- St Winifred's School Choir
St Winifred's School Choir, from
St Winifred's Roman Catholic Primary Schoolin Stockport, United Kingdom, was a choirof children trained by choir mistress, Terri Foley, who released a songin 1980that became the British Christmas number one singleof that year. The song was entitled " There's No-one Quite Like Grandma", and it spent two weeks at number one, and eleven weeks in the UK singles chartin total. Lead vocal was provided by Dawn Ralph. The song was composed by award-winning record producer Gordon Lorenz. The choir were conducted by Miss Theresa Foley.
It was the
Music for Pleasurerecord label's only UK No 1 single.
Previously they had also been recorded as the
backing vocalists in another eventual number one song entitled "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" by Brian and Michael, which was penned about the paintings of L. S. Lowry.
One of the children,
Sally Lindsay, who appeared on televisionin the 1980 recording, has gone on to become a star in her own right [imdb|0962559|Sally Lindsay] . She is an actressand has appeared in the ITV soap opera, " Coronation Street".
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1980/music1.shtml "St Winifred's School Choir"] - Article by the
* [http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricss/st.html Lyrics of "There's No One Quite Like Grandma"]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1980/musicclip.shtml Short video clip of the song] (requires
* [http://gordonlorenz.com Composer Gordon Lorenz]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.