The "Rukunegara" or sometimes "Rukun Negara" (Malay for "National Principles") is the
Malaysian declaration of national philosophy instituted by royal proclamation on Merdeka Day, 1970, in reaction to a serious race riot known as the May 13 Incidentwhich occurred in 1969. The incident proved at that time that Malaysian racial balance and stability was fragile at best. Immediately thereafter, the Malaysian government sought ways to foster unity among Malaysians. One of the methods used to encourage unity is the "Rukunegara". The "Rukunegara" was inspired in part by the Indonesian "Pancasila", and like the "Pancasila", is based on five guiding principles.
The word "Rukunegara" can refer to the whole declaration, the words after the preamble (beginning "Maka kami...") or the five principles alone.
"BAHAWASANYA NEGARA KITA MALAYSIA mendukung cita-cita hendak :
* "mencapai perpaduan yang lebih erat di kalangan seluruh masyarakatnya ;
* "memelihara satu cara hidup demokratik ;
* "mencipta satu masyarakat adil di mana kemakmuran Negara akan dapat dinikmati bersama secara adil dan saksama ;
* "menjamin satu cara liberal terhadap tradisi-tradisi kebudayaannya yang kaya dan berbagai corak ; dan
* "membina satu masyarakat progresif yang akan menggunakan sains dan teknologi moden.
"MAKA KAMI, rakyat Malaysia, berikrar akan menumpukan seluruh tenaga dan usaha kami untuk mencapai cita-cita tersebut berdasarkan atas prinsip-prinsip yang berikut :
* "KEPERCAYAAN KEPADA TUHAN
* "KESETIAAN KEPADA RAJA DAN NEGARA
* "KELUHURAN PERLEMBAGAAN
* "KEDAULATAN UNDANG-UNDANG
* "KESOPANAN DAN KESUSILAAN"
WHEREAS OUR COUNTRY MALAYSIA nurtures the ambitions of:
* achieving a more perfect unity amongst the whole of her society;
* preserving a democratic way of life;
* creating a just society where the prosperity of the country can be enjoyed together in a fair and equitable manner;
* guaranteeing a liberal approach towards her rich and varied cultural traditions; and
* building a progressive society that will make use of science and modern technology.
NOW THEREFORE WE, the people of Malaysia, pledge to concentrate the whole of our energy and efforts to achieve these ambitions based on the following principles:
* BELIEF IN GOD
* LOYALTY TO KING AND COUNTRY
* THE SUPREMACY OF THE CONSTITUTION
* THE RULE OF LAW
* COURTESY AND MORALITY
Alternative English version
Our nation, Malaysia, being dedicated :
* to achieving a greater unity of all her peoples;
* to maintaining a democratic way of life;
* to creating a just society in which the wealth of the nation shall be equitably shared;
* to ensuring a liberal approach to her rich and diverse cultural traditions;
* to building a progressive society which shall be oriented to modern science and technology;
We, her peoples, pledge our united efforts to attain these ends guided by these principles:
* BELIEVE IN GOD
* LOYALTY TO KING AND COUNTRY
* UPHOLDING THE CONSTITUTION
* RULE OF LAW
* GOOD BEHAVIOUR AND MORALITY
It is a norm for primary and secondary public schools in Malaysia to recite the pledge weekly during a compulsory assembly. Pledge reading follows immediately after the singing of the Malaysian national anthem, "
Negaraku." Of some interest, the "Rukun Negara" could usually be found behind the cover of every exercise book that is typically used by primary and secondary Malaysian public school students. This is primarily a move recognised to have been formulated to emulate the similar tactic introduced by the Singapore government immediately after her departure from the Malaysian Federation in 1965.
December 8 2005, the Malaysian government has made reading of the pledge compulsory at official functions. The announcement was made a few months after the government made singing of the national anthem as compulsory at every official function. [http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=169573 (Bernama)]
Khoo Kay Kim
Malaysian New Economic Policy
* [http://pmr.penerangan.gov.my/lagupatriotik2002/mp3/rukunegara.mp3 Rukun Negara Campaign (MP3)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ketuanan Melayu — United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) Youth Chief Hishammuddin Hussein brandishing the kris (dagger), an action seen by some as a defense of ketuanan Melayu … Wikipedia
Merdeka Parade — The Hari Merdeka Parade (Independence Day Parade) is an annual parade held every August 31 in commemoration of Malaysia s independence. Since independence, the event has been usually held at Merdeka Square, Kuala Lumpur in commemoration of it… … Wikipedia
Politics of Malaysia — Malaysia This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Malaysia … Wikipedia
Malaysian ringgit — MYR redirects here. For other uses, see MYR (disambiguation). Malaysian ringgit Ringgit Malaysia (Malay) 马来西亚令吉 (Chinese) மலேசியா ரின்க்கிட் (Tamil) ريڠڬيت … Wikipedia
United Malays National Organisation — Infobox Political party name english = United Malays National Organisation name native = Pertubuhan Kebangsaan Melayu Bersatu leader = Abdullah Ahmad Badawi foundation = May 11, 1946 dissolution = headquarters = Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia newspaper … Wikipedia
May 13 Incident — The May 13 Incident is a term for the Sino Malay race riots in Kuala Lumpur (then part of the state of Selangor), Malaysia, which began on May 13, 1969. The riots led to a declaration a state of national emergency and suspension of Parliament by… … Wikipedia
Sekolah Alam Shah — Infobox School name = Sekolah Sultan Alam Shah native name = Sekolah Alam Shah (SAS) motto = Chita Usaha Jaya (Aspire, Strive and Succeed) medium of language = Malay, English established = February 7, 1963 city = state = Putrajaya country =… … Wikipedia
SMK Tinggi St David — Infobox School name = SMK St.David size = 100px motto = Truth and Honour phone = +606 2823619 fax = +606 2810416 established = 1912 type = SMK (National Secondary School) head = Mr Chay Yew Choon head email = email@example.com street = Jalan… … Wikipedia
Khoo Kay Kim — Tan Sri Dr Khoo Kay Kim (born March 28 1937) is a Malaysian historian and currently is a Professor Emeritus at University of Malaya s history department. He was born in Kampar, Perak, Malaysia.All of his university degrees B.A. 1959; M.A. 1967;… … Wikipedia
List of Malaysia-related topics — This is a list of topics related to Malaysia.Buildings and structures in Malaysia* Angkasapuri * Berjaya Times Square * Chin Swee Temple * Connaught Bridge Power Station * Kellie s Castle * Kelong * Kota Ngah Ibrahim * Malay houses * Malaysian… … Wikipedia