- Marginal sea
The term marginal sea has differing meanings. In one sense the term is equivalent to territorial waters. In another sense the term indicates a partially enclosed sea adjacent to or widely open to the open ocean, but bounded by submarine ridges. The definition of "marginal sea" is politically important as reflecting on the power of national claims over the resources of the sea.
Marginal seas of the world
Sources differ over which seas are considered marginal seas as well as which ocean a given sea is considered a marginal part of. There is no single ultimate authority on the matter.
Marginal seas of the Arctic Ocean:
- Barents Sea
- Beaufort Sea
- Chukchi Sea (separated by Wrangel Island)
- Kara Sea
- Laptev Sea (separated by the Severnaya Zemlya and the New Siberian Islands)
Marginal seas of the Atlantic Ocean:
- Baltic Sea
- Caribbean Sea
- English Channel
- Hudson Bay
- Irish Sea (separated by Ireland)
- Mediterranean Sea
- North Sea (by Great Britain)
- Norwegian Sea (by Iceland, the Faroe Islands, and Shetland); and Greenland Sea
- Scotia Sea (by the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, and the South Sandwich Islands)
- Sometimes the Arctic Ocean itself is considered a marginal sea of the Atlantic.
Marginal seas of the Indian Ocean:
- Andaman Sea (separated by the Andaman and Nicobar Islands).
- Arabian Sea
- Bay of Bengal
- Java Sea (separated by the Greater Sunda Islands)
- Persian Gulf
- Red Sea
- Sea of Zanj (an historic entity off the southeast African coast and including the Mascarene islands)
Marginal seas of the Mediterranean Sea:
- Adriatic Sea
- Aegean Sea
- Alboran Sea
- Balearic Sea
- Black Sea
- Sea of Crete
- Ionian Sea
- Ligurian Sea
- Myrtoan Sea
- Thracian Sea
- Tyrrhenian Sea
Marginal sea of the Black Sea:
Marginal seas of the Pacific Ocean:
- Bering Sea (separated by the Aleutian Islands)
- Celebes Sea
- Coral Sea (by the Solomon Islands and Vanuatu).
- East China Sea (by the Ryukyu Islands)
- Philippine Sea (by the Ogasawara Islands, the Mariana Islands, and Palau)
- Sea of Chiloé (by Chiloé Island, Chile)
- Sea of Japan (by the Japanese Archipelago)
- Sea of Okhotsk (by the Kurile Islands and Kamchatka Peninsula)
- South China Sea (by the Philippines)
- Sulu Sea
- Tasman Sea (between Australia and New Zealand)
- Yellow Sea (by the Korean Peninsula)
Marginal seas of the Southern Ocean:
- ^ George M. Cole (21 March 1997). Water boundaries. John Wiley and Sons. pp. 137–139. ISBN 9780471179290. http://books.google.com/books?id=EG4IPBW-23EC&pg=PA137. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- ^ a b c d American Congress on Surveying and Mapping (1994). Glossary of the mapping sciences. ASCE Publications. p. 469. ISBN 9780784400500. http://books.google.com/books?id=jPVxSDzVRP0C&pg=PA469. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q James C. F. Wang (1992). Handbook on ocean politics & law. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 14–. ISBN 9780313264344. http://books.google.com/books?id=GrEOofrVra4C&pg=PA14. Retrieved 9 December 2010.
- ^ Kara Sea, Encyclopædia Britannica
- ^ Laptev Sea, Encyclopædia Britannica
- ^ Longhurt, Alan R. (2007). Ecological Geography of the Sea. Academic Press. p. 104. ISBN 9780124555211. http://books.google.com/books?id=QdJZezzrCfQC&pg=PA104. Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- ^ Andaman Sea, Encyclopædia Britannica
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
marginal sea — water that lies alongside a state, falls under its authority, and extends about 31/2 statute miles (6 kilometers) from the coast. * * * … Universalium
marginal sea — noun A part of ocean partially enclosed by land such as islands, archipelagos, or peninsulas … Wiktionary
marginal sea — noun : waters adjacent to a state and under its jurisdiction and extending outward from the coast about 3 1/2 statute miles * * * water that lies alongside a state, falls under its authority, and extends about 31/2 statute miles (6 kilometers)… … Useful english dictionary
Sea of Japan — Japanese name … Wikipedia
Sea of Okhotsk — Coordinates: 55°N 150°E / 55°N 150°E / 55; 150 … Wikipedia
sea — The ocean; the great mass of water which surrounds the land. In marine insurance sea includes not only the high seas but the bays, inlets, and rivers as high up as the tide ebbs and flows. The navigable sea is divided into three zones: (1)… … Black's law dictionary
Sea of Japan naming dispute — … Wikipedia
Sea level — For the sea level change associated with the current episode of global warming, see current sea level rise. For other uses, see Sea level (disambiguation). This marker indicating the sea level is placed on the path from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea … Wikipedia
Sea surface temperature — Weekly average sea surface temperature for the World Ocean during the first week of February 2011, during a period of La Niña … Wikipedia
Sea Rose Suites — (Ogunquit,США) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: 214 Shore Road, Ogunquit, ME 03907 … Каталог отелей