- Adam Phillips (animator)
Adam Phillips (born January 1971) is an
Australian freelanceanimator. His recent work, for which he is best known, has consisted of flash animationcompositions published on his website [http://www.biteycastle.com Bitey Castle] and on the flash portal Newgrounds(there, as of August 2007, his movies have over nine million views and he is the [http://www.newgrounds.com/rankings/artists sixth top rated artist] , considering that he has more uploads, he might even earn a higher ranking). He is the creator of the Brackenwoodseries.
Adam Phillips was a featured artist at the Adobe Design Center for the month of December, 2006. [http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/gallery/swf/index.html#u_sContent=adamphillips] The alternate soundtrack for "the YuYu" in that link was composed by [http://lee-miller.co.uk/ Lee Miller] .
Adam Phillips was born (1971) and raised in
Narromine, New South Wales. He displayed a precocious artistic enthusiasm early in life::"My mother recognized my talent for drawing when I was a toddler, and she maintains that I could hold a pencil correctly before my two legs could support me. I would sit on the floor for hours drawing spiders on my fingers and toes, and filling sheets of butcher's paper with doodles and scribbles." [http://www.chluaid.com/brackenwood/bio.htm]
In 1989, Phillips moved to Queensland to find work, and was later injured in an industrial accident. During his convalescence he dedicated himself to drawing, and in 1993 was hired by Disney to work as a tweener in Sydney. He was promoted in 1995 to the position of character animator, and in 1998 to effects director, a role in which he worked on several [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0680185/ sequels] to well-known Disney films.
In 2000, Phillips began his first animations in Flash, focusing on stories remembered from his childhood. His flash work soon grew to include a [http://www.biteycastle.com/bitey/ween.htm video] for the
Weensong "Transdermal Celebration", and winning entry in the cartoon category of the [http://www.flashforwardconference.com/ Flash Forward Film Festival] in early 2003. Phillips is a devoted Ween fan. In the picture above he is wearing a Ween shirt. Later that year, Phillips created "Bitey of Brackenwood", the second animation in his Brackenwoodseries and winner of the runner up prize of [http://www.tgsnt.com/ The Greatest Story Never Told (TGSNT)] flash competition. During this period, Phillips also began writing book chapters for flash guides.
In 2004 Phillips left Disney "to pursue [his] own interests." Since that time he has produced much content for his Brackenwood setting, including "Prowlies at the River", which won the TGSNT competition (subsequently, Phillips has stated that he will not enter any future TGSNT competitions). He has also continued to do outside work as a freelance animator, writer and special effects designer.
Phillips has also expressed the intention of creating a television series, feature film, and various books set in his Brackenwood world.
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/sageWindow.html Auld Sage] - Auld Sage sings a song from
Coldplay. Although not an official episode of Brackenwood, it is the first look at Brackenwood and one of its inhabitants.
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/bbWindow.html Bingbong of Brackenwood] - The first official episode of Brackenwood, which introduces Bingbong.
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/biteyWindow.html Bitey of Brackenwood] - The second official episode, which introduces Bitey.
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/prowlies.html Prowlies at the River - Brackenwood episode 3.]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/littleFoot.html littleFoot - Part 1 of Brackenwood episode 4.] - Created after "Prowlies at the River".
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/theYuyu.html the YuYu - Part 2 of Brackenwood episode 4.] - The first episode to be sponsored by Newgrounds.
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/waterlollies.html Waterlollies - Brackenwood episode 5] - Sponsored by Newgrounds and fan donations (also released via [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCxPEB-uu20 Youtube] by the creator himself.)
Phillips developed an artificial language for use in the Brackenwood stories. It is called Sarus and is gaining online popularity with a growing community of people learning and speaking the language. The shadow people in the movie [http://www.biteycastle.com/littleFoot.html littleFoot] are heard speaking Sarus.
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/main.html 30 shorts in 30 days]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/pokiesWindow.html Pokies - Phillips' first flash]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/nightShiftWindow.html Night Shift]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/hitchHikerWindow.html HitchHiker]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/taken.htm Taken - for Halloween 2005]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/333am.html 3:33am - for Halloween 2006]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/frankWindow.html Frank]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/theWishWindow.html The Wish]
* [http://www.biteycastle.com/angryManWindow.html Angry Man]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBferKARyoM Transdermal Celebration music video] , as mentioned above.
*"Flash MX Most Wanted: Effects & Movies" - has a chapter in which Phillips describes his work on "Hitchhiker: Part Two".
*"New Masters of Flash: Volume 3" - one of the chapters is written by Adam Phillips, studying lighting effects in depth and their implementation in Flash (focusing on the Brackenwood flashes).
Adam Phillips' long term project is to try to make a Brackenwood feature film, and he has stated that there is a far larger story which has been only hinted at in his short Brackenwood episodes.
Phillips is also working on a series of tutorial DVDs called the "Bitey Castle Academy" which would teach art and animation techniques to other artists. this page on his website biteycastle is still under construction
New York City'03): "The Hitchhiker: part 2" wins the Cartoon Category.
San Francisco'04): "Bingbong of Brackenwood" (Finalist in the Cartoon Category).
*2004—TGSNT: "Bitey of Brackenwood" (Runnerup)
*2005—TGSNT: Grand Prize for "Prowlies at the River"
*2005—Flashforward (San Francisco '05): "Prowlies at the River" wins the Cartoon Category.
Seattle'06): "littleFoot" wins the Cartoon Category.
Annecy International Animated Film Festival( Annecy, France'06): "littleFoot" officially nominated in the Internet Category.
*2006—Flashforward (Austin '06): "the Yuyu" wins the Cartoon Category.
Boston'07): 30 Shorts : 30 days wins People's Choice.
Newgrounds: "Waterlollies" : NG Tank Award for Best Movie of 2007
* [http://www.biteycastle.com Bitey Castle] website - Site contains [http://www.adobe.com/ Adobe Flash] content embedded, which requires the Flash browser plugin to be installed.
*imdb name|id=0680185|name=Adam Phillips
* [http://chluaid.newgrounds.com/ Adam Phillips at Newgrounds]
* [http://www.coldhardflash.com/2005/06/adam-phillips-part-1.html Adam Phillips] 3 part interview on Coldhardflash
* [http://www.newgrounds.com/ngmag/news/article/6 Review] of "Prowlies at the River" on
* [http://www.coldhardflash.com/2006/05/phillips-drops-yuyu.html ColdHardFlash's analysis and review of "the YuYu"]
* [http://www.brackenwood.net/blog/ Adam's Agenda]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Adam Phillips — The following people are named Adam Phillips: *Adam Phillips (animator) *Adam Phillips (psychologist) … Wikipedia
Sarus (language) — Sarus is an artificial language created by the Macromedia Flash animator Adam Phillips.ConstructionSarus consists of syllables which, when communicated, consist of symbols, tones, numbers, colors, gestures, or portions of a glyph. Its concept is… … Wikipedia
Victorian College of the Arts — This is not about the American pornographic movie studio VCA Pictures. The Victorian College of the Arts (VCA) is a leading Australian visual and performing arts training institution. As of January 1 2007, the VCA became known as the Faculty of… … Wikipedia
Ola Schubert — (2006) Ola Schubert (formerly Ola Bergner) (born 19 March 1972 in Täby) is a Swedish Flash animator whose films have won awards in film festivals and on popular internet sites such as Newgrounds and FWA. Contents … Wikipedia
Quebec (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Quebec Type = Album Artist = Ween Released = August 5, 2003 Recorded = 2003 Genre = Alternative rockNeo psychedelia Length = 55:01 Label = Sanctuary Producer = Andrew Weiss Reviews = * Allmusic Rating|3.5|5… … Wikipedia
Narromine, New South Wales — Narromine New South Wales Imperial Hotel … Wikipedia
List of residents of the greater Ashfield area — This is a List of notable residents or former residents of the greater Ashfield area, covering the suburbs of the Municipality of Ashfield in Sydney, Australia including Ashfield, Croydon, Haberfield, and Summer Hill.Arts* James Muir Auld (1879… … Wikipedia
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium
List of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies characters — This is an incomplete list of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies characters. Contents 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z B … Wikipedia
List of people from Montreal — This is a list of notable people from Montreal. Contents: Top · 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A … Wikipedia