- Central Securities Depository
A Central Securities Depository (CSD) is an organization holding
securitieseither in certificated or uncertificated (dematerialized) form, to enable book entrytransfer of securities. In some cases these organizations also carry out centralized comparison, and transaction processing such as clearing and settlement of securities. The physical securities may be immobilised by the depository, or securities may be dematerialised (so that they exist only as electronic records).
International Central Securities Depository (ICSD) is a central securities depository that settles trades in international securities and in various domestic securities, usually through direct or indirect (through local agents) links to local CSDs.
ClearStream International(earlier Cedel), Euroclearand SegaInterSettleare considered ICSDs. While some view The Depository Trust Company (DTC) as a national CSD rather than an ICSD, in fact DTC -- the largest depository in the world -- holds over $2 trillion in non-US securities and in American Depository Receipts from over 100 nations.
* Safekeeping Securities may be in dematerialized form, book-entry only form (with one or more "global" certificates), or in physical form immobilized within the CSD.
* Deposit and Withdrawal Supporting deposits and withdrawals involves the relationship between the transfer agent and/or issuers and the CSD. It also covers the CSD's role within the
underwritingprocess or listing of new issues in a market.
* Dividend, interest, and principal processing, as well as corporate actions including proxy voting Paying and transfer agents, as well as issuers are involved in these processes, depending on the level of services provided by the CSD and its relationship with these entities.
* Other services CSDs offer additional services aside from those considered core services. These services include Securities
Lendingand Borrowing, Matching, and Repo Settlement
* Pledge - Central depositories provide pledging of share and securities. Every country require to provide legal framework to protect the interest of the pledgor and pledgee.
However, there are risks and responsibilities regarding these services that must be taken into consideration in analyzing and evaluating each market on a case-by-case basis. [ [http://www.exchange-handbook.co.uk/articles_story.cfm?id=38756&search=1 exchange-handbook.co uk article] on the risks associated with Depositories, at the "Handbook of world stock, derivative and commodity exchanges" website.]
* [http://www.acsda.org/ Americas' Central Securities Depository Association]
* [http://www.acgcsd.org Asia Pacific Central Securities Depository Group]
* [https://www.ecsda.com/ European Central Securities Depository Group]
* [http://www.sfe.com.au/content/austraclear/services/csd.htm Australian CSD]
* [http://www.euroclear.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/.cmd/cs/.ce/7_0_A/.s/7_0_8SH/_s.7_0_A/7_0_8SH French CSD]
* [http://deutsche-boerse.com/dbag/dispatch/en/kir/gdb_navigation/settlement_custody/10_CS_Depository German CSD]
* [http://www.mkk.com.tr/ Turkish CSD]
* [http://www.hcsd.gr/ Greek CSD]
* [http://www.nsdl.co.in Indian CSD 1]
* [http://www.cdslindia.com Indian CSD 2]
* [http://www.montetitoli.it Italian CSD]
* [http://www.iberclear.com Spanish CSD]
* [http://www.interbolsa.pt Portuguese CSD]
* [http://www.oekb.at Austrian CSD]
* [http://www.jasdec.com/en/company/index.html Japanese CSD]
* [http://www.cdhv.org.mk/English/home.htm Macedonian CSD]
* [http://www.ndc.ru/ru/ Russian CSD]
* [http://www.crhov.co.yu/index.cfm?jezik=en Serbian CSD]
* [http://www.ncsd.eu/ Swedish and Finnish CSD]
* [http://www.uk.vp.dk/ Danish CSD]
* [http://www.vps.no/ Norwegian CSD]
* [https://www.e-register.ee/ Estonian CSD]
* [http://www.lv.omxgroup.com/?id=2686 Latvian CSD]
* [http://www.csdl.lt/en/index.php Lithuanian CSD]
* [http://www.vbsi.is/ Icelandic CSD]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Central Securities Depository — Ein Zentralverwahrer (auch Wertpapiersammelbank, englisch: Central Securities Depository) ist eine Gesellschaft, die die Verwahrung und den Übertrag von Wertpapieren in Form effektiver Stücke oder von Bucheinträgen (dematerialisierte Wertpapiere) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Central securities depository — A central securities depository ( CSD ) is a financial institution that custodies securities and provides securities settlement services to one or more markets.A CSD enables transactions to be processed by book entry. Securities may exist either… … Wikipedia
Central Securities Depository — ( CSD) Euroclear Clearing and Settlement glossary An entity which operates a system enabling clients to hold, manage and transfer securities by book entry. Euroclear Clearing and Settlement glossary A Central Securities Depository is a financial… … Financial and business terms
Central Securities Depository — (CSD) An entity which operates a system enabling clients to hold, manage and transfer securities by book entry … Euroclear glossary
international central securities depository — ( ICSD) Euroclear Clearing and Settlement glossary An entity in which securities are held and managed, and which enables transactions to be processed by book entry. An ICSD also settles trades in international securities and in various domestic… … Financial and business terms
international central securities depository — (ICSD) An entity in which securities are held and managed, and which enables transactions to be processed by book entry. An ICSD also settles trades in international securities and in various domestic securities, usually through direct or… … Euroclear glossary
Central Registration Depository (CRD) — A database used by the National Association Of Securities Dealers and the North American Securities Administrators Association to store and maintain information on registered securities and broker firms. The Central Registration Depository can be … Investment dictionary
National Securities Depository Limited — Type Private Industry Business Services Founded 2003 … Wikipedia
Eastern Caribbean Central Securities Registry — The Eastern Caribbean Central Securities Registry (ECCSR) is the Central Securities Depository for the securities traded on the Eastern Caribbean Securities Exchange (ECSE). It is based in Basseterre on the island of Saint Kitts and is a wholly… … Wikipedia
Depository Trust Company — ( DTC) An organization that holds physical certificates for stocks and bonds and issues receipts to owners. Securities held by DTC are immobilized so that they can be traded on a book entry basis. American Banker Glossary ( DTC) DTC is the world… … Financial and business terms