- Bina Swadaya
Bina Swadaya ("Yayasan Pengembangan Swadaya Masyarakat") is a large
Indonesian NGOfocused on development.
Bina Swadaya was founded by Ikatan Petani Pancasila (Pancasila Farmers Association) on May 24, 1967. It was initially named Yayasan Sosial Tani Membangun (Peasant Socio-economic Development Foundation). The establishment of Bina Swadaya was thereby related to the existence of Gerakan Sosial Pancasila (Pancasila Social Movement) comprising Laborers, Farmers, Fishermen, Paramedics and Entrepreneurs established since 1954. The goal of Pancasila Social Movement was to empower community in accordance with the ideal of independence of the Republic of Indonesia. As an independence and consistent community empowerment vehicle, Bina Swadaya present contextually. For its optimum performance and impact, the organization and approach of Bina Swadaya geared suitable in accordance to the social, economic and political condition.
Social Movement Era (1954 – 1973)Particularly during the period of Old Order Regime, Bina Swadaya appeared as a Mass Organization, characterized with activities mainstreaming the empowerment of the community in political decision.
Socio-Economic Development Institution Era (1974 – 1998)During the period of New Order Regime, Bina Swadaya particularly appeared as a Socio-Economic Development Institution. Bina Swadaya managed social laboratory and its leason learned being used to cooperate with Government as well as Non Governmental Organization for wider impact.
Social Entrepreneurship Era (1999 - now)Following the state reformation toward democratization and decentralization, Bina Swadaya transformed into a social entrepreneurship developing self-supporting community empowerment organization.
In performing the mission, Bina Swadaya has conducted many programs in cooperation with various stakeholders who care for the poor:
* Developing 650,00 community based groups for income generating activities (UPPKS) in collaboration with BKBN.
* Developing 120,00 Self-Help Groups (SHGs) in collaboration with National Development Planning Board (Bappenas) and the Ministry of Home Affairs, Republic of Indonesia.
* Developing 60,000 marginal fisherman groups in collaboration with Ministry of Agriculture.
* Developing Program for Linking Bank and Self-Help Group (PHBK) in collaboration with Bank Indonesia, BRI, and GTZ.
* Developing Program of Social Forestry in collaboration with Perum Perhutani and the Ford Foundation.
* Developing Integrated Irrigation Program in collaboration with Ministry of Public Works.
To reach its vision and to carry out its missions Bina Swadaya diverts its activities into seven categories as follows:
* Community Empowerment. In the form of regional development activities, Public Health, Sanitation, Environment, Farming, and Labor by way of: research, training, consultation, and facilitation. (Educational and Training Center, Center of Studies, Consultancy and Branch Office)
* Micro Finance Development. Micro Finance Services is carried out through Banking Financial Institution and Non-Banking institution; reaching the poor and the marginalized. (Bina Arta Swadaya, Rural Banks, Micro Finance Institution)
* Agribusiness Development. By way of product marketing activities and farm production facilities, developing farm shop toward franchise system (Trubus Mitra Swadaya).
* Development Communication. Supply information to different field of development area through publishing magazine, book, radio and TV program, VCD. (Trubus Swadaya, Penebar Swadaya, Puspa Swara, Trubus Media Swadaya and Niaga Swadaya).
* Alternative Tourism Development. Organize Tour Program orientated to education, environment, culture and development (Bina Swadaya Tours).
* Printing Service. Managing printing industry to support development communication activities and increase institutional income. (Penebar Swadaya Printing House)
* Wisma Hijau Training Centre. Provide facilities for meeting, training, workshop and seminar. (Wisma Hijau – Kampus Diklat Bina Swadaya)
* [http://www.binaswadaya.org Bina Swadaya Online]
* [http://www.gdrc.org/icm/bina-swadaya.html Information page on the Virtual Library on Microcredit and Microfinance]
* [http://www.indonesia-relief.org/mod.php?mod=bank&op=infobank&bankid=109 Information page on "Indonesia Relief"]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.