Infobox Radio Station
airdate=August 19, 1965
CHQT is a
radio stationin Edmonton, Alberta, broadcasting its signal on 880 kHz AM with an ERP of 50,000 watts. It also broadcasts AM stereousing the C-QUAMsystem. The station currently operates an all-news radio format under the brand name iNews880, and is owned by Corus Entertainment.
CHQT can also be received on 93.5 MHz on
* The station started on August 19, 1965 on 1110 kHz, with 10,000 watts power.
* In 1979, CHQT started using 50,000 watts power
* In 1990, the station changed frequency to 880 kHz on the sale to Monarch Broadcasting, Ltd.
* In June 2001, CHQT is named COOL 880.
* In October 2003, it became '880 JOE AM' for a few months before it returned to 'COOL 880' on January 13, 2004. The reason for the change to Joe AM was to protect its sister station Power 92 (
CKNG-FM). The company was afraid that another broadcaster would scoop the name and or format on the FM band. It was a bad move as the station lost a considerable amount of its listeners. They have never returned to their historic rating before the change. Power 92 then became JOE FM and abandoned the top 40 format in favor of an 80's and 90's mix of music. Oddly enough, the change from Power 92 to Joe FM also resulted in a massive loss of listeners for the FM station.
* On May 20, 2008 at 6:30 AM, the COOL 880 oldies format switched to all news.
* Before the name change and being bought by Corus Entertainment, their news slogan was "This is Alberta's Major News station - AM 880 CHQT" - Currently all newscasts on Edmonton Corus radio stations are produced by 630 CHED.
* [http://www.inews880.com inews880]
* [http://www.broadcasting-history.ca/listings_and_histories/radio/histories.php?id=117&historyID=49 History of CHQT at Canadian Communications Foundation]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
CorusNouvelles — Corus Entertainment Logo de Corus Entertainment Création 1999 Fondateur(s) John M. Cassaday … Wikipédia en Français
Corus Entertainment — Logo de Corus Entertainment Création 1999 Fondateurs John M. Cassaday … Wikipédia en Français
CFNY-FM — City of license Brampton, Ontario Broadcast area Greater Toronto Area Branding 102.1 The Edge Slogan … Wikipedia
Nelvana — This article is about the entertainment company. For the female superhero, see Nelvana of the Northern Lights. Nelvana Limited Type Subsidiary of Corus Entertainment Industry … Wikipedia
Corus Entertainment — Inc. Type Public (TSX: CJR.B) Industry Media Con … Wikipedia
CFMJ — City of license Richmond Hill, Ontario Broadcast area Greater Toronto Area Branding Talk Radio AM640 … Wikipedia
CMT (Canada) — Country Music Television (CMT) CMT logo Launched January 1, 1995 Owned by Corus Entertainment (90% managing partner) Viacom (10%) Picture format … Wikipedia
Movie Central — logo Launched February 1, 1983 Owned by Corus Entertainment Country Canada Broadcast area … Wikipedia
CFMI-FM — City of license New Westminster, British Columbia Broadcast area Metro Vancouver Branding Classic Rock 101 Slogan … Wikipedia
All-news radio — For the television series NewsRadio, see NewsRadio. All news radio is a radio format devoted entirely to discussion and broadcast of news. All news radio is available in both local and syndicated forms, and is carried in some form on both major… … Wikipedia