- Stadio Artemio Franchi (Florence)
stadium_name = Stadio Artemio Franchi
nickname = Stadio Comunale
Florence, Italy| opened = 1931
renovated = 1990
owner = Municipality of
surface = Grass
Pier Luigi Nervi
former_names = Stadio Comunale
Stadio Artemio Franchi is a football
stadiumin Florence, Italy. It is currently the home of ACF Fiorentina.
The stadium was built in 1931cite book | first=Guido | last=Zucconi | year=1995 | title=Florence: An Architectural Guide | edition=2001 Reprint | publisher=Arsenale Editrice | location=San Giovanni Lupatoto (Vr) | id=ISBN 88-7743-147-4 | pages=131] and holds 47,282. The architect is
Pier Luigi Nervi(known for the Nervi hall in the Vatican) and it is one of the most relevant examples of 20th century architecture in the city.
The stadium is built entirely of reinforced concrete with a 70 meter (230 ft) tower that bears the stadium's flagstaff. The tower is called the "Tower of Marathon". Around the base of the tower, spiral ramps lead from the ground floor to the upper edge of the grandstand.
The stadium was originally called the "Comunale" but was renamed after the former FIGC president,
Artemio Franchiin 1991.
The stadium itself underwent renovations for the
1990 FIFA World Cupwhich included removing the running track and increasing the seating capacity.
The official record attendance is 58,271 from 1984-11-25, at a
Serie Amatch between Fiorentina and Inter.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.