- Walter Alexander Coachbuilders
:"Walter Alexander is also the name of participant in the
O.J. Simpson Robbery Case"
Walter Alexander Coachbuilders was a Scottish
bus coachbuilderbased in Falkirk.
In 1922, the founder of the company, Walter Alexander, decided that it would be beneficial to make buses for his own bus company (Alexander's Motor Service), so he, with the help of his son, launched W. Alexander & Sons Limited.
In 1928, several of the major British railway companies bought into the Scottish Motor Traction Company Limited (SMT). Walter Alexander decided to sell his bodybuilding business to the SMT group in 1929, and through this action, received access to a vast supply of resources and services.
One of their early bodies, the "Alexander Bluebird", was launched in 1934. It set new standards for buses style and comfort.
In 1948, W. Alexander & Sons Limited was renamed Walter Alexander & Co (Coachbuilders) Limited.
In 1969, the company bought out Potters, a bodybuilder in
Northern Ireland, and set up a subsidiary Walter Alexander & Co (Belfast) Limited.
The ownership of the company had been changed several times during 1990s, finally the company was bought by Mayflower Corporation PLC in 1995.
In 2001, it was incorporated into
Transbus International. It is now part of Alexander Dennis.
British Rail Class 143- on underframes by Andrew Barclay
British Rail Class 144- on underframes by BREL
* A type and J type - double-deck body (for Atlantean/Fleetline) to 1972
* D type, K type and AD type (A for alloy) - lowheight double-deck body (mainly on Fleetline chassis)
* L type and AL type - double-deck body (for Atlantean/Fleetline/VR) from 1972
* AV type - double-deck body for Volvo Ailsa B55
* R type - including RH, RL, RV, RLC, RVC, RHS and Royale - post 1981 double deck body
* ALX series - including ALX400 & ALX500 - low-floor bodies
* CB type - for
China Motor Bus
* KB type - for
Kowloon Motor Bus
* LB type - for
New Lantao Bus
* MB type - for Manila Bus
* SB type - for
Singapore Bus Service
ingle-deck buses and coaches
* Y type - including AY and AYS types (A for alloy)
* W type
* M type - Motorway coach for
Scottish Bus GroupAnglo-Scottish services
* T type - including AT, TS, TC, TE (A for alloy, S for stage, C for coach, E for express)
* P type
* PS type - development of P type, popular with Stagecoach and SBS Transit
* X type - built by Alexander (Belfast)
* N type - built by Alexander (Belfast)
* Q type - built by Alexander (Belfast)
* AF type (Strider) - for full-size rear-engined chassis
* AM type
** Sprint - minibus body
** Dash - midibus body (for
Dennis Dart/ Volvo B6)
* Ultra - Alexander (Belfast) version of Swedish Säffle body for the
* ALX series
** ALX100 - minibus
** ALX200 - small low-floor single-deck
** ALX300 - full-size low-floor single-deck
* [http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/millennium-makers/walter-alexander-6.html Article from "The Falkirk Wheel"]
* [http://www.alexander-dennis.com Alexander Dennis's official website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Walter Alexander Coachbuilders — Leyland Olympian mit Aufbau von Alexander Walter Alexander Coachbuilders war ein Karosseriebauunternehmen aus Falkirk in Schottland. Gegründet 1922, besteht das Unternehmen heute als Teil der Alexander Dennis Limited fort … Deutsch Wikipedia
Walter Alexander (disambiguation) — Walter Alexander can refer to:;Companies: * Walter Alexander Coachbuilders, Scottish bus coachbuilder ;People: * Walter G. Alexander (1880 1953), African American physician and politician from New Jersey * Walter Alexander, founder of Walter… … Wikipedia
Alexander (disambiguation) — Alexander is a common male first name and less common surname. For lists of people with the name, see Alexander and others below.*Alexander the Great, King of Macedonia and the son of Philip, 336–323 BC * Alexander (film), 2004 film by Oliver… … Wikipedia
Alexander Dennis — Infobox Company company name = Alexander Dennis Ltd. company company type = Private company slogan = foundation = 2004 location = flagicon|UK Falkirk, Scotland, UK key people = num employees = industry = Automotive products = Single double decker … Wikipedia
Alexander ALX400 — The Alexander ALX400 (later known as the TransBus ALX400 and the Alexander Dennis ALX400) is a 2 axle double decker bus body built by Walter Alexander Coachbuilders (later by TransBus International/Alexander Dennis). It was one of the ALX series… … Wikipedia
Alexander Y Type — The Alexander Y Type was a long running design of single deck bus or coach bodywork built by Walter Alexander Coachbuilders of Falkirk, Scotland. It was built on a wide range of chassis between 1962 and 1983. A small number were built at… … Wikipedia
Leyland Tiger — Der Name Leyland Tiger bezeichnet zwei verschiedene Omnibusmodelle des britischen Herstellers Leyland Motors. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Tiger TS/TF/PS 2 Tiger B43 3 Einzelnachweise 4 Weblinks … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bristol RE — Bristol Bristol RE Hersteller: Bristol Commercial Vehicles Bauart: Linienbus Produktionszeitraum: 1962 1982 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Dennis Dorchester — Der Name Dennis Dorchester bezeichnet ein Fahrgestell für schwere Reisebusse, das von britischen Hersteller Dennis Brothers zwischen 1983 und 1988 in geringer Stückzahl hergestellt wurde. Ausgelegt war das Fahrgestell vorrangig für den Aufbau von … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bristol LH — Bristol Bristol LH Hersteller: Bristol Commercial Vehicles Bauart: Linienbus Produktionszeitraum: 1967 1982 … Deutsch Wikipedia