- Masson-Angers, Quebec
Masson-Angers is a former municipality and now a sector within the City of Gatineau, located on the north shore of the Ottawa River, in Quebec, Canada, approximately 30 km (18.6 mi) northeast of downtown Ottawa.
The former municipality of Masson was created in 1897, while its neighbouring town, Angers was created in 1915. The area was key for the lumber industry dominated by the MacLaren family in the early 20th century and a large mill was built in Masson near the Du Lièvre River. It was briefly merged with Buckingham in 1975 but later formed a new municipality with Angers which was now called Masson-Angers. On June 27 1978, an F2 tornado swept through the eastern half of Masson causing extensive damage to the town.
On January 1, 2002, Masson-Angers was amalgamated into the newly created city of Gatineau. It had consisted of the communities of Masson and Angers.
A subsequent vote on June 20, 2004 for a demerger from Gatineau failed to restore the once incorporated town. The majority of the votes cast in Masson-Angers were in favour of separation from Gatineau, but they did not represent at least 35% of the electorate. However, current councillor Luc Montreuil disputed the result reversal mentionning that the electoral list was not updated correctly for the vote. After the reversal, the issue went to court.
Initially, the results showed that the sector would be removed from Gatineau by just two votes but a dispute on allegations that some people voted twice had caused the result to be reversed which caused the new result dispute by Luc Montreuil and his pro-defusion group.
In June 2008, the Quebec Superior Court concluded that there were no issues with the electoral list and thus Masson-Angers remained with the city of Gatineau. After the Court's decision the Collectif pour la reconstitution de Masson-Angers decided in July not to appeal the decision officially closing the referendum case.
Features and facts
- Public transportation is provided by the Société de transport de l'Outaouais and has an interzone route (Route 94) and a regular route (Route 96) serving the area. Route 148 and Autoroute 50 are the main highways in the sector
- The sector is home to the city's largest outdoor market the Encan Larose (Larose Market) which also has an indoor shopping center and food court and other interior boutiques selling a variety of products.
- ^ Boivin, Mathieu (July 31, 2004). "Luc Montreuil dépose sa requête pour une révision de la liste de vote (Councillor depositing request for electoral list review)". Le Droit. p. 4.
- ^ Jury, Pierre (June 25, 2006). "La défusion de Masson-Angers (Masson-Angers is dermerging from Gatineau)". Le Droit. p. 20.
- ^ Lord, Audrey (June 21, 2004). "Masson-Angers l'emporte de justesse (Masson-Angers narrowly wins referendum)". Le Droit. p. 3.
- ^ Lecavalier, Guy (July 2, 2004). "Montreuil doit démissionner (Montreuil must resign)". Le Droit. p. 17.
- ^ L'Ecuyer, Marie-Pierre (June 17, 2008). "Masson-Angers reste dans Gatineau: la ville est satisfaite, Montreuil est déçu". Info07.com. http://www.info07.com/article-i223888-MassonAngers-reste-dans-Gatineau-la-ville-est-satisfaite-Montreuil-est-decu.html.
- ^ L'Ecuyer,, Marie-Pierre (July 14, 2008). "Le Collectif pour la reconstitution de Masson-Angers n'ira pas en appel". Info07.com. http://www.info07.com/article-232119-Le-Collectif-pour-la-reconstitution-de-MassonAngers-nira-pas-en-appel.html.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Masson-angers — fait maintenant partie de la ville de Gatineau depuis la fusion municipale de 2002, dans la région administrative de l Outaouais, au Québec, Canada. Cette ancienne municipalité est traversée par la rivière du Lièvre, et est sur le rivage de la… … Wikipédia en Français
Masson-Angers — 45°32′N 75°25′W / 45.533, 75.417 Masson Angers fait maintenant partie de la ville de Gatineau depuis la fusion municipale de 2 … Wikipédia en Français
Masson-Angers District — The Masson Angers District (District 16) is a municipal district in the city of Gatineau, Quebec. It is represented on Gatineau City Council by Luc Montreuil. The district is located in the Masson Angers sector of the city, and is the sector s… … Wikipedia
Masson — may refer to: In places: Masson (provincial electoral district), a Quebec provincial electoral district People with the surname Masson: Masson (surname) In businesses: Paul Masson Mountain Winery See also Masson Island, an Antarctic island Masson … Wikipedia
Quebec Route 315 — Infobox road province=QC type=QC route=315 maint= direction=South/North established= decommissioned= alternate name= length km=87 length round= length ref= direction b=North direction a=South terminus b= jct|state=QC|QC|323 in Namur| terminus a=… … Wikipedia
Masson — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sommaire 1 Patronyme 2 Toponyme 3 Écon … Wikipédia en Français
Quebec Route 148 — Infobox road province=QC type=QC route=148 maint= established= decommissioned= length km = 320 direction a=West direction b=East terminus b= jct|state=QC|A|25 in Saint Vincent de Paul ( Laval) previous type=QC previous route=147 next type=QC next … Wikipedia
Quebec Route 309 — Infobox road province=QC type=QC route=309 maint= direction=South/North established= decommissioned= alternate name= length km=131 length round= length ref= direction a=South direction b=North terminus a= jct|state=QC|A|50 in Gatineau… … Wikipedia
Le Masson — Masson Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Patronyme Le nom de Masson, est porté par plusieurs personnalités (par ordre alphabétique) : Adine Masson, joueuse de tennis du début du… … Wikipédia en Français
Gatineau, Québec — Gatineau Pour les articles homonymes, voir Gatineau (homonymie). Gatineau Centre ville de Gatineau vu d Ottawa A … Wikipédia en Français