- Jon Culshaw
name = Jon Culshaw
imagesize = 300px
caption = Jon Culshaw (left) in "Dead Ringers"
birth_date = birth date and age|1968|6|2|df=yes
nationality = English
active = 1980s-present
genre = Impressions,
notable_work = "Dead Ringers" (2002-Present)
The Impressionable Jon Culshaw" (2004)
He is famous for his work on
BBC Radio 4and BBC2's "Dead Ringers" , ITV's " 2DTV" and his contributions to BBC Radio 1, particularly on " The Chris Moyles Show". He also appeared in ITV's "Heartbeat" on 26 November.
His radio career began in
hospital radioin Ormskirk. His first job was at Red Rose Radio (now Rock FM) in Prestonin 1987, where even then he used to occasionally read the weather in the voice of Frank Bruno. He did voice-over work then was catapulted to prominence with " Spitting Image", where he voiced around forty characters, including John Major, the then Prime Minister.
For around four years in the late 1980s, he was a DJ on the commercial radio station
Viking FM, [ [http://www.tellytunes.com/photocards_vikingfm.asp tellytunes : dj photocards : viking fm dj photographs ] ] based in Hull, and also had a breakfast show on Pennine Radio(now The Pulse of West Yorkshire) and Radio Wave in Blackpool. It was a receptionist at Viking FM who persuaded Culshaw he should go onstage with his impressions and make it his living. He later appeared on BBC Radio 2's " It's Been a Bad Week", appeared as a guest on the BBC2 "Star Trek Night" Quiz in August 1996, and was also a regular guest on the Chris Moyles afternoon show on BBC Radio 1in 2001-2, where he would phone up commercial organisations such as a Kwik-Fitgarage in the voice of Patrick Mooreor Obi-Wan Kenobi, politely requesting whether they could service his X-wingfighter, and how much time it would take.
The Radio 4 years
He rose to fame in 1998 by impersonating
William Haguewhile working for Capital Radio, and succeeding in contacting Number 10 Downing Street. He was put through to Tony Blair, and had a lengthy conversation with him.
Between 2001 and 2002 he had a programme on
ITVcalled "Alter Ego" where he interviewed male celebrities in their own style of speaking, a form of simultaneous translation. On ITV he also appeared on 2DTV, a cartoon version of what "Dead Ringers" would do when transposed to TV. Using the same production team, in early 2004, he had his own programme, " The Impressionable Jon Culshaw" which was commissioned for ITV1. His most famous cult impressions are ex-British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Obi-Wan Kenobi(in the Alec Guinnesspersona), Russell Crowe, President George W. Bush, Ozzy Osbourne, Dale Winton, Radio 4's very own Godfather, the newsreader Brian Perkins, Sir Patrick Moore and Tom Baker(who played the fourth incarnation of The Doctor in " Doctor Who").
He also appeared in the "Doctor Who" webcast "
Death Comes to Time" and audio drama " The Kingmaker". In the latter, he got to perform his Tom Baker impression, although his actual part was that of Earl Rivers.
In 2005, Culshaw was a celebrity contestant on "
Comic Relief does Fame Academy.
In January 2006, he began presenting the
BBCshow "Jon Culshaw's Commercial Breakdown" shown on Friday Nights. In 2006, he received an honorary fellowship from the University of Central Lancashirein Preston.
In August 2007, he appeared on a celebrity edition of "
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" with John Thomson.
In January 2008, he appeared on "", as part of a pub-quiz team, with
Chris Moyles. In May 2008 he appeared in the BBCdocumentary series " Comedy Map of Britain".
He is also voicing Piston Pete in the upcoming film
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/a/alterego_66600130.shtml Alter Ego.]
* [http://www.thestage.co.uk/features/feature.php/9953 Article in "The Stage"]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/deadringers/ BBC Dead Ringers.]
* [http://www.uclan.ac.uk/news/2006/webgradindex2006.htm Honorary fellowship]
* [http://www.tellytunes.com/photocards_vikingfm.asp Viking FM photo]
* [http://www.ourmedia.org/node/15094 Prank call.]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/clips/funny.shtml The Time Lord contacts terrestrial organisations by telephone.]
* [http://www.avrproductions.co.uk/videoslices/m3ufolder/jculshaw.m3u Voice over work.]
* [http://chris.polymathic.net/soundvault/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=743 Viking FM jingle]
* [http://ftp.bbc.co.uk/radio4/comedy/rams/jonculshaw.ram Talking about his work on "Dead Ringers".]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/sport/fishing/2006/07/12/culshaw.ram Interviewed on Radio Lancashire in July 2006]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/audio/culshaw.ram Helping out with Budget 2005 on Radio Five Live]
* [http://chrismoyles.co.uk/soundvault/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=963 "Would You" featuring celebrity vocals]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/realmedia/radio/jon_culshaw.ram Talking on Danny Baker's programme.]
* [http://digitaltoast.co.uk/mad/aud/dead_ringers/Dead%20Ringers%20-%20Brian%20Perkins.mp3 This is the Radio Four News with Brian Perkins.]
* [http://digitaltoast.co.uk/mad/aud/dead_ringers Are you sitting comfortably? It's time for Dead Ringers to begin.]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUmjvt1EMlI Receiving his honorary degree in Preston (YouTube)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Impressionable Jon Culshaw — infobox television show name = The Impressionable Jon Culshaw creator = David Albon and Jon Culshaw producer = Richard Hearsey format = Satire Sketch show runtime = 30 minutes starring = Jon Culshaw, Steve Nallon, Kevin Connelly and Tony Gubba… … Wikipedia
Jon Holmes — (born 24 April 1973) is a six time Sony Award winning British writer, comedian and broadcaster. Early Life Born in Stratford Upon Avon and grew up in Nuneaton in Warwickshire. Attended Canterbury Christ Church University, where he graduated with… … Wikipedia
Dead Ringers (comedy) — Dead Ringers Dead Ringers Title Card Genre Comedy Format Sketch show Created by … Wikipedia
Doctor Who spoofs — The long running science fiction television series Doctor Who has over the years been the subject of many comedy sketches and specially made comedy programmes, from Spike Milligan s Pakistani Dalek to the Comic Relief episode Doctor Who and the… … Wikipedia
Doctor Who — This article is about the television series. For other uses, see Doctor Who (disambiguation). Doctor Who Series 6 Doctor Who main title card Genre Science fiction … Wikipedia
Jack Harkness — ] Witnessing the murder of his colleague Owen, Jack shoots his killer in the forehead, killing him in an act of swift revenge.cite episode|title=Reset|series=Torchwood|credits=Russell T Davies, J.C. Wilsher, Ashley Way|network=BBC… … Wikipedia
Patrick Moore — Infobox Celebrity name = Patrick Moore image size = 200px captions = Sir Patrick Moore birth date = birth date and age|1923|03|04|df=Yes birth place = Pinner, Middlesex, England occupation = Writer, broadcaster and amateur astronomerSir Alfred… … Wikipedia
Tom Baker — Infobox actor name = Tom Baker caption = Tom Baker birthname = Thomas Stewart Baker birthdate = birth date and age|1934|01|20|df=y birthplace = Liverpool, England occupation = Actor yearsactive = 1968imdb|0048982] present spouse = Anna Wheatcroft … Wikipedia
The Chris Moyles Show — This article is about The Chris Moyles Show. For him as an individual, see Chris Moyles. The Chris Moyles Show Genre Comedy, talk Running time 210 minutes (6:30 10:00 am) … Wikipedia
The Kingmaker — Bigfinishbox title=The Kingmaker series= Doctor Who number=81 featuring=Fifth Doctor Peri Brown Erimem writer=Nev Fountain director=Gary Russell producer=Gary Russell Jason Haigh Ellery executive producer= production code=6QI set between= The… … Wikipedia