Ganiga is a subcaste of the
Vaishyacaste in the Indian caste systemin India.
From ancient time in
India, vegetable oils were obtained by crushing oilseeds in village , using an oil-press - or "ghana". A ganiga is a person who extracts oil using a "ghana".
Sanskritliterature of about 500 BC there is a specific reference to an oil-press, or Ghanis , although it was never described (by Monier-Williams, M. 1899. A Sanskrit-English dictionary, Delhi, India, Motilal Banarsidass. Reprinted 1963).
The Ganiga Caste today
Ganiga people in Andhra are different. They are called as Deva Gandla, Tilakeshwara Gandla, Gandla reddy, jothi gandla, Ganiga, Teli in Coastal Andhra. In North Andhra region such as Adilabad, Karim Nagar, Mehabob Nagar gandla are reddy gandla
Ganiga people mainly live in different parts of
Karnatakaand Andhra Pradesh. In South Karnataka Ganiga people mainly speak Tulu. Ganiga people are living the following districts of Karnataka, India - Bijapur, Bagalkot, Belgaum, Bangalore, Mangalore, Bhadravati, Chikamagalur, Kurboor, Chintamani, Gulbarga, Hassan, Haveri, KGF, Kolar, Mulbagal, Mandya, Mysore, Shimoga, Tumkur, Tiptur Udupi, Uttara Kannada.
Besides Karnataka, Ganiga community settled in some parts of
Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad and many other cities in India.
In overseas countries members of Ganiga Community have settled in the
USA, Canada, Japanand UAE.
A majority of Ganiga community continue to remain backward economically due to mechanisation of oil crushing which slowly took away their livelihood in the 1950s. Deprived of this age old profession continued for generations, Ganiga community found their way in business such as setting up of shops, hotels etc. Enterprising Ganiga entrepreneurs set up many
UdupiHotels in Bangaloreand other prominent cities in Karnataka. Others took up odd jobs to meet both the ends. Having been remained economically backward even after 60 years of independence due representations were made from time to time to the successive Governments.
Karnataka, Social Welfare Department, on 30th March 2002 issued Order No. SWD 225 BCA 2000 dated notifying Ganiga community as an Economically Backward Class under Category - II (A) Sl. No. 78. Castes listed under this category are (a) Ganiga, (b) Teli.
MaharashtraGaniga community has been granted OBC (Other Backward Caste) Certification by the Govt. of Maharashtra in 2005.
Ganiga Samaj, Mumbai-India
In Mumbai Ganiga Samaj was formed in 1996 to bring together Ganiga community living in and around Mumbai under the leadership of N.S. Balimane (Founder President). The Ganiga Samaj Mumbai has completed 10 years in September 2006. Office Bearers of Ganiga Samaj Mumbai:
Past Office Bearers - Ganiga Samaj
*N.S. Balimane - President
*Krishna Ganiga - President
*Shankar H. - SecretaryCurrent Office Bearers
*Jagannath Ganiga - President
*K. Ramachandra - Vice President
*B. Vasudeva Rao - Vice President & Secretary
*M. Bhaskar Ganiga - Vice President
*Vijayendra Ganiga - Vice President(HRD)
*Madhav Ganiga - Jt. Secretary
*Chandrashekhar Ganiga - TreasurerMembers, Managing Committee:
*Smt. Tara Bhatkal
*Anant N. Ganiga
*Sanjeev R. Ganiga
*Balakrishna Ganiga Tonse
*Tonse Harish Rao
*Chandrashekar R.Ganiga (Panvel)
*Narasimha Ganiga (Kalamboli)
*Gangadhar N. Ganiga
*Mohan N. Rao
Ganiga Samaja Mumbai34/668 Adarsh NagarPrahadeviWorliMumbai 400 030
omakshathriya Vaishnava Samaja, Bangalore-India
President: B.S. Manjunath
BangaloreGanigas are also known as 'Somakshatriyas' and are very actively performing tasks of developing the community, the 'Samparka' challenge cup has recently celebrateed the decennial celebrations and Prathiba Sambhrama is organised in November and December where the children from the Ganiga community of Udupidistrict and those who have settled in Bangaloreactively participated in the sports and cultural events.
*Leaders in Community Development Initiatives at Bangalore:.
* Mr.N Ravindra Pan Merchant City Market Bangalore
*Vyasa Rao (Kamat Group of Hotels)
*B.A. Narasimha Moorthy (Abhinaya Group of Hotels)
*Shankar N. Rao (President: Shree Venugopalakrishna Co-op. Credit Society)
*Neelavar Sanjeev Rao (Hotel Hallimane)
*Janardhana Rao (SeaRock Hotel)
*U. Sundar Rao*
*Janardhana Rao (Roti Ghar)
*G. Ananda Rao
*T.K. Ramakrishna (Retired)
Ganiga Associations at other locations in Karnataka, India
South KanaraDistrict ( Udupi) Somakshathriya Samaj, Moodukeri, BarkurPresident: K. Gopal Kula Devaru Shri Venugopalakrishnaswamy Temple Moodukeri Barkur - Krishna janmashtami-Mosaru Kudike, Deepotsava - Karthika bahula Ashtami, Akshaya Thadige-Brahma kalasha Vardhanthyotsava every year being celebrated. All are cordially invited.
HassanGaniga Sangha - President: H.L.RangaShetty. Owner of SreeGopalKrishna Oil Mill, President of ShivaJyothi(Ganiga) Kalyana Mantapa, AdLee-maney, Hassan
*Somakshathriya Ganiga Samaj,
Kundapur- President: Ramesh Ganiga Kollur
*Shimoga District Ganiga Sangha,
Shimoga- President: H. Subbiah
Bhadravati- President: U. Govind
* Dr. T.A. Prasanna ,Phd.Economics, Prof. Kuvempu University, Shimoga-Bhadravati.India
*Gopalakrishna Yuvaka Sangha Bhadravati (Youth Wing)
*Somakshathriya Yuvaka Sangha,(Youth Wing) Gangoli (
*Utttara Kannada District Ganiga Seva Sangha, Sirsi - President: S.P. Shetty (Previously headed by Mr. Madhav Narayan Shetty, Honnavar for more than a decade).
*karnataka ganigara sangha bangalorekolar,tumkur,chittur(Ap)president:Amarnath
*sln students union bangalore
*D B Kalashetty, State Bank of Hyderabad, Secretary, SBH staff Association, Gulbarga
* C.P. Venkatesh Murthy, Chairman , Comsoft Technologies (India)., Software Training and Development Company.
* Venkatesh Murthy C.P , Secretary, Vishwa Jyothi Education Trust.
"=KALABURGI ZILLA GANIGA SAMAJ, GULBARGA="SRI.Apparao M Patil, HON'LE PRESIDENTSRI.Sursh Sajjan, PRESIDENTSRI.R B Malipatil, GENERAL SECRETARYSRI.D B Kalashetty, SECRETARYSRI.Siddaanna Sajjan, TREASURERSRI Shivayogeappakalashetty, ASST.TRESURER
=SRI MANGAL JYOTI SHARAN GANADA KANNAPPA USTAV SAMITI, GULBARGAPRESIDENT - Sri.Suresh SajjanVICE PRESIDENT - Rajeshekhar YankanchiSECRETARY - Sri.D B KalahettyASST.SECRETARY - Sri. Mallanna MangaTREASURER - Siddanna Sajjan
—= Well known Ganigas =
* Mr. Haradi Rama Ganiga
* Mr. Haradi Krishna Ganiga,
* Mr. Haradi Narayana Ganiga
* Mr. K.
Ananda Ganigafrom Udupiregion.
* Mr. Birthi Balakrishna
* Mr. Gopala Ganiga, Heranjal
* Mr. Vishwanatha Ganiga, Kodi-
* Mr. Sarva Ganiga, Haradi
Leading Maddale player Late Suragikatte Basava Ganiga.
* Mr. Thonse Harish Rao, General Manager, C E India Ltd Mumbai
Kallappa. M. KadimaniHorti (Tq-Indi Dist-Bijapur), Software Engineer, IBMIndia Pvt. Ltd.,
* Mr. Sateesh.M. Pasodi Shirashyad,Asst.Manager,SAP Labs,Bangalore.
Mr. Praveen Adavesh Ghaniger, Team Lead, ITC Infotech, Bangalore
* Mr. Bhimashankar.S. Teli, Ballolli, Oracle,Bangalore.
* Mr. Ashok Sajjan, Systems Analyst, Fidelity India Pvt. Ltd, Bangalore.
* Mr. Ambarisha.K.N, Software Engineer, NDR Co. Ltd, Osaka, Japan(
Sanjay D.Hortikar-belongs to Ganiger,
Prasad GandlaThogarcheedu, (Kurnool Dist-AP), Software Engineer, IBM, BangaloreIndia Pvt Ltd,
Jagadish BommaVempenta, (Kurnool Dist-AP), Software Consultant, Daimler AG, Stuttgart, Germany
R. Sathya Murthy, , Professor, Bangalore
Vamsikrishna MulaVempenta, (Kurnool Dist-AP), Aerospace Stress Engineer, AIRBUS, Bristol, UK.
* "'Mr. B.V. Murali,(Bagepalli Taluk,Karnataka) Sr.Graphic Designer, Genaral Motors,India,(GMTC-I)ITPLB,Bangalore.
* Mr. Sateesh.M. Pasodi Shirashyad, SAP Labs,Bangalore
* Mr. Sunil S.Teli, Software Engineer
Mr. Praveen Adavesh Ghaniger, ITC Infotech(native of AINAPUR)
Mr. Madhu Ghaniger, ITC Infotech(native of AINAPUR)
* Mr. Raghavendra Gangia , Solution Architect, HCL Technologies.
* Mr. Srikanth Srinivasulu Chetty , Technical Architect, KPIT Cummins Info Systems.
* Mr. Ananth Prasad Gangia , Consultant , Lehman Brothers, Tokyo
* Mr. Prakash Gangia , Consultant ,Symphony Services, Bangalore
* Mr. Raghavendra U Gangia , Software Engineer , Fidelity India Pvt Ltd, Bangalore
* Mr. Naveen Gangia , Software Engineer , Infosys, Bangalore
* "'Mr. Venkngouda. A.Patil.Software Engineer , Bluestar HP Ltd, Bangalore
Ravi C Hangargi, Senior Software Engineer , SRA India Pvt Ltd, Bangalore.
* "'Mr. Ravichandra.A.Patil Software Engineer , SASKEN Technologies, Bangalore
* "'Mr. Satish Yearva. Software Engineer , SASKEN Technologies, Bangalore
* "'Mr. Mohan Babu. Software Engineer , HUAWEI Technologies, Bangalore
* "'Mr. Raghavendra S Ganiger Software Engineer , AGILENT Technologies, Bangalore
* "'Mr. Nagavisweswar Byrepalli Senior Software Engineer , HA, Bangalore (Kuppam, Chittoor DT)
* Mr.Gurangouda patil Sr.Engineer,Emcon Technologies, bangalore.
* "'Mr. Gavishetty,Ex.Directoy-(Mines & Geology) Karnataka.Politicians:
* Mr.V.R. Sudarshan, a three-time MLC, belongs to an OBC (Ganiga). He is currently Chairman of the Legislative Council, Karnataka Govt, hailing from Vemgal, KOLAR Dist.
* "'Mr. N.S. Vishwanath, Karnataka State Government
* "'Mrs/Dr. B.V. Vasantha Lakshmi, Assistant Commissioner,Karnataka.
* "'Mrs. A. Rajamma,Assistant Commissioner, Karnataka.
* Mr. B.J. Puttaswamy who belongs to the Ganiga caste had been nominated to the Council in 1982 by the then Chief Minister, R.Gundu Rao. also Mr. B.J.Puttaswamy was MLA.
* Mr. Anjutagi"' belong to the predominant Ganiga community from Bijapur, District Karnataka. Mr. Anjutagi was defeated in the 1994 Assembly Election.
* Mr. P.C. Gaddigoudar, MP from Bagalkot(LS), Karnataka. also he was a former MLC and the chief of party's Bagalkot district unit. He belongs to Ganiga Caste.
* Mr. S.B. Nyamagouda, MLC, Karnataka. also he was a former MP & Central Minister and the chief of party's Bagalkot district unit. He belongs to Ganiga Caste.
* Mr. G.S. Nyamagouda, Well know person in jamkhandi taluk. He is Director of DCC Bank, Urban Bank Jamkhandi, Royal Residencial school. He belongs to Ganiga Caste.
* Mr. B.G. Patil Halasangi, MLC who belong to the Ganiga sub-sect of the Lingayats, 2003.
* Mr. Ganapa Ganiga, Contestant for Legislative Assembly of Karnataka from Baindur, Near Mangalore udupi, in June 1998, Bye-elections.
* Mr.Apparao.M.Patil (Atnoor), Youngest APMC CHAIRMAN in INDIA.Hails from gulbarga district's Atnoor village.He is one who organised GANIGA samaj in Gulbarga and north karnataka.
* "' Mr. Hanamanth kalashetty, R/o Kaulaga(k) Tq.Dist. Gulbarga,Social worker (emial Gangiahelpline_indiatimes.com)Bussiness:
* Mr. Venu Vaishya, Executive Vice President, Covansys Corporation, USA, IIT Kanpur Alumni
* Mr. Siva Sankar Prasad Thupalli, CEO , Jasmin infotech Pvt.Ltd , Chennai , India, IIT
* Mr. Raghavendra Ganiga, Co Founder, DataTraverse,Bangalore
* Mr T J A Ganiga Ex CMD Andra Bank.
* Mr K Jagannatha Ganiga Ex General Manager Syndicate Bank
* Mr Shekar Ganiga Kuthpady Asst General Manager Vijaya Bank Mumbai
* Mr Gopal Ganiga P, Senior Manager, UCO Bank, Regional Office Bangalore
* Mr Narasimha Moorthy T, Senior Manager (IT), Syndicate Bank Regional Office Udupi
* Mr K Gopalakrishna, Senior Manager (Credit), Vijaya Bank KG Road Bangalore
* Mr D B Kalashetty,Sate Bank of HYderabad,Gulbarga (Karnataka)
Power Sector - Ministry of Coal, Government of India
* Mr JN Prasanna Kumar Acting CMD and Director(Finance) Neyveli Lignite Corporation.
* Dr. J V Subbaraman , Ex Chief Geologist, BGML
OIL & GAS
* Mr Dinakara Laxmana Tonse, Territory Manager, Bharat petroleum Corporation Ltd, Manmad, Nasik Dist, Maharastra
* Mrs. Rama Mani Vaishya , Directress, Montessori School, Michigan, USA
* Dr. T.A. Prasanna , Prof. Kuvempu University, Shimoga-Bhadravati.India
Mr. Adavesh Sangappa Ghaniger, Chairman, Shanti Sagar VidyaPeeth English School, AINAPUR
Mr. Shivanand Adavesh Ghaniger, KARNATAKA Police Sub-Inspector(Civil),Native of AINAPUR
Mr. S S Samba, DSP,KARNATAKA
Mr. S S Masali, RT. DIG, KARNATAKA
* Dr. Gundmi Praveena Kumara MD General Medicine, Asst Prof. KMC MANIPAL
* Dr. Pradeep Ganiga,Asst. Prof, K V G Medical College, Sullia, Obstetrics & Gynaecology,
* Dr. Manohar Babu KV, MS ortho, MRCSEd Edinburg UK. E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Mohan Ganiga, Respiratory Technician, C/o. Kapadia F N. MD, FRCP Consultant Physician & Intensivist, Hinduja National Hospital, Mahim, Mumbai
* Dr Arun G Patil, MD General Physician Nizamabada(Andhrapradesh)
Dr. Mahantesh Adavesh Ghaniger, AINAPUR
* Mr. Birthi Radhakrishna, was the Registrar and chief protocol officer of Delhi High Court
* Mr. Pundalika Ganiga . recipient of National Teacher Award
"VAIKUNTA VAHANA" Free Hearse van donated by AIRODI JANARDHAN , Chairman of UD GROUPS OF HOTELS.
Clinical Researcher / Pharmacist:
* Mr. Sathya Prakash R J, Master of Pharmacy (Pharmacology). Rank holder in M.Pharm, Clinical Research Associate, ICON Clinical Research Limited, Bangalore
Hotel and Restaurant:
* Mr. R.Prabhakar Ganiga, is rightly called the Darshini Brahma. He started the concept of Darshini and made the cost of food affordable to the general public. He started with Upahara Darshini, later on Dosa camp, Pavithra, Rotigar, cool joint, nammoora hotel, Hallimane and the list keeps growing. Now he has formed an organisation for fighting against adulteration of food in hotels under the banner Hotel Grahakara Sangha
* Mr. B.S.Manjunath , is proprietor of "Hotel Vaibhav "
* Mr. B.A.Narasimhamurthy , is proprietor of "Abhinaya Group of Hotels"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mogaveera — Mogaveera(s) Indian Test Wicketkeeper batsman Budhi Sagar Kunderan Regions with significant populations … Wikipedia
Sapaliga — Community Sapaliga community (Also known as Sapalya). Sapaliga or Sapalya refers to the community traditionally employed in the temples of Tulu Nadu or the coastal Karnataka for conducting musical orchestrations for the ceremonies of the temples … Wikipedia
Kodava Takk — language name=Kodagu nativename= states=India region=Kodagu speakers=122,000 (1997) familycolor=Dravidian fam2=Southern fam3=Tamil Kannada fam4=Tamil Kodagu iso2= iso3=kfa|notice=IndicKodava Takk or Kodava takka , (Kannada script: ಕೊಡವ ತಕ್) is… … Wikipedia
Lingayatism — or Veerashaivism is a Hindu religious sect in India but a Dharma. The adherents of this faith are known as Lingayats or Veerashaivas . The term is derived from Lingavantha in Kannada. This became more prominent after a reform movement attributed… … Wikipedia
Kingdom of Mysore — Kingdom of Mysore/Princely State of Mysore Kingdom (Subordinate to Vijayanagara Empire until 1565). Princely state under the suzerainty of the British Crown after 1799 … Wikipedia
Yakshagana — (Kannada:ಯಕ್ಷಗಾನ, pronounced as yaksha gaana ) is a classical folk art form of the state of Karnataka in India mostly popular in the districts of Uttara Kannada, Shimoga, Udupi, Dakshina Kannada and Kasaragod district of Kerala.cite… … Wikipedia
Kempe Gowda I — Chieftain of Yalahanka Nadu (a principality under Vijayanagara Empire) Born Hiriya Kempe Gowda 1510 AD Died 1570 AD … Wikipedia
Jangam — is an order of wandering monks said to have been initiated by Mahadev in Kailas Parvat (modern day Himalayan range). As the faithful followers of life which is the dynamic element of nature, Jangam people claim not to be confined to static ideas … Wikipedia
Vaniya Chettiar — is a subcaste of chettiars prominently seen in the south Indian states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Andhra and Karnataka. Their major professions are Oil business and groceries.They are also known as Ganiga in Karnataka Gandla Telibecause of… … Wikipedia
Economy of the Kingdom of Mysore — The Kingdom of Mysore (Kannada ಮೈಸೂರು ಸಾಮ್ರಾಜ್ಯ ) (1399 1947 CE) was a kingdom of southern India founded in 1399 by Yaduraya in the region of the modern city of Mysore. The Wodeyar dynasty ruled the Southern Karnataka region until Indian… … Wikipedia