- Chittoor district
Chittoor District pronunciation (help·info) (Telugu: చిత్తూరు జిల్లా, Urdu: چتور ضلع, Tamil: சித்தூர்), also known as Chittur, is a district of India's Andhra Pradesh state. The district headquarters is Chittoor City. The district has a population of 4,170,468 according to 2011 census of India. Chittoor district is famous for the Tirupati, Kanipakam and Sri Kalahasti temples. It lies in the Poini River valley of southernmost Andhra Pradesh, on the NH4 Bangalore-Chennai highway. It is a major market center for mangoes, grains, sugarcane, and peanuts. Major industries around the city are Amaron Batteries, nations leading automobile batteries, and Nutrine Confectionaries, a major chocolate/candies producer and this city is one of the major Granite, mango pulp producing centers of India.
The word Chittoor is combination of two Tamil words Chit+oor which means Small Town in Tamil language. In ancient days, Chittoor was part of Tamil country of Thondai Nadu.
Chittoor District was formed on 1 April 1911, taking CHITTOOR, PALAMANER, CHANDRAGIRI from North Arcot District and MADANAPALLI, VAYALPADU from Cuddapah and PUNGANUR,SRIKALAHASTI,OLD KARVETINAGARAM FROM ZAMINDARI Provinces to form united chittoor district, later in the late 1960s about 280 villages of chittoor district were added into the CHENGALPATTU AND TIRUVALLUR district of Tamil nadu.
Chittoor district occupies an area of 15,359 square kilometres (5,930 sq mi), comparatively equivalent to Svalbard's Nordaustlandet. The district is bounded by Anantapur District to the northwest, Cuddapah District to the north, Nellore District to the northeast, Krishnagiri District, Vellore District and Tiruvallur District of Tamil Nadu state to the south, and Kolar District of Karnataka state to the west. Chittoor district lies extreme south of the Andhra Pradesh state approximately between 12°37' - 14°8' north latitudes and 78°3' - 79°55' east longitudes.30% of the total land area is covered by forests in the district. Mango and tamarind groves surround the city of Chittoor, and cattle are raised in the district. The soils in the district constitute redloamy 57%, red sandy 34% and the remaining 9% is covered by black clay black loamy, black sandy and red clay
Chittoor is around 180KM from Bangalore, around 160KM from Chennai, and around 590KM from Hyderabad, state capital.
The important rivers in the district are Ponnai and Swarnamukhi rivers which originate in eastern ghats. Other rivers include Kusasthali, Beema, Bahuda, Pincha, Kalyani, Araniyar and Pedderu. None of the rivers are perennial. Rivers include:
The temperature in the western parts of the district like Madanapalle, Horsley Hills, Chembakur are relatively lower than the eastern parts of the Chittoor District. This is because of the higher altitude of the western parts compared to the eastern parts. The summer temperatures touches 46°C in the eastern parts where as in the western parts it ranges around 36º to 38°C. Similarly the winter temperatures of the western parts are relatively low ranging around 12°C to 14°C and in eastern parts it is 16°C to 18°C.
Chittoor District receives an annual rainfall of 918.1 mm. The South West Monsoon and North East Monsoon are the major sources of rainfall for the district. On average the district receives 438.0 mm of rainfall through the South West Monsoon (From June to September) and 396.0 mm from North East Monsoon (From October to December). The rainfall received by the district in the years 2002 and 2003 are 984.2 mm and 934 mm respectively.
In 2006 the Indian government named Chittoor one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the thirteen districts in Andhra Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
In 2007–2008 the International Institute for Population Sciences interviewed 1010 households in 38 villages across the district. They found that 92.7% had access to electricity, 99.6% had drinking water, 33.3% toilet facilities, and 53.8% lived in a pucca (permanent) home. 29.3% of girls wed before the legal age of 18 and 88.2% of interviewees carried a BPL card.
- G.D.Nellore (Gangadhara Nellore)
- Thamballapalle and
- Tirupati Urban
- Buchinaidu khandriga
- K V B Puram
- Tirupati Rural
- Gangadhara nellore
According to the 2011 census Chittoor district has a population of 4,170,468 , roughly equal to the nation of Lebanon or the US state of Kentucky. This gives it a ranking of 47th in India (out of a total of 640) and 6th in its state. The district has a population density of 275 inhabitants per square kilometre (710 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 11.33 %. Chittoor has a sex ratio of 1002 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 72.36 %.
The population of Chittoor District according to 1991 census was 32.5 lakhs with density of 214/km².
- Madabhushi Ananthasayanam Ayyangar, first Deputy Speaker and second Speaker of Lok Sabha
- Chittor V. Nagaiah, Renowned Film actor, Director.
- Sir C.R. Reddy, Educationalist, Founder & Vice-chancellor of Andhra University
- Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher.
- P. Chinnamma Reddy, was a prominent politician, known for building P.C.R. Junior College and Krishnavani Junior College and for establishing the Chittoor cooperative sugar factory
- Nara Chandrababu Naidu, Ex-Chief Minister of A.P.
- N.Kiran Kumar Reddy, Chief Minister of A.P.
- Dr.vempalli Gangadhar,s.v university scholar,popular writer.see www.vempalligangadhar.com
This educational society is formed in memory of renowned academician LateM. SITA RAM (Ex. Principal- FAC Govt Jr. College Palamaner) by his students, friends and family members in 2001. It was registered in 2007(Regd# 84/07).
Since its formation, the society has issued Certificates of Excellence for various students for their academic performance along with cash prizes at different schools and colleges across Chittoor district. Encouraging merit students and funding the poor (rural) students for their education, is the main objective of the organization.This organization is working for improving for rural education in the district.
The prime objective of this society is to encourage the students of Govt. schools and Junior colleges across the district. Dr.Padmabhushan K.Chiranjeevi, Great Actor, Tirupati MLA The great C.M.Kirin kumar reddy, belongs to hydrabad,not chittoor dist.cm only saing..
- ^ http://censusindia.gov.in/2011-prov-results/data_files/andhra_pradesh/DCOAP-PAPER-1-BROCHURE.pdf
- ^ Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Andhra Pradesh: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1111–1112. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- ^ "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 1998-02-18. http://islands.unep.ch/Tiarea.htm. Retrieved 2011-10-11. "Nordaustlandet 14,467"
- ^ a b National Informatics Center, Chittoor
- ^ Chittoor district
- ^ Irrigation
- ^ a b Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme". National Institute of Rural Development. http://www.nird.org.in/brgf/doc/brgf_BackgroundNote.pdf. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- ^ a b c "District Level Household and Facility Survey (DLHS-3), 2007-08: India. Andhra Prades" (PDF). International Institute for Population Sciences and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. 2010. http://www.rchiips.org/pdf/rch3/report/AP.pdf. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ "How Do I? : Obtain Marriage Certificate". National Portal Content Management Team, National Informatics Centre. 2005. http://india.gov.in/howdo/howdoi.php?service=3. Retrieved 2011-10-03. "To be eligible for marriage, the minimum age limit is 21 for males and 18 for females."
- ^ District-wise Assembly-Constituencies in Andhra Pradesh
- ^ APOnline.Chittoor factfile
- ^ a b c d e f "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. http://www.census2011.co.in/district.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- ^ US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html. Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Lebanon 4,143,101 July 2011 est."
- ^ "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/apportionment-pop-text.php. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Kentucky 4,339,367"
- ^ http://www.languageinindia.com/april2003/urduinap.html
Anantapur district YSR district Nellore district Chikkaballapura district, Karnataka
Kolar district, Karnataka
Chittoor district Krishnagiri district, Tamil Nadu Vellore district, Tamil Nadu Thiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu State of Andhra PradeshCapital: Hyderabad Topics Districts Major cities
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pakala (Chittoor district) — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction native name = Pakala type = town latd = 13.4667 | longd = 79.1167 state name = Andhra Pradesh district = Chittoor leader title = |Pearson Of Passionleader name = |DILLI BABU TEEGALA KING OF KOONAPALLI.altitude = 394… … Wikipedia
Rompicherla, Chittoor district — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction native name = Rompicherla district type = village locator position = latd = longd = population total = state name = Andhra Pradesh district = Chittoor taluk names = Rompicherla area telephone = 08584 postal code =… … Wikipedia
Gangavaram, Chittoor district — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction native name = Gangavaram type = village locator position = latd = longd = population total = state name = Andhra Pradesh district = Chittoor taluk names = Gangavaram area telephone = postal code = footnotes =… … Wikipedia
Ramachandrapuram, Chittoor district — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction native name = Ramachandrapuram type = village locator position = latd = longd = population total = state name = Andhra Pradesh district = Chittoor taluk names = Ramachandrapuram area telephone = postal code = footnotes … Wikipedia
Chittoor Subramaniam Pillai — Chittoor Subramanyam (చిత్తూర్ సుబ్రహ్మణ్యం) Born Chittoor Subramanyam 22 June 1898 India, Occupation musician, singer, lyricist Ch … Wikipedia
Chittoor (Lok Sabha constituency) — Chittoor Lok Sabha constituency (Telugu: చిత్తూరు లోక సభ నియోజకవర్గం) is one of the 42 Lok Sabha (Lower House of the Parliament) constituencies in Andhra Pradesh state in southern India. This constituency is presently reserved for the candidates… … Wikipedia
Chittoor — This article is about the municipality in India. For its namesake district, see Chittoor district. Not to be confused with Chittor or Chittur. చిత్తూరు Chittoor city … Wikipedia
Chittoor Sree Krishnaswamy Temple — Chittoor Sree Krishnaswamy Temple, located at South Chittoor in the city of Kochi, is a temple dedicated to Lord Krishna. It is a major temple under the Cochin Devaswom Board. For centuries the temple was closely associated with the Kartha family … Wikipedia
Chittoor (Distrikt) — Chittoor Bundesstaat: Andhra Pradesh Verwaltungssitz: Chittoor Fläche … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sri Amarajeevi Potti Sri Ramulu Nellore district — district Statue of Raja Gopala Krishna Yachendra Bahadur (1878 1916) in the town of Venkatagiri Statue of Raja Gopala Krishna Yachendra Bahadur (1878 1916) in the town of Venka … Wikipedia