- Vain (band)
Vain are a
glam metalband formed in the San Francisco Bay Areain 1986, at the last wave of the Glam Metal era, and in a time when the city's main musical export was thrash metalslowly changing to Punk. The band were formed by vocalist Davy Vain, and were signed to Island Recordsin 1989 upon the release of their debut album "No Respect" that same year. The band also embarked on a European Tour in support of Skid Row.
The five members of Vain are:
*Jaime Scott (
Ashley Mitchell( bass guitar)
To Hell & Back
In 1991, things were to take a turn for the worse for Vain, and it would be finances rather than
grungewhich claimed this glam metalcasualty, as their label collapsed before the band could release their second studio album"All Those Strangers".
West and Rickard left the band in late 1991. Guitarist
Shawn Rorieand former Guns N' Rosesdrummer Steven Adlerjoined the band, which was re-named Roadcrew. The band quickly fell apart due to Adler's drug habit(s), but many of the Roadcrew songs can be found on later Vain releases.
In 1993, the classic Vain lineup, minus Rickard, got back together to release "Move On It", a Japan-only release.
Louie Senorjoined the band as its drummer for the album, and the band released "Fade". Both albums showed maturity and growth from the debut, and were critically well-received.
Guitarist Danny West released a solo album in 1995 called "Taste the Sounds" on
Geron Records. The album was a Japan-only release.
In 2000 Davy Vain released a solo album called "In From Out of Nowhere", and also found work as a
record producer. He earlier helped produce the debut album of Death Angelin 1987. He later helped as an engineer on Christina Aguilera's "Stripped" Album.
In 2005 had something of a revival when
Gott Discsre-released the band's first album "No Respect" worldwide in January of that year. The band also recorded a new album, entitled "On the Line" which received critical acclaim. A UK tour in 2005 (supported by New Generation Superstars) proved immensely successful, and one show was awarded the maximum KKKKK rating by Steve Beebeefrom British metal magazine Kerrang!. The band toured again in 2006 (again with New Generation Superstars). In summer 2008 Vain will play at the 2nd annual 80's rock festival, Rocklahoma.
* (1989) No Respect
* (1991) All Those Strangers (Unreleased [but available via p2p sites] )
* (1994) Move On It
* (1997) Fade
* (2000) In From Out Of Nowhere
* (2005) On The Line
* [http://www.davyvain.com/ DavyVain.com] - Official site
* [http://www.myspace.com/vainkeepshiningon Vain Page on myspace]
* [http://www.metalsludge.tv/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1091&Itemid=1/ 20 Questions with Davy Vain] at MetalSludge.tv
* [http://www.glam-metal.com/vain.html Interview with Davy Vain] at Glam-Metal.com
* [http://my.starstream.net/daveroe/ Dave Roe's Fan Site]
* [http://hem2.passagen.se/danstar/ Daniel Staresina's Fan Site]
* [http://www.jefnel1.com/vain/index.htm Jefnel1's Fan Site]
* [http://com5.runboard.com/bvainmessageboards Vain message board]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.