- J. L. Mackie
region = Western Philosophy
color = #B0C4DE
name = John Leslie Mackie
birth = 1917
death = 1981
Australian Realism| Moral Sceptism
influences = John Anderson
influenced = Colin MacLeod
Argument from queerness
John Leslie Mackie (1917–1981) was an
Australian philosopher, originally from Sydney. He is perhaps best known for his views on meta-ethics, especially his defence of moral skepticism. However, he has also made significant contributions to philosophy of religionand metaphysics.
* 1917 born
* 1938, graduates from the
University of Sydneyafter study under John Anderson
* 1938, Wentworth Travelling Fellowship to study Greats at
Oriel College, Oxford
* 1940, graduates with a first
World War IIarmy service
* 1946-54, Lectures at the University of Sydney in Moral and Political Philosophy
* 1955-59, Professor of Philosophy,
University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
* 1959-63, Professor of Philosophy, University of Sydney
* 1963-67, Professor of Philosophy,
University of York
* 1967, elected a fellow of
University College, Oxford
* 1974, elected a fellow of the
* 1981 died
Character and family
Mackie is said to have been capable of expressing total disagreement in such a genial way that the person being addressed might mistake the comment for a compliment. This personal style is exemplified by the following words from the preface to Mackie's "Ethics: Inventing Right and Wrong" (1977, p. 3):
One of Mackie's daughters,
Dr. Penelope Mackie, also became a philosopher. She was a lecturer in Philosophy at the University of Birminghamfrom 1994 to 2004, and is now at the University of Nottingham.
Mackie was most well known for his contributions to the fields of
meta-ethics, philosophy of religion, and metaphysics. In meta-ethics, he took the position of moral nihilism(though, since he was active prior to the existence of consistent naming conventions, Mackie used the term " moral skepticism" in his writings), arguing against the objective existence of "right" and "wrong" as intrinsically normative entities on fundamental grounds unsure what kinds of things such entities would be, if they existed (see, for example, Mackie 1977) (see Argument from Queerness). The Argument from Queernessalso suggests that the only way to know of such entities would be through an intuition or another faculty different from how we know everything else. He conjoined moral skepticism with error theory, holding that moral judgments, while cognitive, are all false since there are no moral properties about which our moral judgments could be correct.
Concerning religion, he was well known for vigorously defending
atheism, and also arguing that the problem of evilmade untenable the main monotheistic religions (see, for example, Mackie 1982). His criticisms of the free willdefence are particularly significant. He argued that the idea of human free will is no defense for those who wish to believe in an omnicompetent being in the face of evil and suffering, as such a being could have given us both free will and moral perfection, thus resulting in us choosing the good in every situation. Thus, Mackie's critique of free will theodicies was based on his support for compatibilism. In metaphysics, Mackie made significant contributions relating to the nature of causal relationships, especially regarding conditional statements describing them (see, for example, Mackie 1974) and the notion of an INUScondition.
* 1973, "Truth, Probability, and Paradox",
Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-824402-9.
* 1974, "The Cement of the Universe: A Study of Causation", Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-824642-0.
* 1976, "Problems from Locke", Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-824555-6.
* 1977, "Ethics: Inventing Right and Wrong", Viking Press, ISBN 0-14-013558-8.
* 1977, "The Third Theory of Law", "Philosophy & Public Affairs", Vol. 7, No. 1.
* 1980, "Hume's Moral Theory", Routledge Keegan & Paul, ISBN 0-7100-0525-3.
* 1982, "The Miracle of Theism: Arguments for and Against the Existence of God", Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-824682-X.
* 1985, "Logic and Knowledge: Selected Papers, Volume I", Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-824679-X.
* 1985, "Persons and Values: Selected Papers, Volume II", Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-824678-1.
References and further reading
* Franklin, James. (2003) "Corrupting the Youth: A History of Philosophy in Australia", Macleay Press, ISBN 1-876492-08-2.
* Honderich, Ted (ed). (1985) "Morality and Objectivity: A Tribute to J. L. Mackie", Routledge Kegan & Paul, ISBN 0-7100-9991-6.
* Stegmüller, Wolfgang. (1989) "Hauptströmungen der Gegenwartsphilosophie" (Bd. IV, Kapitel II, Teil A. Moralphilosophie ohne Metaphysik; Teil B. Mackies Wunder des Theismus), Alfred Kröner Verlag, ISBN 3-520-41501-1.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mackie — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Alec Mackie (1903–1984), irischer Fußballspieler Anthony Mackie (* 1979), US amerikanischer Schauspieler Darren Mackie (* 1982), schottischer Fußballspieler Gael Mackie (* 1988), kanadische Turnerin John C … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mackie — is a brand of the United States based company LOUD Technologies. The Mackie brand is used on professional music and recording equipment such as mixing consoles, loudspeakers, and DAW control surfaces.Tapco, an Edmonds, Washington based line mixer … Wikipedia
Mackie (disambiguation) — Mackie can refer to:* The philosopher, see John Leslie Mackie. * Mick, Irish slang. * The fashion designer, see Bob Mackie. * The sound reinforcement brand, Mackie … Wikipedia
Mackie Heilmann — (* 29. Oktober 1978 in Heidelberg) ist eine deutsche Film und Theater Schauspielerin. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben 2 Fernsehen 3 Theater 4 Weblinks … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mackie Jayson — est un batteur américain. Il joua dans le groupe bad brains de 1992 à 1994 , avant d être remplacé par Earl Hudson . Discographie Rise (1993) Ce document provient de « Mackie Jayson ». Catégories : Batteur américain | Batteur de punk rock … Wikipédia en Français
Mackie River — Mackie RiverVorlage:Infobox Fluss/GKZ fehlt Lage Western Australia (Australien) Flusssystem Swan RiverVorlage:Infobox Fluss/FLUSSSYSTEM falsch Abfluss über … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mackie Osborne — is an artist, responsible for design and illustrations of many music albums since the 1980s.cite web | publisher = All Music Guide | title = Mackie Osborne credits | url=http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg sql=11:apfwxqyhld0e T4 | accessdate … Wikipedia
Mackie lines — are lines of contrasting color found outlining elements of photos that employ the Sabatier Effect or solarisation. Sources http://www.artic.edu/webspaces/fendsley/altProc Sabattier.html … Wikipedia
Mackie Messer — Die Dreigroschenoper ist ein Theaterstück von Bertolt Brecht mit Musik von Kurt Weill. Die Uraufführung fand am 31. August 1928 im Theater am Schiffbauerdamm in Berlin statt. Das «Stück mit Musik in einem Vorspiel und acht Bildern» wurde die… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mackie, Bob — (1940 ) Born Robert Gordon Mackie in Monterey Park, California, he studied art and design at Choinard Art Institute in Los Angeles and Pasadena City College. Mackie started his career as a sketcher for Paramount Pictures, then later for 20th… … Historical Dictionary of the Fashion Industry
Mackie Academy — Infobox scottish primary, secondary and nursery school name= Mackie Academy image size= 200px caption=Mackie Academy in 2004 headteacher= headmistress= rector= Andrew Griffiths principal= type= State Secondary School educational authority=… … Wikipedia