- Sebastien Grainger
Infobox musical artist
Name = Sebastien Grainger
Img_capt = Grainger (right) with former bandmate
Jesse F. Keeler
Img_size = 200
Background = solo_singer
Birth_name = Sebastien Grainger
Born = birth date and age|1979|4|11
Instrument = vocals,
guitars, synth, Piano, drums
Genre = Rock,
Label = Ache, Sound Virus, Last Gang, Vice, 679,
Saddle Creek Records, Outside Music, JVC Japan
Associated_acts = The Rhythm Method,
Death from Above 1979and Femme Fatale.
Sebastien Grainger (born on
11 April 1979in Mississauga) is a Canadian solo musician, best known as the former drummer and singer of Dance punkduo Death from Above 1979. He is part owner of Giant Studios in Torontowith Jimmy Shaw of Metric.
Sebastien recently signed with
Saddle Creek Recordsin the USA, Outside Musicin Canada and JVCin Japan to release his debut solo album, entitled "Sebastien Grainger & The Mountains", which is to be released 21 October 2008. It was recorded between Giant Studio in Torontoand Mountain City Studio in Montreal. Grainger wrote and performed nearly all the parts on the record with the exception of a few songs that were recorded as a full band. He is currently playing shows across North America. When performing live, Grainger is joined by bassist Nick Sewell, drummer Leon Taheny and synthesiser and guitar player Andrew Scott. Together they have toured with Bloc Party, Metric, Hot Hot Heat& Albert Hammond Jr..
Death From Above 1979
Grainger is best known to the public for having been the singer and drummer in the now defunct
Dance punkduo Death from Above 1979, with bassist Jesse F. Keeler. The "1979" on the end of the band's name originated from Grainger's birth year, which he has tattooed on his forearm. Death from Above 1979broke up in 2006 stating personal and artistic differences.
The Rhythm Method
[http://www.myspace.com/therhythmmethodtherhythmmethod The Rhythm Method] is Grainger's dance/computer music alias. He has released one double a-side 7" in the UK for the songs "Renegade Silence/When You Go Out" available from [http://www.myspace.com/50bonesrecords 50 Bones Records] . An alternate mix of "Renegade Silence" will be available on Grainger's LP "Sebastien Grainger & The Mountains" labeled as "featuring The Rhythm Method".
Girl on Girl
Grainger has released remixes for
Death From Above 1979's "Black History Month" and Metric's "Poster of a Girl" under the alias "Girl on Girl", a collaboration with The Mountains' Leon Taheny. Earlier similar electronic works were once available, under the aliases "The Great White Hype" and "Synsonic Pro-Model", through a dedicated Myspace page, that has since vanished.
Collaborations and Contributions
* Grainger's voice was featured in the
Does It Offend You, Yeah?song "Let's Make Out".
* He contributed drums to the track "Sunday Morning" by Canadian hip-hop artist
k-os. He appears in the song's music video as a homeless man who is recruited as a drummer.
* He has collaborated with rising French electronica artist [http://www.myspace.com/0data0 DatA] . Their first single together, "Rapture", is available now, and other collaborations will follow on DatA's debut full length release.
* Grainger played drums both live and on one record for Keeler's pre-Death From Above 1979 solo project Femme Fatale.
* 2008 "American Names" (Digital EP/7" Vinyl)
* 2008 "Sebastien Grainger & The Mountains" (LP)
* 2008 "Data feat. Sebastien Grainger - Rapture" (EP)
The Rhythm Method
* 2008 "Renegade Silence/When You Go Out" (7" vinyl double A-side)
* 2009 "Finish Me Off" (
Death from Above 1979
* [http://www.sebastiengrainger.net Official Website]
* [http://sebastien-is-delicious.blogspot.com/ Food Blog]
* [http://www.myspace.com/sebastiengrainger Official MySpace Profile]
* [http://www.purevolume.com/sebastiengrainger Official Purevolume Profile]
* [http://www.deathfromabove1979.com Death from Above 1979 Official Website]
* [http://www.myspace.com/deathfromabove1979 Death from Above 1979 MySpace Profile]
* [http://snowsuitsounds.blogspot.com/2006/12/sebastien-grainger.html Snowsuit Sounds Interview] He discusses his recent solo work
* [http://www.soundbitesdog.com/ezine/?id=44 Sebastien Grainger Interview for Sound Bites Dog E-zine]
* [http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/08/an_interview_w_1.html Brooklyn Vegan Interview] Talks to Brooklyn Vegan about his new record, and his old band.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sebastien Grainger — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Grainger. Sebastien Grainger, né le 11 avril 1979 à Mississauga, est un musicien canadien. Il est connu du public pour avoir été le chanteur et batteur du groupe Death From Above 1979, séparé en 2006 et réuni… … Wikipédia en Français
Grainger (name) — Grainger is a surname of English origin. [http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Grainger name meaning.ashx Grainger Name Meaning and Origin] Retrieved on 2007 12 01] It is a variant of the surname Granger which is an occupational name for a farm bailiff … Wikipedia
Grainger — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie des personnes (réelles ou fictives) partageant un même patronyme. Percy Grainger (1882 1961), pianiste, saxophoniste et compositeur australien ; Sebastien Grainger, (né en 1979), musicien canadien.… … Wikipédia en Français
Death from Above 1979 — Origin Toronto, Ontario, Canada Genres Punk rock, dance punk, noise rock Years active 2001–2006, 2011 present Labels … Wikipedia
Death From Above 1979 — Pays d’origine Toronto, Ontario, Canada Genre musical Punk rock Dance punk Noise rock Années d activité 2001–2006, 2011 Labels Ache, Sound Virus, Last Gang, Vice Recordings, 679 … Wikipédia en Français
Death from Above 1979 — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Death from Above 1979 Información personal Origen Toronto, Ontario, Canadá … Wikipedia Español
You're a Woman, I'm a Machine — Infobox Album Name = You re a Woman, I m a Machine Type = studio Artist = Death from Above 1979 Released = October 26, 2004 Recorded = February–April 2004 at The Chemical Sound, Toronto and Studio Plateau, Montreal Genre = Indie Length = 35:03… … Wikipedia
Death from Above 1979 — était un duo de rock indépendant basé à Toronto, Canada. Les membres étaient Jesse F. Keeler (basse/synthé) et Sebastien Grainger (chant/batterie). Bien qu il fut plus tard rapporté que le groupe se soit en fait rencontré à un concert de Sonic… … Wikipédia en Français
Death from above 1979 — était un duo de rock indépendant basé à Toronto, Canada. Les membres étaient Jesse F. Keeler (basse/synthé) et Sebastien Grainger (chant/batterie). Bien qu il fut plus tard rapporté que le groupe se soit en fait rencontré à un concert de Sonic… … Wikipédia en Français
You're a Woman, I'm a Machine — de Death from Above 1979 Publicación 26 de octubre de 2004 Grabación Febrero Abril de 2004 en The Chemical Sound, Toronto y Studio Plateau, Montreal Género(s) Dance punk Noise rock … Wikipedia Español