- Military of Slovakia
Military of Slovakia
Armed Forces of Slovak Republic coat-of-arms
Manpower Military age 17 years of age Available for
1,413,079, age 15–49 Fit for
1,162,282, age 15–49 Reaching military
40,000 Active personnel 14,000 Expenditures Budget $1.35 billion (2009) Percent of GDP 1.5% (2009)
The Armed Forces of the Slovak Republic number 14,000 uniformed personnel. Slovakia joined NATO in March 2004. From 2006 the army transformed into a fully professional organization and compulsory military service was abolished.
Structure of the Armed Forces
- Ground Forces - are made up of two active mechanized infantry brigades.
- Air and Air defense Forces - comprising one wing of fighters, one wing of attack and utility helicopters, and one SAM brigade.
- Training and Support Forces - comprising NSE - National Support Element (Multifunctional Battalion, Transport Battalion, Repair Battalion), Garrison of capital city Bratislava, as well as Training Battalion, and various logistics and communication and information bases.
- Miscellaneous forces under the direct command of the General Staff - the 5th Special Forces Regiment
Slovakia's plan for defense reform is the Force 2015 Long-Term Plan, which strikes a balance between requirements and resources and which envisions a professionalized, combat-capable force of 22,000 uniformed personnel by 2009.
Small arms & hand weapons:
- ČZ vz. 82
- Vz. 58 rifle
- Sa vz. 58 standard service assault rifle
- Heckler & Koch G36 used by the 5th Special Forces Regiment
- Heckler & Koch HK416 used by the 5th Special Forces Regiment In 2009 Regiment has been rearmed and HK416 and HK417 are standard assault rifles of the regiment.
- Heckler & Koch HK417 used by the 5th Special Forces Regiment
- FN MINIMI Para machine gun used by the 5th Special Forces Regiment
- Škorpion vz. 61
- Heckler & Koch MP5 only used by the 5th Special Forces Regiment
- Heckler & Koch UMP used by the 5th Special Forces Regiment and Military Police
- Uk vz. 59 machine gun
- Dragunov sniper rifle (SVD)
- Grand Power K100
- Accuracy International Arctic Warfare 12.7 AW.50 MK2. sniper rifle
- AT-4 Spigot
- SA-16 Gimlet
- Carl Gustav used by special forces
- Main Battle Tanks
- Air-defence missiles:
- 9K35 Strela-10M (SA-13 GOPHER)
Note -- Some is in reserve but all listed equipment is operable until 2010 and beyond 
- Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29 Fulcrum - 21 (12 NATO upgraded)
- Aero L-39 Albatros - 13 (NATO upgraded)
- Antonov An-26 Curl - 2 (NATO upgraded)
- Let L-410 Turbolet - 7 (NATO upgraded)
- Mil Mi-24 Hind - 12
- Mil Mi-17 Hip-H - 12 (NATO upgraded)
- Mil Mi-2 Hoplite - 6 (for pilots training - currently in process of being replaced by Hughes 269)
Note -- All aircraft data is current as of 1/08
Note -- only 5 SAM brigades projected by 2015 Long Term Model
5th Special Forces Regiment
It is Slovakia's premier Counter-Terrorism and special operations unit. The unit is directly attached to the Armed Forces General Staff, but works for the Operational Reconnaissance Bureau.
Special Task Force of National Anti-Drug Department
The NADSTF duties include the following of organized crime groups, working in coverage, protecting important witnesses, preparing for actions sooner than the crimes are committed and arresting highly dangerous criminals. The NADSTF Operate under Ministry of interior of the Slovak Republic.
Slovakia has 198 military personnel deployed worldwide for United Nations-led peace support operations (PSOs). Slovakia committed to increase number of its troops in Afghanistan to around 500 men by the end of year 2010. Slovak troops are deployed in Southern Afghanistan. Slovakia has markedly increased its commitment to KFOR and SFOR in Bosnia in 2002. Soon Slovak troops will withdraw from the Kosovo because Slovak armed Forces set its priority to focus mainly on Afghanistan NATO led mission - only 20 men will stay for intelligence reasons in Kosovo. Since the independence of Slovakia in 1993, there have been 53 uniformed personnel deaths in the line of service to the United Nations (as of 2008).
- ^ Defence Expenditures of NATO Countries (1985-2009)
- ^ http://www.novinky.cz/zahranicni/evropa/239481-slovenska-armada-se-zbavi-tanku.html?ref=stalo-se (czech)
- ^ http://www.nato.int/docu/update/2004/03-march/e0329a.htm
- ^ http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/contributors/2009/dec09_1.pdf
- ^ http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2010&mm=01&dd=04&nav_id=64243
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) History Structure Members Militaries of the member states of the European Union Military of Europe Sovereign
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- San Marino
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
States with limited
- European Union
- Sovereign Military Order of Malta
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Slovakia — This article is about the European country. For other uses, see Slovakia (disambiguation). Slovak Republic Slovenská republika … Wikipedia
Military history of Slovakia — History of Slovakia This article is part of a series Roman era … Wikipedia
Military of the European Union — The coat of arms of the EU military staff Service branches EUMS … Wikipedia
Military of the Czech Republic — Armáda České republiky … Wikipedia
Military history of Canada during World War II — Military history of Canada This article is part of a series Conflicts … Wikipedia
Military history of South Africa during World War II — Military history of South Africa This article is part of a series Conflicts Khoikhoi Dutch Wars Anglo Dutch rivalry Xhosa Wars Zulu Ndwandwe civil war Battles between Voortrekkers and Zulus … Wikipedia
Slovakia–United States relations — Slovakia United States relations are bilateral relations between Slovakia and the United States. History The fall of the communist regime in Czechoslovakia in 1989 and the subsequent split of the two republics on January 1, 1993, allowed for… … Wikipedia
Military of Iceland — Service branches Icelandic Coast Guard Iceland Air Defence System Iceland Cris … Wikipedia
Military Intelligence Directorate (Israel) — Military Intelligence Directorate Directorate of Military Intelligence Hebrew: אגף המודיעין Common name Aman Agency overview Legal personality Governmental: Government agency … Wikipedia
Military Security Agency (Serbia) — Military Security Agency VBA/ВБА Vojnobezbednosna Agencija Војнобезбедносна агенција VBA emblem … Wikipedia