- Eight Mile Plains, Queensland
Infobox Australian Place | type = suburb
name = Eight Mile Plains
city = Brisbane
state = qld
lga = Brisbane City Council
postcode = 4113
pop = 11,153 (2001 census) [ [http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/eight_mile_plains/reiq/ Brisbane Suburb: Eight Mile Plains - REIQ Profile for Eight Mile Plains - ourbrisbane.com ] ]
area = 7.7
stategov = Stretton, Springwood, Mt Gravatt
fedgov = Bonner, Moreton
near-nw = Macgregor
near-n = Wishart
near-ne = Rochedale
near-w = Sunnybank
near-e = Rochedale South
near-sw = Sunnybank
near-s = Runcorn
near-se = Underwood
dist1 = 13
Eight Mile Plains is a southern suburb of
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is located some 13 kilometres from the Brisbane central business district.
It is accessible by the Pacific and Gateway Motorways and the South-East Busway. The Brisbane Technology Park is found in Eight Mile Plains and is the home to the Queensland Clunies Ross Centre for Science and Industry. The suburb has one primary school and no high schools.
Eight Mile Plains was one of Brisbane's southern suburbs first to be settled. [cite book |title=Stories of the Southside |last=Roberts |first=Beryl |authorlink= |coauthors= |year=1991 |publisher=Aussie Books |location=Archerfield, Queensland |isbn=094733601X |pages=14 ] Originally the suburb extended beyond the Brisbane City boundary along the Pacific Highway (
Logan Road) into the northern part of Albert Shire (Now Logan City). In the 1970s, this southern part of Eight Mile Plains, along with parts of Rochedale and Springwood became the new suburb of Underwood.
The name of the Aboriginal clan formerly occupying this area is uncertain. According to one source they are likely to have been the Chepara clan of Eight Mile Plains who spoke Turrbal.
The Yerongpan of
Oxley Creekwho are said to have claimed the area from Brisbane to Ipswich. Another source claims they were the Yagarabal, who ranged from Brisbane to the Logan Riverand west to Moggill Creek.
The Aborigines used a trail which later became Logan Road. This trail bisected many creeks including the Mimosa Creek and
Bulimba Creekwatercourse. [ [http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/eight_mile_plains/history/ Brisbane Suburb: Eight Mile Plains - History of Eight Mile Plains - ourbrisbane.com ] ]
Eight Mile Plains' only primary school, Warrigal Road State School, sits off Warrigal Road which is one of Eight Mile Plains' and Runcorn's main road. The term "Warrigal" actually means "Dingo" in the aboriginal language.
The name of Eight Mile Plains is linked to the early days of settlement. It refers to the area's topography as well as the distance (eight miles) by bush track to One Mile (1.6 km) Swamp (now Woolloongabba).
In 1861, over convert|7800|acre|km2|0 in the nearby Coopers Plains area had been proclaimed the Brisbane Agricultural Reserve. In 1864 this was extended by a further convert|5500|acre|km2|0 and the Eight Mile Plains Agricultural Reserve was formed. It comprised the current suburbs of Sunnybank, Sunnybank Hills, Runcorn, Kuraby, Eight Mile Plains and parts of Coopers Plains, Algester and Stretton.
Electricity was extended to the district in 1936 and in 1958 a new school was constructed to service the area. [ [http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/eight_mile_plains/history/ Brisbane Suburb: Eight Mile Plains - History of Eight Mile Plains - ourbrisbane.com ] ]
In 1857 Charles Baker bought land from a sheep herder named Wilson. Fox hunting developed on the Baker property and he also turned his hand to construction, building a hotel. In 1868 he became the postmaster at Eight Mile Plains. His services were called upon when the
Cobb and Co. services started a regular run through Eight Mile Plains to the Logan and Nerang Riversettlements.
Brigadier Sam Langford owned a large parcel of land which was known as the 'wire paddock'. In 1932 it was the first farm to be fenced in this way. He later divided his property into 60 and 80 acre lots and sold them. The sites became housing estates. [ [http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/eight_mile_plains/history/ Brisbane Suburb: Eight Mile Plains - History of Eight Mile Plains - ourbrisbane.com ] ]
Hughesville is the heritage listed residence located on the corner of Logan and Padstow Road. The timber single-storied home was erected in 1892-93 by Richard Hughes (a local horse dealer)and reputedly given to his son, Richard, as a wedding gift when he married Elizabeth Magee in 1891.Hughesville survives as illustration of a past way of life, and of a particular residential type - the quintessential Queensland house of the late colonial period. It is significant for its intactness, cohesive character, aesthetic appeal and landmark position. The house has a strong community association, being for many years a principal landmark along the old Pacific Highway to the Gold Coast, demarking the outskirts of Brisbane. [ [http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/heritage/index.cgi?place=600191&back=1 Hughesville - EPA/QPWS ] ]
The Brisbane Technology Park (BTP) is an initiative of the Queensland Government developed to provide a catalytic environment for established and emerging knowledge-intensive, technology-based companies. Opened in 1986 [ [http://www.brisbanetechnologypark.com.au/?pid=229 History ] ] , the park is located on a 33.5 hectare site that is only 12 minutes from the Brisbane CBD. [ [http://www.brisbanetechnologypark.com.au/?pid=143 Overview ] ]
The Queensland Clunies Ross Centre for Science and Industry opened at the Technology Park in 1997.
Dominant natural features of the area include Bulimba Creek, which sits in a hilly area near Eight Mile Plains. Before white settlement the area was home to a diverse range of plants and animals. There are also areas of remnant bushland in the suburb and a small number of market gardens.
* [http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/eight_mile_plains/home/ "Ourbrisbane" Eight Mile Plains Information]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.