- Hemel Hempstead
infobox UK place
country = England
official_name= Hemel Hempstead
region= East of England
FireandRescue= Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service
constituency_westminster= Hemel Hempstead
post_town= HEMEL HEMPSTEAD
postcode_district = HP1, HP2, HP3
Hemel Hempstead is a
townin Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdomwith a populationof 81,143 at the United Kingdom Census 2001(but now estimated at around 89,000 by Hertfordshire County Council). Developed after World War IIas a new town, it has existed as a settlement since the 8th century. It is part of the district(and boroughsince 1984) of Dacorumand the Hemel Hempstead constituency.
On 11 December 2005 it was in the news for the Hertfordshire Oil Storage Terminal fire.
The main railway line between London Euston and the
Midlandspasses through Apsley and Hemel Hempstead railway stations a mile south of the town centre, as does the Grand Union Canal. These links, as well as the A41 trunk road, follow the course of the Bulbourne river valley. The New Town expansion took place up the valley sides and on to the plateau above the original Old Town. In the 1990s, a motorway-style bypass numbered A41 was built to the south and west of the town across the upland chalk plateau, which does not follow the lie of the land. Hemel Hempstead is also linked to the M1 motorwayto the east. The M25 is a few miles to the south. To the north and west lie mixed farm and woodlandwith scattered villages, part of the Chiltern Hills. To the south lies Watfordand the beginnings of the Greater London conurbation. To the east lies St Albans, a historic cathedraland market townand now like Hemel Hempstead, part of the London commuter belt.
Possibly the best view of Hemel Hempstead in its physical setting is from the top of Roughdown Common, a chalk hill to the south of the town, at oscoor|TL049055|TL 049 055.
Origin of the name
The settlement was called by the name Henamsted or Hean-Hempsted, i.e. High Hempstead, in
Anglo-Saxontimes and in William the Conqueror's time by the name of Hemel-Amstede. [ [http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/directories/directories-hemel-1797-des.htm] Origin of the name at hertfordshire genealogy Accessed June 2006] The name is referred to in the Domesday Bookas "Hamelamesede", but in later centuries it became Hamelhamsted.
Another opinion is that Hemel probably came from "Haemele" which was the name of the district in the 8th century and is most likely either the name of the land owner, or could mean "broken country". 
World War IIresidents affectionately knew it simply as "Hempstead". Present day residents say simply "Hemel" or "'Emol".
The modern Dutch place names of
Haamstedeand Heemstedeprobably have a similar root [ [http://www.newsday.com/community/guide/lihistory/ny-history-hs312a,0,5846972.story?coll=ny-lihistory-navigation] Newsdat - Town of Hempstead, New York and Haamstede, Schouwen, Netherlands Accessed June 2006 ] which means homestead.
The town may have given its name to the town of
Hempstead, New York.
Roman villafarming settlements have been found at Boxmoorand Gadebridge which span the entire period of Roman Britain.
The first recorded mention of the town is the grant of land at "Hamaele" by Offa, King of Essex, to the Saxon
Bishop of Londonin AD 705.
Hemel Hempstead on its present site is mentioned in the
Domesday Bookof 1086 as a " vill, Hamelhamstede", with about 100 inhabitants. The church of St Marywas built in 1140, one of the finest Norman parish churches in the county. The church features an unusual convert|200|ft|m tall spire, added in the 12th century, one of Europe's tallest.
Norman conquestthe land thereabouts was given to Robert, Count of Mortain, the elder half-brother of William the Conqueror, as part of the lands associated with Berkhamsted Castle. The estates passed through many hands over the next few centuries including Thomas à Becketin 1162. In 1290 King John of England's grandson, the Earl of Cornwall, gave the manorto the religious order of the Bonhommeswhen he endowed the monasteryat Ashridge. The town remained part of the monastery's estates until the Reformationand break-up of Ashridge in 1539.
In that same year the town was granted a
Royal charterby King Henry VIII to become a Bailiwickwith the right to hold a Thursday market and a fair on Corpus Christi Day. The first Bailiff of Hemel Hempstead was William Stephyns (29 December 1539). The King and Anne Boleynare reputed to have stayed in the town at this time.
medievalwall paintings from the period between 1470 and 1500 were discovered in some cottages in Piccotts End, very close to Hemel Hempstead in 1953. This same building had been converted into the first cottage hospitalproviding free medical services by Sir Astley Cooperin 1827. [Dacorum Heritage Trust [http://www.dacorumheritage.org.uk/piccottsend.htm] ]
Hemel's position on the shortest route between
Londonand the industrial Midlandsput it on the Sparrows Herne turnpike Toll roadin 1762, the Grand Junction Canalin 1795 and the London and Birmingham Railwayin 1837. [ [http://www.castlewharf.com/drifters/image_drift/Carp_canal_walk_leaflet.pdf The Chiltern Canal Corridor] Castle Wharf project Berkhampstead. Accessed April 2007] However it remained principally an agricultural market townthroughout the 19th century. In the last decades of that century development of houses and villas for London commuters began. The Midland railwaybuilt a branch line connecting to its mainline at Harpendenin 1877 (see The Nicky Line). Hemel steadily expanded, but only became a borough on 13 July 1898. During World War II, a stick of Luftwaffebombs demolished houses at Nash Mills. The nearby Dickinson factories were used to produce munitions and were the target.
World War II, in 1946, the government designated Hemel Hempstead as the site of one of its proposed New Towns designed to house the London Blitzdisplaced population of Londonwhere slums and bombsites were being cleared. On 4 February 1947 the Government purchased convert|5910|acre|km2 of land and began work on the "New Town". The first new residents moved in during April 1949 and the town continued its planned expansion through to the end of the 1980s. Hemel grew to its present population of 80,000, with new developments enveloping the original town on all sides. The original part of Hemel is still known as the "Old Town".
Its geographical position, between London and the Midlands, acted again in the 1960s when the
M1 motorwaywas routed just to the east of the town. This gave it a central position on the country's motorway network.
In the 1970s, the town decided to abolish its
mayorand set up in place a district council. The first chairman of that council was Chairman John Johnson (1913-1977). In the 1980s, the town then decided to revert back to its original state, with a mayor. The political atmosphere of the town has changed significantly. Once a Labour Party stronghold, the town has seen an increase in Conservative Party voting in recent years, and the current Member of Parliament, Mike Penning, is Conservative.
As of the 2001 census, Hemel Hempstead is the most populated urban area in
Hertfordshire, narrowly more populated than its traditionally "larger" rival, Watford.
There was a major explosion in the town at the
Hertfordshire Oil Storage Terminal, Buncefield at 6am on Sunday 11 December 2005. (See 2005 Hertfordshire Oil Storage Terminal fire). This was one of the largest explosions ever to occur in the UK, and the incident has been described as the biggest of its kind in peacetime Europe.cite news |publisher = BBC News |accessdate = 2007-06-05 |url = http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4752819.stm |title = Buncefield tank 'was overflowing' ] The Maylands Avenue industrial estate was severely damaged and much of it needed to be demolished. Nearby residential districts of Adeyfield, Woodhall Farmand Leverstock Greenwere also badly damaged and around 300 people made temporarily homeless. There were 41 people with minor injuries and two were seriously hurt. The only reason that no one was killed was because the explosion occurred before dawn on a Sunday.
Hemel Hempstead was announced as candidate No 3. for a New Town in July 1946, in accordance with the government's "policy for the decentralisation of persons and industry from London". Initially there was much resistance and hostility to the plan from locals, especially when it was revealed that any development would be carried out not by the local council but by a newly appointed government body, the Hemel Hempstead Development Corporation (later amalgamated with similar bodies to form the
Commission for New Towns). However, following a public inquiry the following year, the town got the go-ahead. Hemel officially became a New Town on 4 February 1947.
The initial plans for the New Town were drawn up by architect
G. A. Jellicoe. His view of Hemel Hempstead, he said, was “not a city in a garden, but a city in a park.” However the plans were not well-received by most locals. Revised, and less radical plans were drawn up, and the first developments proceeded despite local protests in July 1948. The first area to be developed was Adeyfield. At this time the plans for a double "magic" roundaboutat Moor End were first put forward, but in fact it was not until 1973 that the roundabout was opened as it was originally designed. The first houses erected as part of the New Town plan were in Longlands, Adeyfield, and went up in the spring of 1949. The first new residents moved in early 1950.
At this time, work started on building new factories and industrial areas, to avoid the town becoming a dormitory town. The first factory was erected in 1950 in Maylands Avenue. As building progressed with continuing local opposition, the town was becoming increasingly popular with those moving in from areas of north London. By the end of 1951, there was a waiting list of about 10,000 wishing to move to Hemel. The neighbourhoods of Bennett's End, Chaulden and Warner's End were started. The Queen paid a visit shortly after her accession in 1952, and laid a foundation stone for a new church in Adeyfield - one of her first public engagements as Queen. The shopping square she visited is named Queen's Square, and the nearby area has street names commemorating the recent conquest of Everest, such as Hilary and Tenzing Road.
The redevelopment of the town centre was started in 1952, with a new centre based on Marlowes south of the old town. This was alongside a green area called the Water Gardens, designed by Jellico, formed by ponding back the
River Gade. The old centre of the High Street was to remain largely undeveloped, though the market square closed and was replaced by a much larger one in the new centre. The former private estate of Gadebridge was opened up as a public park. New schools and roads were built to serve the expanding new neighbourhoods. New housing technology such as prefabrication started to be used from the mid-50s, and house building rates increased dramatically. Highfield was the next neighbourhood to be constructed. The M1 motorwayopened to the east in 1959, and a new road connecting it to the town was opened.
By 1962, the redevelopment of the new town as originally envisaged was largely complete, though further expansion plans were then put forward. The nearby
United States Air Forcebase of Bovingdon, which had served as the town's "de facto" airport, closed at this time, though private flying continued for a further seven years. Dacorum College, the library, new Police station and the Paviliion (theatre and music venue) were all built during the 1960s. The town seemed to attract its fair share of celebrity openings, with shops and businesses opened by Frankie Vaughan, Benny Hill, Terry-Thomas, and the new cinema was opened by Hollywoodstar Lauren Bacall. The last of the originally-planned neighbourhoods, Grovehill, began construction in 1967. However, further neighbourhoods of Woodhall Farm and Fields End were later built as part of the extended plans.
Like other first generation new towns, Hemel is divided into residential neighbourhoods, each with their own "village centre" with shops, pubs and services. Each neighbourhood is designed around a few major feeder roads with many smaller
cul-de-sacs and crescents, intended to minimise traffic and noise nuisance. In keeping with the optimism of the early postwar years, much of the town features modernist architecturewith many unusual and experimental designs for housing. Not all of these have stood the test of time.
Neighbourhoods in Hemel Hempstead
Adeyfield- Located on a hill to the east of the old town, this was the first of the New Town districts to be started. The first four families of Hemel Hempstead’s new town moved into their homes in Adeyfield on Wednesday, 8 February 1950.
Apsley- a nineteenth century mill town a mile south of old Hemel which grew up around the paper making industry. Now a suburbof Hemel with many warehouse outlets set in Retail parks and a large Sainsbury'sSupermarket.
Bennetts EndLocated on the rising ground to the south west and another original district of the new town. Construction began in 1951 and by autumn 1952 300 houses were occupied.
Boxmoor- A mostly Victorian eradeveloped district to the southwest which grew up because of its proximity to the London Midland and Scottish Railwaystation and trains to London.
* Chaulden - a 1960s estate south west of the town.
* Cornerhall - an estate adjacent to the plough roundabout frequently thought to be part of Apsley. Bounded by Lawn lane and St Albans Hill.
Cupid's Green- a sixties estate north east of the town on the site of the old fireworks factory.
Felden- Felden is a partly rural area south west of Hemel Hempstead that has many wealthy detached houses. It is home to the national headquarters of the Boys' Brigade.
Gadebridge- A later 1960s development located north west of the old town.
Grovehill- Grovehill is a small estate towards the northern edge of Hemel Hempstead. Within the estate there are such features as 'Henry Wells Square' containing local shops, off licences, a pub, a 12 table snookerclub. The estate also contains 'Grovehill Community Centre', the local 'Grovehill Playing Fields', home to many football (soccer)pitches, a baseball ground and changing facilities. Grovehill also incorporates various churches, a doctor's surgery and a dental surgeryas well as several schools including The Astley Cooper School.
Highfield- a district of the original new town located north of the old town.
Leverstock Green- A village 4km east of the old town which pre-existed the new town and which has now been subsumed into it, although retaining its original village centre. It was once a popular place for actors and artists to live.
Nash Millsa historic name for a district beside the River Gade downstream and southeast of the town which had water mills present since at least the in the 11th century. It is now a mix of industrial use and housing from the nineteenth century through to small modern developments.
Warner's Enda 1960s residential district on chalk upland to the west of Hemel Hempstead.
Woodhall Farm- A housing estate on the north eastern edge of town towards Redbourn. Woodhall Farm was built in the mid to late 1970s on the former Brock's Fireworks site with a mix of private and housing association stock. Built by Fairview Estates it has property ranging from four-bedroom detached houses down to one bedroom low-rise flats. The area has a shopping centre with a Sainsbury's, Newsagents, Takeawayand Off-licence. It also has two infant schools and middle schools and a doctors surgery serving the local area.
Developments since the new town
The Jarman Park Leisure centre was opened, containing eight film screens run by
Empire Cinemas(previously Odeon Cinemas), ten pin bowling(Hotshots), an ice rink(Silver Blades), a water park (Aqua Splash) and night clubs (Lava and Ignite). This development, and those of the adjacent McDonaldsrestaurant and Tescosuperstore, were built on land originally donated to the town for recreational purposes. Land has also been reserved for a hotel, but to date (October 2007) this remains derelict. Replacement openspace was created to the east of the town, near Leverstock Green, Longdean Park and Nash Mills.
The former Dickinsons factory site, straddling the canal at Apsley, has been redeveloped with housing, a mooring basin, and an hotel. An office block is planned. Some buildings have been retained for their historic interest and to provide a home for the projected Paper Museum.
An indoor shopping mall was developed adjacent to the south end of the Marlowes retail area, and in 2005 the Riverside development designed by Bernard Engle Architects was opened, effectively extending the main shopping precinct towards the Plough roundabout. The new centre includes several outlets for national retailers including
Debenhams, Starbucks, HMV, Waterstones, and more. These two developments have moved the "centre of gravity" of the retail centre away from the traditional market and the north end of Marlowes has become an area for secondary outlets.
Further extensive redevelopment of the northern end of Marlowes has recently (October 2007) been given the green light and is scheduled to be complete by 2013.
North West England based residential developer
Dandarais currently redeveloping the former Kodakheadquarters into a residential development to be known as "Image".
A wide range of sports and physical activities are catered for within the town and its immediate locality.
Several of the various codes of "football" are played. Hemel Hempstead Town football club dates back to 1885 and now play in the
Southern Football League Premier Division. Nicknamed "The Tudors", they play at Vauxhall Road in the Adeyfieldarea of the town. There are, of course, many amateur sides throughout the town.
Camelot Rugby Clubplays Rugby Unionand it is one of the oldest clubs in England, being founded in 1919. The club's home ground is in Chaulden. [ [http://www.camelotrugby.co.uk/about_presidents_message.shtml Camelot website] ] Hemel Stags, founded in 1981, are the only rugby leagueteam from the South of England to play in the Rugby League Conference National league.
Hemel Hempstead Town Cricket Club, founded in 1850, has a pitch and practice facilities at Heath Park, near the town centre. The
BoxmoorCricket Club, founded in 1857, have a ground nearby on Blackbirds Moor. At Leverstock Green, there is the eponymously named Leverstock Green Cricket Club.
The Hemel Ski Centre operates a large practice
dry ski slopeand training slopes near to Jarman's Park. One of the largest in the region, this facility is under redevelopment in 2008 and is being replaced by "The Snow Centre", a real snow indoor sports venue which is due to open in April 2009. [ [ [http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/news/Ski-centre-gets-goahead.1932797.jp Ski centre gets go-ahead] Hemel Hempstead Gazette, , 15 December 2006 ]
Dacorum Athletic Club is based at Jarmans Park. Hemel Hempstead Bowls Club has its greens at Gadebridge Park.
Leverstock Green Tennis Club provides courts and coaching for members and other courts are available in public parks. Private indoor facilities are available at Hemel Indoor Tennis Centre at
Abbots Hill School, Nash Mills.
The local authority (
Dacorum Borough Council) provides the infrastructure for several of the sports mentioned above. In addition, there is a sports centre at Boxmoor and shared public facilities at a number of secondary schools. These provide multi-purpose courts (badminton, basketball, etc), gymnasia and swimming pools. There are also private, member only gymnasia.
There are three 18-hole golf courses just outside the south western edge of the town. One is at Shendish Manor and the other two (Boxmoor and Little Hay) are off Box Lane, on
Box Moor Trustland.
In 2006, the local education authority has judged that there are too many
primary schoolplaces in the town and has published proposals to reduce them. [cite web
title = Hemel Hempstead Review of Primary School Places
publisher = Hertfordshire County Council
month = September | year = 2006
url = http://www.hertsdirect.org/infobase/docs/pdfstore/hemhemp06.pdf
accessdate = 2008-01-10 ] The options involved school amalgamations and closures. A list of schools taking children of primary age is at
Primary schools in Dacorum.
There are six state maintained
secondary schools in the town:
Adeyfield School- Business and Enterprise College
Astley Cooper School- A Specialist College for the Visual Arts.
*Cavendish School - A Specialist Sports College
The Hemel Hempstead School- A Specialist Performing Arts School
John F Kennedy Catholic School- A Specialist Technology and Modern Foreign Languages College (Roman Catholic)
Longdean School- A Maths and Computing College
There are also independent (fee-paying) schools in, or adjacent, to the town:
Lockers Park School, a day and boarding school for boys aged 7-13
Abbot's Hill School, a day and boarding school for girls
In addition there is a
West Herts CollegeCampus based in the town centre.
Hemel Hempstead returns its own MP at Westminster. At the May 2005 General election the seat changed from Labour to Conservative.
Mike Penning, (Conservative), was elected with a majority of 499, just over 1%. The previous MP was Tony McWalter, ( Labour Co-operative), first elected 1997.
Hemel Hempstead, as part of the Borough of Dacorum, is twinned with:
Commerce, industry and agriculture
Historically, the area was agricultural and was noted for its rich
cerealproduction. The agricultural journalist William Cobbettnoted of Hemel Hempstead in 1822 that "..the land along here is very fine: a red tenacious flinty loam upon a bed of chalk at a yard or two beneath, which, in my opinion, is the very best corn land that we have in England." " [http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/text/chap_page.jsp?t_id=Cobbett&c_id=8&p_id=573#pn_8] . By the 18th century the grain market in Hemel was one of the largest in the country. In 1797 there were 11 watermills working in the vicinity of the town. [http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/directories/directories-hemel-1797-des.htm] .
In the 19th century, Hemel was a noted
brickmaking, paper manufacturing and straw-plaiting centre.
In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Hemel was also a noted
watercressgrowing area, supplying 1/16th of the country's national demand - following development of the New Town, the watercress growing moved to nearby Berkhamstedand Tring. The cress beds were redeveloped as the modern-day Water Gardens.
Joseph Cranstone's engineering company was founded in 1798, and was responsible for much of the early street lighting in the town as well as it first
gasworks. It became the Hemel Hempstead Engineering Company and stayed in business until World War Two. In 1867 Cranstone's son built a steam powered coach which he drove to London, but which was destroyed in a crash on the return journey. A local Boxmoor pub commemorates the event.
In 1803 the first automatic
papermakingmachinery was developed in Hemel by the Fourdrinier brothers at Frogmore. Paper making expanded in the vicinity in the early nineteenth century and grew into the huge John Dickinson mills in the twentieth.
A traditional employer in the area was also Brock's, manufacturer of
fireworks. The factory was a significant employer since well before World War II, and remained in production until the mid-1970s. The present-day neighbourhood of Woodhall farm was subsequently built on the site.
Significant historic local firms:
Addressograph, address labels & labelling systems
Apple Computer's UK operations were originally based in Hemel, though they moved to much larger premises in Uxbridgeduring the late 1980s.
Brocks Fireworks, Firework manufacturer
Crosfield Electronics- digital imaging systems, now part of Fujifilm
* John Dickinson and Sons, paper manufacturing
* Lucas Aerospace - relocated (as TRW Aeronautical Systems) to
Hemel Hempstead has a mixture of heavy and light
engineeringcompanies and has attracted a significant number of information technologyand telecommunicationssector companies helped by its proximity to London and the UK motorway network. However, (and again in common with many new towns) it has a much narrower business base than established centres, particularly Watfordand St Albans.
Significant firms with a local presence include:
3Com, Telecommunications equipment
* ACT (formerly
Aquascutum, Clothing manufacturer
ASOS.com, UK's largest online fashion retailer
BSI Product Services
GistFood distribution for Marks & Spencer
* Glanville Consultants, Civil and Structural Engineering Consultants.
British Telecom, telecommunications
* BSI (British Standards Institution) materials testing
Steria(formerly [http://www.bull.com Bull] (formerly Honeywell)), computers
DSG International plc(formerly Dixons Group), electrical retailer (global headquarters)
Dixons, electrical retailer (national headquarters)
Epson, Consumer Electronics
* [http://www.friedheim.co.uk Friedheim International] , pre- and postpress printing & bookbinding equipment
* [http://www.filippoberio.com Filippo Berio UK Olive Oil] The subsidiary of the n.1 Italian Brand in Olive Oil
FujifilmUK HQ electronics and photography
Hewitt Associates, Human resources (personnel) out-sourcing organisation
HSBCBank, call centre
Kodak, photography - (In March 2005 Kodak announced that it would vacate its central headquarters tower block in Hemel, and will be located on 3Com Campus in Hemel)
* NEXT, clothing (distribution centre)
Northgate Information Solutions, specialist software for human resources
Sappigroup, paper, at Nash Mills. Has announced the mill will close in 2006
Waverly TBS, wine and spirits wholesale subsidiary of Scottish & Newcastle
* Xerox Office Supplies, Document supplies,
* Kent's Brushes - has manufactured high quality hair and paint brushes at Apsley since 1901.
Just east of the town is the
Hertfordshire Oil Storage Terminal(HOST), known locally as the Buncefield complex. This was a major hub on the UK oil pipeline network(UKOP) with pipelines to Humberside, Merseyside, and Heathrowand Gatwickairports radiating from here. This was destroyed by a huge explosion on 11 December 2005. "See 2005 Hertfordshire Oil Storage Terminal fire."
Hemel's notable features
Hemel is famous (or perhaps notorious) for its "Magic Roundabout" (officially called the Moor End roundabout, or "The Plough Roundabout" from a former adjacent public house), an interchange at the end of the new town (Moor End), where traffic from six routes meet. Traffic is able to circulate in both directions around what appears to be a main central
roundabout(and formerly was such), with the normal rules applying at each of the six mini-roundabouts encircling this central reservation. It is a misconception that the traffic flows the 'wrong' way around the inner roundabout; as it is not in fact a roundabout at all, and as such no roundabout rules apply to it. It was the first such circulation system in Britain.
Hemel claims to have the first purpose built
multi-storey car parkin Britain. Built in 1960 into the side of a hill in the Marlowes shopping district, it features a giant humorous mosaic map of the area by the artist Rowland Emett.
The new town centre is laid out alongside landscaped gardens and water features formed from the River Gade known as the Watergardens designed by
G.A. Jellicoe. The main shopping street, Marlowes, was pedestrianised in the early 1990s.
Hemel also was home of one of the first community based television stations
West Herts TVwhich later became Channel 10
For many years the lower end of Marlowes featured a distinctive office building built as a bridge-like structure straddling the main road. This building was erected on the site of an earlier
railway viaductcarrying the Hemel to Harpendenrailway, known as "The Nicky Line". When the new town was constructed, this part of the railway was no longer in use and the viaductdemolished. The office building, occupied by BP, was designed to create a similar skyline and effect as the viaduct. In the early 1980s it was discovered that the building was subsiding dangerously and it was subsequently vacated and demolished. Adjacent to BP buildings was a unique double-helix public car park. The lower end of Marlowes was redeveloped into the Riverside shopping complex, which opened on 27 October 2005. Retailers taking residence at the Riverside complex, include Debenhamsand HMV.
A few hundred metres away, overlooking the 'Magic Roundabout', is Hemel's tallest building; the 19-storey
Kodakbuilding. Built as the Kodak company's UK HQ the tower was vacated in 2005. It was then temporarily reoccupied in 2006 after the Buncefield explosion destroyed Kodaks other Hemel offices. It is now being converted into 434 apartment homes. [ [http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=841&articleid=2224432 Council go-ahead for former Kodak site after cut in number of homes] Hemel Hempstead Gazette, 4 April 2007 . Accessed August 2007]
Heathrow airportholding area known as the Bovingdon stacklies just west of the town. On a clear day at peak times the sky above can be seen to be filled with circling aircraft.
The national headquarters of the
Boys' Brigadeis located at Felden Lodge, near Hemel.
A series of 10m high blue steel arches called the "Phoenix Gateway" is being built near the roundabout closest to the Hemel Hempstead junction of the
M1 motorway. The aim is to regenerate the town after the Buncefield explosion with a striking piece of commercial art. It is Funded by the East of England Development Agency. [ [http://www.hemeltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=8929&articleid=2912925 Name for new Maylands sculpture] Hemel Hempstead Gazette, 30 may2007 . Accessed August 2007]
Notable people associated with the town in order of birth date:
* Sir Francis Bacon - (1561 - 1626) was
lord of the manorof Gorehamburywhich included Hemel Hempstead from 1601.
Nicholas Breakspear(c. 1100 - 1159), the only English Pope( Adrian IV1154-1159) was born in nearby Bedmond, a village between Hemel and Abbots Langley.
Robert Snooks(c. 1761-1802) Englands last highwaymanwas executed and buried here.
Astley Cooper(1768-1841) English surgeonand anatomist. Lived at Gadebridge House, the grounds of which are now a public park.
Joseph Cranstone, set up an engineering works in Hemel Hempstead in 1798. His son, also Joseph, built a steam coach in 1867 which he drove to London but which went disastrously out of control on Stanmore Hill on the return journey.
* John Dickinson 1782 - 1869, inventor and founder of the
paper mills at Apsley& Nash Millswhich evolved into John Dickenson plc, built and lived at Abbots Wood, Nash Mills.
Arthur Evans, , (1851 - 1941) archaeologist, was born at "The Red House", Nash Mills.
Lyn Harding(1867 - 1952) actor and film star lived at a house called Logandene in Tile Kiln Lane, Leverstock Green, Hemel Hempstead.
Charles Longman, heir to the publisher Longmansand partner to John Dickinson, bought the Shendish estate in 1853 and built an impressive manor housethere.
Roger Moore, actor, famous for his roles as The Saint and James Bond, lived in Tile Kiln Close, Leverstock Green, Hemel Hempstead in the 1960s.
Bill MorrisOJ (born 1938), former leader of the TGWU, lived in Hemel Hempstead and still lives within the Borough of Dacorum.
Salem Hanna Khamis(1919 – 2005) was a Palestinian economic statistician for the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization who helped formalise the Geary-Khamis method of computing purchasing power parity of currencies. In later life lived in Hemel Hempstead and died there.
Christopher Trace(1933 - 1992) first presenter of BBCTV's Blue Peterchildren's show lived for a time in Blacksmiths Row, Leverstock Green.
Michael Bradshaw(1933-2001) English/ Canadianactor grew up in Boxmoor from 1938 until the mid-50s
Paul Boateng, (born 1951) Britain's first black Cabinet minister and Ambassador to South Africa, attended Apsley Grammar School(now part of Longdean School).
Dave Vanian(born 1956)(real name David Letts), the lead singer of The Damned, was born and lived in Chaulden.
Ian Lygo, famous for his record-breaking 75 consecutive wins on UK Quiz show 100%, lives in Hemel Hempstead.
Vinnie Jones, (born 1965) footballer and actor, is a local resident.
Steven Wilson, (born 1967) multi-instrumental musician, singer, songwriter and producer was born here. His band Porcupine Treewas also formed in Hemel Hempstead around the year 1987. His home studio "No-Mans Land" is located here.
Claire Skinner(born 1965)the distinguished actress was born (1965) and raised in Hemel Hempstead.
Oliver Low(born 1970) in Hemel Hempstead a poet, software engineer, composer, games designer and author.
Colin Edwin(born 1970) Bass player with Porcupine Tree was educated and lives in Hemel Hempstead.
Luke Donald, (born 1977) was born in Hemel Hempstead. He is a golfer who plays mainly on the US based PGA Tour.
Marc Bircham, (born 1978) currently lives in Hemel Hempstead near the Shendish estate. He is a Canadian footballer who currently plays for Yeovil Town F.C.in Coca-Cola League 1. He has also figured in the Canada men's national soccer team.
Anthony Davidson, (born 1979) Formula 1driver was born here. Formula 1 drivers Christian Klienand Vitantonio Liuzzilive in Apsley.
Tommy W. Smith, (born 1980) was born in Hemel Hempstead. He is a footballer who currently plays for Watford FCin the Coca-Cola Championship.
Chris Eagles, (born 1985) footballer for Burnley in the Coca-Cola Championshipis from Hemel Hempstead.
Jordan Parkes,(born 1989), an English footballer, currently playing for Watford, is from Leverstock Green.
Theo Walcott, (born 1989),an English footballer, currently lives with his family in the Hemel Hempstead area.
Pie in the Sky" (a BBC police drama) was filmed here. The site for the restaurant is now a real restaurant with the same name.
To the north
To the south
To the east
To the west
* The nineteenth century mill town of
Apsleynow forms part of Hemel Hempstead.
Hemel Hempstead Gazette
Hemel Hospital Radio.
 Edwards, Dennis F.(1994) "Hemel Hempstead in old picture postcards" European Library, ISBN 90-288-5797-4
 Hemel Hempstead Directory of 1797 [http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/directories/directories-hemel-1797-des.htm] - Early description of the town.
 Description of Hemel Hempstead (1870-72), John Marius Wilson,
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. [http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/entry_page.jsp?text_id=767460&word=NULL]
 cite book | first=Susan | last=Yaxley | authorlink= | coauthors=and others | year=1973, reprinted 1981 | title=History of Hemel Hempstead | edition= | publisher= Hemel Hempstead Local History and Records Society| location= Amplion Press|id= ISBN 0-9502743-0-5
 cite book | first=Elizabeth| last=Buteux| year=2005| title=Hemel Hempstead - A History and Celebration | publisher= The Francis Frith Collection| location= Salisbury, Wiltshire|id= ISBN 1-84589-206-2
"How historic treasures have devalued a house", "Sunday Times", 12 November 2000 by Chris Partridge; p. 15
* [http://www.dacorum.gov.uk/dbcweb/Default.aspx?page=3225 Dacorum Borough Council] Local authority pages on Hemel Hempstead.
* [http://www.hemelweb.demon.co.uk/ Hemel Web] Community web page.
* [http://www.hemelonline.co.uk/ Hemel on-line] Hemel local newspaper 'The Gazette', includes extensive local history pages.
* [http://pa.photoshelter.com/gallery-show/G0000iaIA0fj4zaQ// Photo gallery showing redevelopment of Kodak building]
* [http://www.hemelhistory.bravehost.com/ Hemel Hempstead Local History & Museum Society]
* [http://www.old-maps.co.uk/oldmaps/index_external.jsp?easting=505552&northing=207500 Map of Hemel Hempstead in 1883] from old-maps.co.uk
* [http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=2751425 Photos of Hemel and surrounding area ] Indexed by OS grid square at www.geograph.co.uk
* [http://hemelhempstead.blogspot.com/ A Brief History of Hemel Hempstead] A Blog on Hemel Hempstead's local history.
* [http://www.berkohockeyclub.com/ Berkhamsted and Hemel Hempstead Hockey Club]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hemel Hempstead — aus der Luft. Koordinaten … Deutsch Wikipedia
Hemel Hempstead — Hemel Hempstead. Hemel Hempstead es una ciudad en Hertfordshire, Inglaterra, cuya población es de 81.143 habitantes de acuerdo al censo poblacional de 2001. Desarrollado después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial como una nueva ciudad, ha existido como … Wikipedia Español
Hemel Hempstead — [ heməl hempstɪd], Stadt in der County Hertfordshire, England, nordwestlich von London, 79 200 Einwohner; Industrieparks mit Elektro , Elektronik , Papierindustrie und Maschinenbau. Geschichte: Hemel Hempstead wurde 1947 zur New Town… … Universal-Lexikon
Hemel-Hempstead — (spr. hémmel hémpstedd), Stadt (municipal borough) in Hertfordshire (England), 8 km westlich von St. Albans, mit der alten Marienkirche (teilweise normannisch), der gotischen Paulskirche, Strohflechterei, Eisengießerei, Brauereien und (1901)… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Hemel-Hempstead — (spr. hemmĕl hemmstedd), Stadt in der engl. Grafsch. Hertford, (1901) 11.264 E … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Hemel Hempstead — es una ciudad en Hertfordshire, Inglaterra, cuya población es de 81.143 habitantes de acuerdo al censo poblacional de 2001. Desarrollado después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial como una nueva ciudad, ha existido como asentamiento desde el siglo VIII … Enciclopedia Universal
Hemel Hempstead — 51° 45′ 09″ N 0° 28′ 09″ W / 51.7526, 0.4692 … Wikipédia en Français
Hemel Hempstead — Original name in latin Hemel Hempstead Name in other language Hemel, Hemel Hempstead, Khemel Khempsted, hemeolhempeuseuteodeu, hml hmpstd, Хемел Хемпстед State code GB Continent/City Europe/London longitude 51.75369 latitude 0.47517 altitude 88… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Hemel Hempstead — /hem euhl/ a town in W Hertfordshire, in SE England. 69,371. * * * ▪ England, United Kingdom town, Dacorum district, administrative and historic county of Hertfordshire, England, northwest of London. The first charter was granted in 1539.… … Universalium
HEMEL HEMPSTEAD — (10), a busy market town in Herts, 23 m. NW. of London; noted for its straw plaiting, and has paper mills, foundries, &c … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia