- Walrus HULA
The Walrus HULA is a proposed Hybrid Ultra Large Aircraft. The goal is to create an
airshipcapable of traveling up to 12,000 nautical miles (about 22,000 km) in range, while carrying 500-1000 tons of cargo. In distinct contrast to earlier generation airships, the Walrus HULA will be a heavier-than-air vehicle and will generate lift through a combination of aerodynamics, thrust vectoring, and gas buoyancygeneration and management. As of April 2006, the project is in danger of termination. The 2007 Budget request from DARPA calls for the termination of work on WALRUS after completion of the current Phase I contracts. Fact|date=April 2007 DARPAsays that advances in envelope and hull materials, buoyancy and lift control, drag reduction and propulsion have combined to make this concept feasible. Technologies to be investigated in the initial study phase include vacuum/air buoyancy compensator tanks, which provide buoyancy control without ballast, and electrostatic atmospheric ion propulsion.
The WALRUS could potentially expand and speed up the
strategic airliftcapability of the United Statessubstantially while simultaneously reducing costs. However, while such a project has not been seriously attempted before, costs are still uncertain. A smaller scale demonstration is scheduled for 2008, when a small scale version of the WALRUS designed to carry only the capacity of a C-130 Hercules(i.e. 18,000 kga or about 40,000 pounds) is expected to fly.
* Defense Industry Daily (Oct 21/05) - [http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2005/10/us-cbo-gives-ok-to-hula-airships-for-airlift/index.php US Congressional Budget Office Gives OK to HULA Airships for Airlift] . Offers comparisons of the WALRUS HULA with other air and seaborne transport options.
* Defense Industry Daily (Oct 21/05) - [http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2005/10/walrus-heavylift-blimp-getting-off-the-ground/index.php WALRUS Heavy-Lift Blimp Getting Off the Ground] . DID's focus article offers in-depth and updated coverage of the WALRUS project.
* Defense Industry Daily (July 6/05) - [http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/2005/07/usaf-looking-at-nearspace-blimps/index.php USAF Looking at Near-Space Blimps] . A 90-day USAF study has concluded that there is "military utility" in this technology.
* Gizmag article about Walrus [http://www.gizmag.co.uk/go/4538/1/]
* Gizmag article on Aeros HULA [http://www.gizmag.com/go/6430/]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hula (disambiguation) — Hula may refer to: *Hula, a Native Hawaiian dance *Hula hoop, a toy *Hula (film) (1927), a film directed by Victor Fleming *Hula Valley and Lake Hula, Israel *Hula, Lebanon (originally called Hule) *Hula massacre, which took place in Hula,… … Wikipedia
Walrus (disambiguation) — In addition to the animal, Walrus may refer to:People* Paul McCartney, who was the Walrus , according to The Beatles song Glass Onion . *Barry White, who was popularly known as The Walrus of Love . *Craig Stadler, professional PGA Tour golfer,… … Wikipedia
Walrus — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sur les autres projets Wikimedia : « Walrus », sur le Wiktionnaire (dictionnaire universel) … Wikipédia en Français
Airship — For other uses, see Airship (disambiguation). Dirigible redirects here. For the 1931 film, see Dirigible (film). Not to be confused with Balloon (aircraft) or Blimp. Airship … Wikipedia
Dirigible — «Zeppelin» redirige aquí. Para la banda de rock, véase Led Zeppelin. Dirigible … Wikipedia Español
Aeroscraft — The Aeroscraft model ML866 is a planned 400 ton hybrid airship, to be built by the Worldwide Aeros Corporation.cite web url = http://news.com.com/2300 11397 3 6046252 1.html title = Cruise ship of the sky? accessdate = 2007 05 14 date = 2006 03… … Wikipedia
Mack Sennett — En 1910 Données clés Nom de naissance Michael Sinnott Surno … Wikipédia en Français
Micheal Sinott — Mack Sennett Mack Sennett Mack Sennett, de son vrai nom Michael Sinnott, (17 janvier 1880 à Danville, Québec 5 novembre 1960 à Woodland Hills, Californie) est un … Wikipédia en Français
Betty Boop — is an animated cartoon character appearing in the Talkartoon and Betty Boop series of films produced by Max Fleischer and released by Paramount Pictures. With her overt sexual appeal, Betty was a hit with theater goers, and despite having been… … Wikipedia
List of Camp Lazlo episodes — This is the list of episodes of the Cartoon Network animated series Camp Lazlo. Except where specifically mentioned in the episode synopses, each half hour episode consists of two separately titled segments. Contents 1 Overview 2 Season 1: 2005 3 … Wikipedia