- David Grant (singer)
David Grant Birth name David Grant Also known as Daniel Tosh Born 8 August 1956
Occupations Singer Instruments Vocals, vocal coach Years active 1980–present Labels Chrysalis, Polydor, Fourth & Broadway Associated acts Linx
Grant became famous in the early 1980s as a member of UK soul/funk duo, Linx, whose biggest hit was Intuition in 1981. He began a solo career in 1983 with the Top 40 hit "Stop and Go". Further hits included "Watching You Watching Me" and two duets with Jaki Graham, "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love" which reached number five in 1985 and the Todd Rundgren-penned "'Mated" which made number 20 later that year. He has also worked as a session singer for artists including Diana Ross, Rick Astley and the Lighthouse Family.
Grant has become well known, along with his second wife Carrie Grant, as vocal coach on Pop Idol; judge and vocal coach on the BBC TV talent show Fame Academy; and its spin-off Comic Relief does Fame Academy. In addition, in working with some of the UK’s top pop acts including Take That, S Club, and more recently Will Young, Atomic Kitten, Mel C, Lemar, Charlotte Church, Joss Stone and Julian Perretta.
He also appears regularly as a panellist on the Five topical debate show, The Wright Stuff. In 2006 he appeared in the four part BBC television series The Sound of Musicals. In September 2006 he appeared on BBC's MasterChef programme. At the start of 2008 Grant sat as a judge on the BBC One talent show The One and Only, where once again he worked alongside Carrie Grant.
Soon after Grant starred as the celebrity 'hider' in an episode of the CBBC show Hider in the House. He is so far the only celebrity to have been 'discovered' in the first day's filming of the show. This appearance was a precursor to Grant and Carrie branching out into children's television later in the year, when they hosted their own CBeebies show Carrie and David's Popshop.
- David Grant (1983) (UK #32)
- Hopes and Dreams (1985) (UK #96)
- Change (1987)
- Anxious Edge (1990)
- Watching and Waiting (1997) with Carrie Grant
- Best of Jaki Graham & David Grant & Linx (2004) (consisted of 2001 recordings of the duo's old hits, plus one new duet, "Fragile")
- "Have Yourself a Merry Christmas" (1982)
- "Stop and Go" (1983) (UK #19)
- "Watching You Watching Me" (1983) (UK #10)
- "Love will Find a Way" (1983) (UK #24)
- "Rock the Midnight" (1983) (UK #46)
- "Organize" / "Wrap Yourself Around Me" (1984)
- "Could It Be I'm Falling in Love" (1985) (UK #5) (duet with Jaki Graham)
- "Where Our Love Begins" (1985)
- "Mated" (1985) (UK #20) (duet with Jaki Graham)
- "Change" (1987) (UK #55)
- "Before Too Long" (1987)
- "Take Us Back" (1987)
- "Intuition '88" (1988) (re-recording of the Linx hit)
- "Life" (1989)
- "Keep It Together" (1990) (UK #56)
- "Life '90" (1990) (Norman Cook remix)
- "Hurt" (1992)
- "Shake" (1999) (credited to Foreal People - Joey Negro featuring David Grant)
Year Film Role Notes 2004 Mysti Himself Series 1 - one episode 2008 Carrie and David's Popshop Himself 30 episodes
- ^ Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 323. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KauiM2zz898
- ^ a b Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 234. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- David and Carrie Grant's official web site
- Carrie & David's Official Fansite
- Fame Academy profile
- Thames Angel website
Fame Academy Series1 · 2 · Comic Relief series Hosts Judges Teachers Main series winners Celebrity winners Other alumni Winners songs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
David Grant — may refer to: David Grant (poet) David Grant (academic), Vice Chancellor of Cardiff University in Wales David Grant (American football) (born 1965), American football player David Grant (Australian rules footballer), All Australian footballer… … Wikipedia
David Sneddon — at Highbarn Essex Background information Birth name David Sneedon Born … Wikipedia
Grant (name) — Grant can be both a surname and a given name. The name is of English and Scottish origin (see Clan Grant), and there are several possible origins for the name.*One possible origin of the name is from a nickname derived from the Anglo Norman… … Wikipedia
David Phelps — For the American politician, see David D. Phelps. David Phelps David Phelps, left Background information Birth name … Wikipedia
David Ruffin — Background information Birth name Davis Eli Ruffin Born January 18, 1941(1941 01 1 … Wikipedia
David Bowie — Bowie during the Heathen Tour in 2002. Background information Birth name David Robert Jones Born … Wikipedia
David Singer (poker player) — David Singer David Singer at the $15,000 buy in National Poker League Vegas Open Championship in 2007 Hometown Mamaroneck, New York World Series of Poker … Wikipedia
David Hasselhoff — in 2009. Born David Michael Hasselhoff July 17, 1952 (1952 07 17) (age 59) … Wikipedia
David Bierk — (9 June 1944, Appleton, Minnesota – August 28, 2002), was an American born Canadian painter. His work is exhibited at the Nancy Hoffman Gallery in New York City. According to Askart.com (), Bierk was primarily active in California and… … Wikipedia
David Hughes (tenor) — David Hughes (Geoffrey Paddison) David Hughes (born Geoffrey Paddison, 11 October 1929 19 October 1972) was an English born popular singer of Welsh extraction who became an opera singer … Wikipedia