, the attack, the calamity, the murder" is already $45 billion and will reach $105 billion over the next two years.
* It is reported that a
Russian jetliner en route from Tel Aviv to Siberia with 77 passengers exploded in mid-air before plunging into the Black Sea. All flights from Ben-Gurion Airportwere grounded in response (it is later confirmed to have been accidentally shot down by a Ukrainian missile).
* British Prime Minister Blair tells the House of Commons they will be given
incontrovertible evidenceof Osama bin Laden's involvement, which includes direct ties with three of the hijackers, though some evidence will remain concealed.
* U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld meets with President Hosni Mubarak in
Egypt. He also announces air drops of humanitarian food aid in Afghanistan.
* Pakistan says they have seen evidence against
Osama bin Ladenstrong enough to support an indictment.
* A Nashville newspaper reports that the Greyhound bus attacker was a drug addict with a history of erratic behavior.
* 3:30 p.m. EDT: At a White House press briefing, Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson states that a 63-year-old Lantana, Florida resident was admitted to a hospital on Tuesday with non-contagious pulmonary anthrax. The British-born outdoorsman is the only known case, and the FBI, HHS, and CDC state that there is no evidence to support that this would be an act of bioterrorism (he dies later that day). See
2001 anthrax attacksfor later developments, showing that this was an act of terrorism.
* In a White House briefing, Ari Fleischer says that the U.S. has no intention of making their evidence against Osama bin Laden public, and a few minutes later, says that the Bush administration believes it is important to be forthright in sharing information with the American public.
October 5 2001
* The official missing count at the World Trade Center is 4,979.
October 6 2001
* The official count of bodies found at the site of the World Trade Center is 393; 335 have been identified.
* President Bush tells Congressional leaders about the upcoming attack.
October 7 2001
* The official count of bodies found at the site of the World Trade Center is still 393; 353 have been identified.
* Osama bin Laden releases a videotaped statement before the attacks begin.
* U.S.-led military response begins:
Timeline of the War in Afghanistan (October 2001)
October 8 2001
* 1:25 p.m. EDT (approx): Health officials announce that anthrax spores were found in office where the man killed by anthrax worked. They were found in the nose of a co-worker and on a computer keyboard in the Boca Raton, Florida offices of the tabloid The Sun. In a press briefing,
John Ashcroftstates that the FBI has sealed the building is working with the CDC to determine if this is a criminal or terrorist act. See 2001 anthrax attacks.
* 3:00 p.m CST (approx.): On
American AirlinesFlight 1238, en route from Los Angelesto Chicago, a man with severe mental problems stormed the cockpit 40 minutes before landing in Chicago, causing the plane to drop sharply and causing a panic. In light of the fear ignited by 9/11, flight crew and passengers were quick to wrestle the man to the ground and subdue him. Additionally, a distress signalwas sent by the pilots, causing two F-16s to race at supersonicspeeds to intercept and escort the aircraft to O'Hare International Airport. This caused a sonic boomin Chicago's northwest suburbs, startling hundreds of thousands of people. [http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?did=83625993&sid=1&Fmt=3&clientId=8829&RQT=309&VName=PQD]
October 12 2001
* 12:30 p.m. EDT Rudy Giuliani holds a press conference detailing earlier reports about a case of anthrax in New York City. A female NBC Nightly News employee is reported to have been exposed to anthrax. It is believed that she received it from a letter containing powder on
September 25. The powder in the letter was tested negative for anthrax. A skin test of the employee by the CDC returned positive this morning for non-contagious cutaneous anthrax. She had been exposed on September 25. She began presenting symptoms on the 28th. She began receiving Cipro on October 1. A biopsy was done on the 10th and sent to the CDC. See 2001 anthrax attacks.
* 3:45 p.m. EDT Ashcroft briefing: A complaint was filed against someone for lying to federal investigators. Yesterday DoJ served against airport security firm Argenbright Holdings, aka SecuraCorps, for security violations aross the country. They hired employees with criminal backgrounds, including burglary and theft, and lied about those backgrounds.
October 15 2001
* Another set of remains is found. They may be the first remains of a police officer to be recovered.
October 20 2001
The Concert for New York City, a benefit concert with proceeds going to the families of 9/11 victims, is held at Madison Square Garden, featuring performances by David Bowie, Bon Jovi, Destiny's Child, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, Elton John, Jay-Z, Adam Sandler, and others.
October 21, 2001
*, another 9/11 benefit concert, is held at
RFK Stadiumin Washington D.C., featuring performances by Michael Jackson, Aerosmith, Mariah Carey, James Brown, Al Green, Carole King, America, Huey Lewis, the Backstreet Boys, P!nk, 'N Sync, the Goo Goo Dolls, and others.
October 29, 2001
New York Yankeesface the Arizona Diamondbacksin game 3 of a drama filled 2001 World Series,with a special guest: President Bushthrowing the ceremonial first pitch.This was the first major sport to happen in New Yorksince September 11, 2001,although Ground Zerowas a few miles from Yankee Stadiummany New Yorkers and the United States look towards baseball to sooth the pain of 9/11.And thus,at the crack of the bat,a nation started to heal.
October 31 2001( Halloween)
* The Giuliani administration announces that the number of firefighters assigned (and allowed) to recover remains at the World Trade Center site would be reduced from 64 to 25.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Timeline beyond October following the September 11 attacks — 2001 = November Thursday, November 1, 2001 * Afternoon: Deputy Mayor Anthony P. Coles meets with the two firefighter union leaders, Fire Capt. Peter L. Gorman, president of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association and Kevin E. Gallagher, president … Wikipedia
Timeline for September following the September 11 attacks — All times, except where otherwise noted, in Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). This is four hours (instead of five) before UTC because of daylight saving time. September, 2001 Wednesday, September 12 *2:30 AM, CBS reports that a car packed with… … Wikipedia
Closings and cancellations following the September 11 attacks — Many closings and cancellations followed the September 11th attacks, including major landmarks, buildings, restrictions on access to Lower Manhattan, and postponement or cancellation of major sporting and other events. Landmarks were closed… … Wikipedia
Detentions following the September 11 attacks — Soon after the attacks of September 11, 2001, the United States Government began detaining people who fit the profile of the suspected hijackers: mostly male, Arabic or Muslim noncitizens. By late November 2001, more than 1,200 people had been… … Wikipedia
Outline of the September 11 attacks — The following outline is an overview of and topical guide to the September 11 attacks and their consequences: The September 11 attacks – series of four coordinated suicide attacks upon the United States in New York City and the Washington, D.C.,… … Wikipedia
Aftermath of the September 11 attacks — September 11, 2001 was the sole day that defined the first term of President George W. Bush and led to what he has called the Global War on Terrorism , or war against terrorism. The accuracy of describing it as a war and the political motivations … Wikipedia
Casualties of the September 11 attacks — The terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 by Al Qaeda resulted in 2,996 immediate (attack time) deaths, including the 19 hijackers and 2,977 victims. 372 foreign nationals (excluding the 19 perpetrators) perished in the attacks, representing … Wikipedia
Popular culture about the September 11 attacks — The September 11 attacks have been the subject of numerous films and other works of art and literature, including:FilmInitial reactionHollywood s first reaction to the September 11 attacks was to alter, delay or even cancel films that… … Wikipedia
Motives for the September 11 attacks — The 9/11 attacks have been described as a global symbolic event  The September 11th attacks were an organized terrorist act carried out by 19 hijackers, and organized by numerous members of al … Wikipedia
Responsibility for the September 11 attacks — Soon after the September 11 attacks, the Federal Bureau of Investigation was able to identify the 19 hijackers [cite press release |url=http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel01/092701hjpic.htm |title=The FBI releases 19 photographs of individuals… … Wikipedia