- The Spinto Band
Infobox musical artist
Name = The Spinto Band
Img_capt = The Spinto Band performing in
Landscape = yes
Background = group_or_band
Origin = Wilmington,
Delaware, United States
Years_active = 1997–current
Current_members = Nick Krill
Past_members = Albert Birney
The Spinto Band is a rock band from
The Analog Chronicles" - 1998 (as Free Beer) - Spintonic
Digital Summer (New Wave Techno Pop)" - 1999 - Spintonic
*"Roosevelt" - 2000 - Spintonic
Mersey & Reno" - 2001 - Spintonic
Nice and Nicely Done" - 2005 - Bar/None, 2006 - Radiate
Moonwink" - 2008 - Park the Van
*"Sam Raimi" - 2000 -
*"Strauss" - 2000 - Spintonic
*"Straub" - 2000 - Spintonic
*"The Spinto Band" - 2003
Good Answer" - 2004 - Spintonic
*"Oh Mandy" (CD) - 2005 -
*"Mountains/Brown Boxes" (7") - 2005 - Radiate
*"Direct to Helmet" (CD, 7") - 2006 - Radiate
Did I Tell You" (CD, 7") - 2006 - Radiate - UK #55
*"Oh Mandy" (CD, 7") - 2006 - Radiate - UK #54
*Albert Birney (featured until "Nice and Nicely Done". Now plays in the
Airkick Pigeon Band)
* The band previously recorded under the name "Free Beer". The basement studio they made their early recordings in was called Jamonkey Studio.
* Their song "Direct to Helmet" was released as a single in the UK in March 2006 and was also featured on the Rough Trade shop's "Counter Culture 05" compilation album.
* The band went out on tour in 2006 with the
Arctic Monkeysand The Kooks.
* Member Thomas Hughes co-wrote, -produced, and -directed "" in 2005.
* Often when performing live, the band covers Tommy James and the Shondells'
I Think We're Alone Now
* The band toured with Art Brut and
We Are Scientistsfrom September 2006 throughout the middle of October.
* The single "Direct To Helmet" was featured in the credits of the 2007
Forum Snowboardingvideo "That".
* The band appeared on the
5 Mayedition of " Later with Jools Holland".
* The band's song "Oh Mandy" has appeared in indie film "
Four Eyed Monsters" (directed by Susan Buiceand Arin Crumley), a Sears TV commercial, 2006 BMX film Cuttin it Deep, skateboard movie Get Tricks Or Die Tryinby Digital, and most recently Channel 4's 2007 advertising campaign concerning it's +1service. It was also included in "The Sunday Times"'s list of Songs of the Year for 2006. [ [http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article1088759.ece Songs of the year - Times Online ] ]
* Band member Nick Krill attended
American Universityin Washington, DC. Krill started the band when he found Cracker Jackboxes in his attic, with lyrics written by his relative, Roy Spinto, thus the name The Spinto Band. Most of the other members went to college on the East Coast, some of them attending Syracuse University, and some of them at Bennington College. During his sophomore year at American University, Krill turned his bed into a mini-recording studio, and slept under the frame so it could hold all of his equipment.
* A 7" of the song "Oh Mandy" was set to be released by Baltimore avant/noise rock label hit-dat records in 2004. Due to budget issues and the release of Double Dagger's first LP, the 7" never came out.
* The songs "Direct to Helmet", "Brown Boxes" and "So Kind, Stacey" were first released on "
Song Fight!", as tracks by Carol Cleveland Sings (CCS), a side project headed by Thomas Hughes. Although numerous CCS songs have been re-recorded by Hughes and bandmates and released as The Spinto Band tracks, CCS and The Spinto Band are two separate entities.
Notes and References
* [http://www.spintoband.com The band's official website]
* [http://spintobandfans.livejournal.com The largest fan community on the web]
* [http://www.spintonic.net A creative website driven by the Spinto Band and their friends]
* [http://lieutenantcrab.googlepages.com/spintoband Article on The Spinto Band]
* [http://www.whymepodcast.org/2005/10/whyme_034.html WHYME Podcast #34: Interview with Jon and Nick of the Spinto Band]
* [http://www.crackerbox.net/audio/carolcleveland Carol Cleveland Sings]
* [http://songfight.org/artistpage.php?key=carol_cleveland_sings Carol Cleveland Sings on Songfight!]
* [http://www.musicforlisteners.com/stream2005.htm#spinto1 Music For Listeners and The Spinto Band First Interview and Soda/Tea/Root Beer Taste Test]
* [http://soundcrank.com/Interview.aspx?interviewid=1045 Soundcrank Podcast Hosted by The Spinto Band]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The spinto band — The Spinto Band en concert à Bristol en octobre 2006 Pays d’origine Wilmington … Wikipédia en Français
The Spinto Band — en concert à Bristol en octobre 2006 Pays d’origine Wilmington … Wikipédia en Français
The Spinto Band — Este artículo o sección sobre música necesita ser wikificado con un formato acorde a las convenciones de estilo. Por favor, edítalo para que las cumpla. Mientras tanto, no elimines este aviso puesto el 3 de octubre de 2007. También puedes ayudar… … Wikipedia Español
The Panda Band — Infobox musical artist Name = The Panda Band Img capt = Background = group or band Origin = Perth, Western Australia, Australia Genre = Indie pop Years active = 2003 ndash;present Label = Bamboo/QStik Records/MGM Current members = Damian Crosbie… … Wikipedia
The View (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = The View Landscape = yes Img capt = The View onstage at the Glasgow SECC, November 17, 2006 Background = group or band Origin = Dundee, Scotland Genre = Indie rock Post punk Pop Years active = 2005 ndash; Present… … Wikipedia
Head of Femur (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = Head of Femur Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Chicago, Illinois, United States Genre = Indie rock Years active = 2001 present Label = Associated acts = Current members =… … Wikipedia
T in the Park — Location(s) Balado, Kinross shire, Scotland Years active 1994 present Date(s) Second weekend of July (3 days) … Wikipedia
Oppenheimer (band) — Oppenheimer Oppenheimer onstage in Madison, WI Background information Origin Belfast, Northern Ireland … Wikipedia
Park the Van — Infobox record label name = Park the Van Records image bg = parent = founded = 2004 founder = Christopher Watson defunct = distributor = genre = Indie rock country = United States location = Philadelphia, Pennsylvania url =… … Wikipedia
New York Noise — Genre Indie rock Music Television Format Music Video Series Created by Shirley Braha … Wikipedia