- Mexico (village), New York
Mexico, New York — Village — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State New York County Oswego Area - Total 2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2) - Land 2.1 sq mi (5.5 km2) - Water 0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2) Elevation 410 ft (125 m) Population (2000) - Total 1,572 - Density 735.1/sq mi (283.8/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) - Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 13114 Area code(s) 315 FIPS code 36-46811 GNIS feature ID 0957047
Mexico is called "Mother of Towns". Taking into consideration the territories of 1792 and 1796 towns were formed in six counties;
Onondaga County 19 towns Cortland County 15 towns Oneida County 7 towns Lewis County 11 towns Jefferson County 10 towns Oswego County 22 towns
Thus 84 daughters can claim Mexico as their mother.
Mexico, with all the surrounding towns, was originally created from Whitestown, Herkimer County, on April 10, 1792 by the State Land Commissioner. The original organization of Mexico was abandoned for a time. In December of 1794, George Frederick William Augustus Scriba purchsed and patented a large tract of land; subsequently becoming a second Mexico (hence the Village of Mexico, and the Town of Mexico. George Scriba also later opened roads traveling from what is now Mexico Point to present-day Constantia, as well as a highway to present-day Oswego.
Settlers grew quickly in both the Town and Village of Mexico. Thus, the presence of roads, log cabins, frame houses, and businesses. Mexico's early businesses included saw mills, oil-mills, gristmills, asheries, tanneries, blacksmiths, timsmiths, coopers, cheese plants, cloth-dressings, distilleries, shoe-shops, hotels, general merchandise, and jewelers. Lewis Miller invented the spring wagon and the high quality of these wagons made them famous all over the county. Lulu Brown began making pans of baked beans to sell in grocery stores in 1937. They sold so well that her husband Earl and her son Robert E. Brown decided to sell them in Oswego. The business grew and relocated to the second story of the building at the south east corner of South Jefferson and Main Streets. Earl Brown died in 1938 and shortly after Richard G. Whitney joined the firm, forming Brown-Whitney-Brown (BWB). The business has since evloved into the world-famous Grandma Brown's Baked Beans.
With growth disease was prevalent. Between 1812 and 1820 a cholera-like disease spread throughout the region, a fatal form of dysentery, as well as ague and bilious fevers. More than one-half of the settlers lost their lives to these scourges during the first 20 years of the settlement.
In 1813 a system of public schools was established with 14 districts. The number increased to 19 by 1895 as new settlements developed. In 1822 a two story brick school housing grades on the first floor and high school on the second. This was called "The Academy" and was admitted to the state system by the regents in 1833. Mexico was the first school of secondary education to be founded in what is now Oswego County. Mexico was the first school to centralize in Oswego county. This occurred in 1936 when 31 districts in the towns of Mexico, Palermo and New Haven closed to make Mexico Academy and Central School. An elementary school continued in New Haven and Palermo while the rest of the students were bussed to Mexico.
Mexico also played its part in the abolition of slavery. As early as 1835 citizens signed petitions which were sent to Washington requesting the abolishment of slavery. Asa Wing was a prominent speaker who traveled across the state urging voters to pressure their representatives to pass new laws prohibiting ownership of slaves. Starr Clark was leader in the Underground Railroad and was the station master of the area.
Mexico is located at .(43.464173, -76.234643)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.5 km²).None of the area is covered with water.
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13. http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreg/docs/All_Data.html.
- ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/gazetteer/gazette.html. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
Municipalities and communities of Oswego County, New York County seat: Oswego Cities Towns Villages CDPs Other
Albion Center | Bardeen Corners | Beecherville | Bernhards Bay | Boylston Center | Bundy Crossing | Butterfly Corners | Cains Corners | Carley Mills | Carterville | Catfish | Caughdenoy | Clifford | Cribbs Corners | Cummings Bridge | Demster | Demster Beach | Doris Park | Drakes Corner | Dugway | Dutcherville | East Amboy | East Boylston | East Palermo | Fairdale | Farley Corners | Fruit Valley | Furmiss | Gayville | Gilbert Mills | Graftons Square | Greenboro | Hannibal Center | Happy Valley | Hastings Center | Hinmansville | Howardville | Ingalls Crossing | Kasoag | Little France | Loomis Corner | Lycoming | Mallory | Mallory Station | Maple Hill | McMahon Corners | Morse | Mosher Corners | Mud Hill | Mungers Corners | New Scriba | Nicholsville | North Amboy | North Boylston | North Constantia | North Church Corner | North Hannibal | North Scriba | North Shores | North Volney | Oswego Beach | Oswego Center | Panther Lake | Peacock Corners | Peat Corners | Pennellville | Pineville | Plantz Corners | Pleasant Point Crossing | Prattham | Red Mill | Ricard | Roosevelt Corners | Russ Mills | Sala | Sandy Pond | Shephard Corners | Smartville | South Hannibal | South New Haven | South Scriba | Stewart Corners | Texas | The Elms | Toad Harbor | Upson Corner | Vermillion | Vorea | Vorhees Corners | West Amboy
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.