Chakraborty (Bengali and Assamese চক্রবর্তী Chôkroborti) is a common surname of Bengali and Assamese Hindus in India and Bangladesh. People with the surname Chakraborty commonly belong to the Brahmin caste. It is spelled in various ways, including Chakraborti,Chakrabarti,Chakrabarty for East Indians and Chakravarty, Chakravarthy, Chakravarti, Chakravorti and Chakravorty for South Indians. It is an honorary title and many with it can be found to be not brahmins, although the name indicates the purest of Assamese and Bengali Brahmins. However, in Assam valley; people with this surname are always Brahmins (see, Assamese Brahmins). They always use their traditional family name (surname) for the rituals like weddings and Upanayan.
In the past some practicioners of Tantra meditation would seat in a symbol called Tantra Chakra to perform their practices. As they would sit in this symbol they were given the respectable title of Chakravarty.
It is also a surname for Tamil, Telugu and Kannada Sri Vaishnavas.
In all of India, it is a given name, but largely found in use in Assam, Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh regions.
It is almost a euphemistic term for a local landlord to be called the "king of kings" as it means.
Some notable personalities with this surname are:
- Dipesh Chakrabarty, Indian historian
- Saikat Chakraborty, Indian Engineer
- Visvanatha Chakravarti (1626–1708), Indian guru
- Tulsi Chakrabarti (1899–1961), Indian comic actor
- Thakur Anukulchandra (1888–1969), Indian guru
- Byomkes Chakrabarti (1923–1981), Indian linguist
- Panchanan Chakraborty (1900–1995), Indian revolutionary
- Nripen Chakraborty (1905–2004), Indian politician
- Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak (born 1942), Indian literary critic
- Ananda Mohan Chakrabarty (born 1938), Indian microbiologist, party to the U.S. Supreme Court case Diamond v. Chakrabarty
- Mithun Chakraborty (born 1950), Indian actor, director and businessman
- Ajoy Chakraborty (born 1953), Indian singer
- Sandip Chakrabarti (born 1958), Indian astrophysicist
- Sanket Chakraborty (born 1993), DJ also known as DJ Sanket (Kolkata)
- Reeta Chakrabarti (born 1964), British television journalist
- Shami Chakrabarti (born 1969), British barrister and civil liberties campaigner
- Samrat Chakrabarti (born 1975), British actor and musician
- Pritam Chakraborty, Indian composer
- Sabyasachi Chakraborty, Indian actor
- Suma Chakrabarti, British civil servant
- Trailokyanath Chakravarty (1889-1970), Indian revolutionary.
- Pramod Chakraborty, Hindi film director
- Rajorshi Chakraborti, Indian writer in English
- Dilip Chakraborty, Noted astrologer and paranormal researcher
- Bibhas Chakraborty, Theater personality
Some notable personalities with this given name are:
- Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari, Indian freedom fighter and politician
- ^ Prabhat Rainjan Sarkar, A Few Problems Solved, (Orient Press, 1988), Part 9.
This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article. This page or section lists people with the surname Chakraborty. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chakraborty — Chakrabarti (Bengalisch: চক্রবর্তী, Cakrabartī) ist ein Familienname bengalischer Hindus der Brahmanenkaste. In Lateinschrift finden sich auch die Schreibweisen Chakrabarty, Chakraborty, Chakraborti, Chakravarty, Chakravarthy, Chakravarthi,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mithun Chakraborty — Born Gauranga Chakraborty 16 June 1950 Kolkata, India Other names … Wikipedia
Mahaakshay Chakraborty — Chakraborty at the launch of Haunted 3D Born 30 July 1984 (1984 07 30) (age 27) Mumbai, India Nationality … Wikipedia
Tulsi Chakraborty — (Bengalisch: তুলসী চক্রবর্তী, Tulsī Cakrabartī; * 3. März 1899 im Dorf Goari, Bengalen; † 11. Dezember 1961 in Haora, Westbengalen) war ein indischer Schauspieler des bengalischen Films und Theaters. Er ist insbesondere durch seine Rollen als… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mithun Chakraborty — (eigentlich Gouranga Chakraborty; Bengalisch: মিঠুন চক্রবর্তী, Miṭhun Cakrabartī; * 16. Juni 1950 in Kalkutta, Westbengalen, Indien) ist ein indischer Filmschauspieler und Tänzer des Hindi Films. Er spielte in mehr als 250 Bollywood Filmen und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Subrata Chakraborty — Infobox Person name = Subrata Chakraborty caption = Subrata Chakraborty, circa 2008 birth place = Kolkata, West Bengal, India citizenship = American fields = Computer Science spouse = Krishna Chakraborty children = Ankita Chakraboty, Anushka… … Wikipedia
Mithun Chakraborty filmography — This is the complete filmography of Indian film actor Mithun Chakraborty. Contents 1 1970s 2 1980s 3 1990s 4 2000s 5 2010s … Wikipedia
Mimoh Chakraborty — Infobox actor name = Mimoh Chakraborty imagesize = birthname = Mahakshay Chakraborty birthdate = birth date and age|1984|7|30 birthplace = Mumbai, India othername = yearsactive = 2008 present spouse = partner = children = parents = Mithun… … Wikipedia
Sapan Chakraborty — also variously cited as Swapan Chakraborty, Sapan Chakravorty, Sapan Chakravarty ( bn. স্বপন চক্রবর্তী) or simply Sapan is a Bengali Indian music composer who composed music for Bollywood Hindi and Bengali films. He was also a music assistant of… … Wikipedia
Arjun Chakraborty — Infobox actor name = Arjun Chakraborty caption = birthdate = location = India spouse = Nilanjana Chakraborty occupation = Actor Director children = yearsactive = 1983 present filmfareawards = Arjun Chakraborty (Bengali:অর্জুন চক্রবর্তী) is an… … Wikipedia