- Bisexual community
The concept of a bisexual community is complex and slightly controversial.
Bisexuals are in the peculiar situation of receiving hatred, distrust, or denial, called
biphobia, from elements of both the heterosexualand homosexualpopulations. There is of course some element of general anti- LGBTfeeling, but some people insist that bisexualpeople are unsure of their true feelings, that they are experimenting or going through a "phase," and that they eventually will or should "decide" or "discover" which (singular) gender they are sexually attracted to.
Defining the community
There are certainly
sexual minority cultureswhich are shared by a substantial fraction of the given minority population. But there are also people in the population who do not share in the culture.
The social networks of some bisexual people, sometimes called gay- or lesbian-identified bisexuals, are heavily concentrated inside the
LGBTcommunities. But others, sometimes called straight-identified bisexuals, may rarely participate in LGBTculture. And still others choose to maintain their primary social contacts mainly with other bisexual people.
But other people are entirely geographically or socially isolated from other bisexual people, or do not feel their social connections to their bisexual friends are different from those they have with their
Thus it is possible to conceive of a worldwide or a local bisexual culture or social network, but which does not necessarily include all bisexual people in the area. There is also a potential distinction to be made between one's social network and one's sexual network (or universe of possible sexual partners).
Some question the idea notion of sharing a "community" with people one has never actually met (whether in person or remotely). But other advocates insist that all bisexual people (and perhaps their allies) are part of a global community in one way or another.
This common culture generally celebrates
pride, diversity, individuality, and sexuality. Many participants find it a refreshing antidote to hatred, discrimination, biphobia, bisexual erasure, sex-negative attitudes and conformist pressures they sometimes encounter in the other societies in which bisexual people live and interact.
Political activism is also common, especially on
bisexual, LGBT, liberal, and libertarianissues (but there are, of course, bisexual people of every political stripe, including Log Cabin Republicans). Heterosexualand homosexualpeople can often be included in the bisexual community, and are typically termed as "bi-friendly" or "bi-inclusive" as they often support political rights and social dignity for bisexual people.
Bisexual pride flag
Celebrate Bisexuality Day
Klein Sexual Orientation Grid
The Bisexual Option
*Bi Any Other Name : Bisexual People Speak Out by
Loraine Hutchins, Editor & Lani Ka'ahumanu, Editor ISBN 1-55583-174-5
*Getting Bi : Voices of Bisexuals Around the World by
Robyn Ochs, Editor & Sarah Rowley, Editor ISBN 0-9653881-4-X
*The Bisexual Option by Fritz Klein, MD ISBN 1-56023-033-9
*Bi America : Myths, Truths, And Struggles Of An Invisible Community by
William E. BurlesonISBN-13: 978-1-56023-478-4
*Bisexuality in the United States : A Social Science Reader by
Paula C. Rodriguez Rust, Editor ISBN 0-231-10226-7
*Bisexuality : The Psychology and Politics of an Invisible Minority by
Beth A. Firestein, Editor ISBN 0-8039-7274-1
*Current Research on Bisexuality by
Ronald C. Fox PhD, Editor ISBN-13: 978-1-56023-288-5
* [http://bi.org/ bi.org Web Hub for all bisexual sites and resources]
* [http://www.bimagazine.org/home/index.html BiMagazine] (English Language)
* [http://www.bicommunitynews.co.uk Bi Community News] (UK)
* [http://community.livejournal.com/lnbi_berichten/ Bi-Nieuws Magazine] (Nederlanden)
* [http://www.bitribune.com/ Bisexual Tribune] (Midwest USA)
* [http://www.thefence.ca/ The Fence for/by bisexual women] (Canada)
* [http://www.binetcanada.ca/ BiNetCanada]
* [http://www.torontobinet.org/ Toronto Bisexual Network (TBN)] (Toronto)
* [http://www.opcionbi.com/ OpcionBi] (Mexico)
* [http://www.lnbi.nl/ LNBi] (Nederlanden)
* [http://www.binetusa.org BiNet USA] (American Civil Rights Organization)
* [http://bisexual.org American Institute of Bisexuality] (research foundation)
* [http://www.biresource.org Bisexual Resource Center (BRC)]
* [http://www.bialogue.org Bialogue = Bisexual + Dialogue] (political activist group)"Local groups in the US":* [http://www.babn.org/ Bay Area Bisexual Network (BABN)] (San Francisco area):* [http://www.ambilosangeles.com AMBI (A Meeting of Bi Individuals) LA] (Los Angeles):* [http://www.main.org/binetaustin/ BiNet Austin] (Austin):* [http://www.binethouston.info/ Bi Net Houston] (greater Houston):* [http://www.myspace.com/mshaaly MN Bisexual Gals Club] (Twin Cities Minneapolis/St.Paul):* [http://www.myspace.com/justcoffeesocialclub Just Coffee Social Club (Bi Women)] (Kansas City Missouri):* [http://www.nyabn.org/index.html New York Area Bisexual Network (NYABN)] (greater New York City area):* [http://www.biunity.org/ BiUnity] (Philadelphia area):* [http://www.conn-bi-nation.org/ Conn-Bi-Nation] (Connecticut)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bisexual chic — is a phrase sometimes used to describe the public acknowledgement of bisexuality among various segments of society. In some cases the phrase can be considered pejorative, when used to trivialize or dismiss genuine feelings of same sex attraction … Wikipedia
Bisexual Resource Center — (BRC) is a 501(c)(3) non profit educational organization that has served the bisexual community since 1985. Headquartered in Boston MA, the BRC provides education about bisexual and progressive issues, and support for bisexual people. The BRC… … Wikipedia
Bisexual pride flag — His aim was to increase the visibility of bisexuals, both among society as a whole and within the LGBT community. Design and colorsThe magenta (pink) stripe at the top of the flag represents sexual attraction to the same sex only (gay and… … Wikipedia
Bisexual erasure — Bisexuality topics sidebarBisexual erasure is the tendency to ignore, remove, falsify, or reexplain evidence of bisexuality in the historical record, academic materials, the news media, and other primary sources. When bisexual erasure is found in … Wikipedia
Community Action Against Homophobia — (CAAH) is a community activist organisation based in Sydney, Australia. Since its establishment in 1999, CAAH has aimed to eliminate homophobia and achieve full equality for queer people defined as lesbian, gay, bisexual, same sex attracted,… … Wikipedia
List of LGBT community centers — List of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Community Centers:Belgium* Hasselt, Belgium InderdaadCanadaOntario* Ottawa GLBTTQ Community Centre of Ottawa ( [http://glbttqottawacentre.org/en/home/index.html website] , currently under… … Wikipedia
New York Area Bisexual Network — NYABN members in parade New York Area Bisexual Network (NYABN) is a central communications network for bisexual bi friendly groups and resources in the five boroughs (Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island) of New York City and… … Wikipedia
List of gay, lesbian or bisexual people — A · Ba–Bh · Bi–Bz · C · D · E · F · G · H · I · J … Wikipedia
Bay Area Bisexual Network — (BABN) is social and networking group in the San Francisco Bay Area. It is the oldest and largest bisexual group in the San Francisco Bay Area. Since 1987 BABN has welcomed people who are just coming out or new to the area to have opportunities… … Wikipedia
Gay community — or LGBT community is a term used to describe the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender subculture. Within the LGBT community there are many identifiable sub communities the leather community, the Bear community, the chubby community, the… … Wikipedia