- Onkel Toms Hütte (Berlin U-Bahn)
The station was designed by Alfred Grenander, and was placed in service on December 22, 1929 as the centre of the modernist Onkel Toms Hütte housing estate, built between 1926 and 1932 by architects Bruno Taut, Hugo Häring and others. Two strip malls and a small cinema were added in 1932.
The area was named after United States author and anti-slavery advocate Harriet Beecher Stowe's 1853 novel Uncle Tom's Cabin. In 1885 a local landlord named Thomas opened a public house at the southern rim of the Grunewald forest and installed several small huts in his beer garden to shelter his guests from the rain. These huts were referred to as "Tom's Cabins", which reminded many of the famous book. Over the years the estate, the station, even the cinema and the Onkel-Tom-Straße took on the name as well. The pub was finally demolished in 1979.
- ^ J. Meyer-Kronthaler: Berlins U-Bahnhöfe. be.bra Verlag (1996)
Preceding station Berlin U-Bahn Following stationTerminus U3toward Nollendorfplatz
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.