- Trade in services statistics
Trade in services statistics are economic
statisticswhich detail international trade in services. They received a great deal of focus at the advent of services negotiations which took place under the Uruguay Round, which became part of the General Agreement on Trade in Services, one of the four principal pillars of the WTOtrade treaty, also called the " WTOAgreement".
GATSFour Modes of Supply comprises:
* Mode 1 Cross border trade, which is defined as delivery of a service from the territory of one country into the territory of other country;
* Mode 2 Consumption abroad - this mode covers supply of a service of one country to the service consumer of any other country;
* Mode 3 Commercial presence - which covers services provided by a service supplier of one country in the territory of any other country, i.e. foreign direct investment undertaken by a service provider;
* Mode 4 Presence of natural persons - which covers services provided by a service supplier of one country through the presence of natural persons in the territory another economy.
Statisticswhich correspondent to the GATS Four Modes of Supplycomprise quantitative data addressing:
Trade in services, which is defined as delivery of a service from the territory of one country into the territory of other country, specific disaggregation as per GATS Four Modes of Supplymay not apply, i.e. this depends on decisions taken by each country;
Foreign direct investment( FDI) Cross-border foreign investment as per IMFguidelines. "Roughly correspondent to Mode 3"
Foreign Affiliate Trade Statistics( FATS) Statistics, or corporate data detailing the operations of foreign direct investment-based enterprises, including sales, expenditures, profits, value-added, inter- and intra-firm trade, exports and imports; "Roughly correspondent to Mode 3" Statisticswhich detail commercial services trade taking place under the GATSare in a state of development in most countries. Most countries don't have information which details trade as per the GATS Four Modes of Supply, which makes trade negotiations in this realm difficult, especially for developing country WTOMembers. The United States Bureau of Economic analysis produces rich statistics in this area, but they do not address the GATS Four Modes of Supplydirectly, rather, they address only cross-border services, generally defined, and statistics related to foreign direct investment, or FDI. Foreign affiliate trade statistics, known as FATS, are collected by the United States BEA, and several other OECD countries.
UN Manual on Services Statistics
* [http://unstats.un.org/unsd/tradeserv/manual.htm UN Manual on Statistics of International Trade in Services (from
TATISTICAL DATABASES on Services Trade Statistics, FDI and FATS
* [http://puck.sourceoecd.org/vl=5025526/cl=43/nw=1/rpsv/cw/vhosts/oecdstats/16081277/v239n1/contp1-1.htm OECD statistics on trade in services database]
* [http://puck.sourceoecd.org/vl=5025526/cl=43/nw=1/rpsv/cw/vhosts/oecdstats/16081277/v237n1/contp1-1.htm OECD statistics on value added and employment]
* [http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page?_pageid=1996,45323734&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&screen=welcomeref&open=/industry&language=en&product=EU_MAIN_TREE&root=EU_MAIN_TREE&scrollto=0 Eurostat database: Industry, Trade and Services]
* [http://www.bea.gov/bea/di/home/trade.htm US BEA page on international economic accounts]
* [http://www.jetro.go.jp/en/stats/statistics/ JETRO database for FDI and trade in goods and services]
* [http://www.unctad.org/Templates/StartPage.asp?intItemID=2921&lang=1http://www.unctad.org UNCTAD FDI/TNC database]
* [http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Page.asp?intItemID=3198&lang=1 UNCTAD World Investment Directory online]
* [http://www.trademap.org/ ITC/UNCTAD/WTO Trade
* [http://www.investmentmap.org/invmap/index.aspx ITC/UNCTAD Investment
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.