- Blue Flag beach
A Blue Flag beach is a maritime or freshwater
recreational beachthat has met stringent quality standards during the whole of the previous bathing season. Blue Flag status is also applied to marinas.
Blue Flag status is awarded to beaches in more than thirty countries in
Europe, South Africa, New Zealand, Canadaand the Caribbeanbased on standards and criteria owned and managed by an independent non-profit organisation, the Foundation for Environmental Education(FEE) Campaign.
Compliance with Blue Flag criteria requires adherence to water quality standards, safety, the provision of services and general
Europe, the water quality standards are enshrined in the EC Bathing Waters Directive.
The right to fly a Blue Flag at a beach or recreational water is a strong indication of high environmental standards and is a much sought after accolade by local authorities and providers of water-based recreational facilities.
2008, Spain has 455 Blue Flag beaches, Greece is second at 430, and Turkey is third at 258. Greece has the most flags in the Mediterraneansea.
* [http://www.blueflag.org/ Blue Flag Campaign]
* [http://www.blueflag.org/blueflag Blue Flags by Country]
* [http://www.eepf.gr/BlueFlags_02_2007.htm Blue Flag in Greece] (lists 4308 beaches)
* [http://www.abae.pt/bandeira/bandeira.galardoadas06.php Blue Flag in Portugal] (193 Beaches)
* [http://www.feeitalia.org/pages/flag2007.htm Blue Flag in Italy] (214 beaches)
* [http://www.blueflag.org/blueflag/2008/Spain Blue Flag in Spain] (447 Beaches)
* [http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Water/WaterQuality/News/MainBody,14412,en.htm Blue Flag in Ireland] (80 bathing arreas, 3 marinas - 2007)
* [http://www.seasideawards.org.uk/list.asp List of Blue Flag awards in England and Wales; Click "Blue Flag"]
* [http://www.keepscotlandbeautiful.org/index.asp?pg=5 List of Blue Flag beaches in Scotland]
* [http://www.blueflag.org/Criteria/Beaches Beach Criteria]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Blue flag — or Blue Flag may refer to:*Blue Flag beach, a beach or marina that meets certain quality standards *Larger Blue Flag or Iris versicolor , a type of Iris *Slender Blue Flag or Iris prismatica , a type of Iris *Blue flag, a particular racing flag… … Wikipedia
Flag of Mississippi — Use Civil and state flag Proportion … Wikipedia
Flag — A flag is a piece of cloth, often flown from a pole or mast, generally used symbolically for signaling or identification. The term flag is also used to refer to the graphic design employed by a flag, or to its depiction in another medium.The… … Wikipedia
Beach — A beach is a geological landform along the shoreline of a body of water. It usually consists of loose particles which are often composed of rock, such as sand, gravel, shingle, pebbles, or cobble. The particles of which the beach is composed can… … Wikipedia
Flag (disambiguation) — A flag is a colored cloth with a specified meaning.Flag may also refer to:In computers: * Flag (computing), a true/false, on/off or open/closed indicator (boolean variable) * FLAGS register (computing), a CPU register on x86 systems * Fiber Optic … Wikipedia
Flag of Delaware — Use Civil and state flag Proportion … Wikipedia
Flag of Maine — Use Civil and state flag Adopted … Wikipedia
Blue Hawaii — Blue Hawaii … Википедия
Blue Angels — For the 1960 television series, see The Blue Angels (TV series). Blue Angels United States Navy Flight Exhibition Team The Blue Angels F/A 18 Hornets fly in tight diamond formation maintaining 18 inch wing … Wikipedia
Beach soccer — sport imagesize=250px caption= union=FIFA nickname= Beach Football, Beach Footie, Beasal first= 1992 registered= clubs= contact=Contact team= 5 at a time mgender= category= Outdoor ball=Football olympic=Beach Football (Beasal) is a variant of the … Wikipedia