- Maria Klawe
Maria Klawe Born 1951 (age 59–60)
Occupation President of Harvey Mudd College Board member of Microsoft, Broadcom Spouse Nicholas Pippenger, 1980 Children two
Maria M. Klawe (pronounced CLAW-vay) is a computer scientist and the fifth president of Harvey Mudd College (since July 1, 2006). Although born in Toronto in 1951, she became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 2009. She was previously Dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science at Princeton University.
Klawe was born in Toronto in 1951. She lived in Scotland from ages 4 to 12, and then returned to Canada, living with her family in Edmonton, Alberta. Klawe studied at the University of Alberta, dropped out to travel the world, and returned to earn her B.Sc. in 1973. She stayed at Alberta for her graduate studies, and in 1977 she earned her Ph.D. there in mathematics. She started a second Ph.D., in computer science, at the University of Toronto, but was offered a faculty position there before completing the degree. She spent eight years in the industry, serving at IBM Almaden Research Center, in San Jose, California, first as a research scientist, then as manager of the Discrete Mathematics Group and manager of the Mathematics and Related Computer Science Department. She and her husband Nick Pippenger then moved to the University of British Columbia, where she stayed for 15 years and served as head of the Department of Computer Science from 1988 to 1995, vice president of student and academic services from 1995 to 1998, and dean of science from 1998 to 2002. From UBC she moved to Princeton and then Harvey Mudd College. Previously a Canadian national, Klawe was among 5,996 persons who became citizens of the United States at a ceremony held at the Los Angeles Convention Center on Thursday, Jan. 29, 2009. Later in 2009, she joined the board of directors of the Microsoft Corporation.
In addition to her career as a scientist and academic, Klawe is well known for her water color painting. Klawe is an active volunteer and advocate for encouraging more women to enter STEM fields.
Awards and honors
In 1996 Klawe was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery. In 2006, Klawe was inducted as a founding Fellow of the Canadian Information Processing Society. She was awarded an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science in a ceremony at the University of Alberta on June 12, 2007. The University of Ottawa also conferred an honorary doctorate to her in a convocation on June 8, 2008.
Some of Klawe's best-cited research works concern algorithms for solving geometric optimization problems, distributed leader election, the art gallery problem, and the effects of gender on electronic game-playing. She founded the Aphasia Project, a collaboration between UBC and Princeton to study aphasia and develop cognitive aids for people suffering from it, after her friend Anita Borg developed brain cancer. Klawe's Erdős number is 1.
- ^ Maria Klawe Named Fifth President of Harvey Mudd College.
- ^ http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/tap/present-women-bio.html
- ^ a b c d Semuels, Alana (March 15, 2009), "Microsoft did the math, chose her", Los Angeles Times: B2 .
- ^ Maria Klawe at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
- ^ President Klawe Becomes U.S. Citizen
- ^ Microsoft adds new board member
- ^ Diamond in the Mudd: the many facets of Maria Klawe, Harvey Mudd College's new leader.
- ^ Harvey Mudd College President Maria Klawe on Women in Science, Math and Engineering
- ^ "CIPS Fellow Members". CIPS (the Canadian Information Processing Society). http://www.cips.ca/?q=fellowmembers. Retrieved April 02, 2010.
- ^ http://www.recteur.uottawa.ca/doctorat-details.html?var=751&plus=discours
- ^ Aggarwal, Alok; Klawe, Maria M.; Moran, Shlomo; Shor, Peter; Wilber, Robert (1987), "Geometric applications of a matrix-searching algorithm", Algorithmica 2 (1–4): 195–208, doi:10.1007/BF01840359 .
- ^ Dolev, Danny; Klawe, Maria; Rodeh, Michael (1982), "An O(n log n) unidirectional distributed algorithm for extrema finding in a circle", Journal of Algorithms 3: 245–260, doi:10.1016/0196-6774(82)90023-2, http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~higham/Teaching/CPSC661/notes/dolev_klawe_rodeh.pdf .
- ^ Kahn, J.; Klawe, M.; Kleitman, D. (1983), "Traditional galleries require fewer watchmen", SIAM Journal on Algebraic and Discrete Methods 4 (2): 194–206, doi:10.1137/0604020 .
- ^ Inkpen, Kori; Upitis, Rena; Klawe, Maria; Lawry, Joan; Anderson, Ann; Ndunda, Mutindi; Sedighian, Kamran; Leroux, Steve et al. (1994), ""We Have Never-Forgetful Flowers In Our Garden:" Girls’ Responses To Electronic Games", Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, http://www.edgelab.ca/publications/jcmst94.pdf .
- ^ Inkpen, K.; Booth, K. S.; Klawe, M.; Upitis, R. (1995), "Playing together beats playing apart, especially for girls", Proceedings of CSCL, http://www.cs.ubc.ca/nest/imager/tr/1995/inkpen1995a/inkpen.1995a.pdf .
- ^ The Aphasia project web site.
- ^ Cook, Michelle (February 5, 2004), "UBC Project Makes Life Easier for Those Suffering Aphasia", UBC Reports 50 (2), http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/pdfs/ubcreports/UBC_Reports_2004_02_05.pdf .
- ^ Erdős Number Project
Presidents of Harvey Mudd CollegeJoseph Platt (1955–1976) • D. Kenneth Baker (1976–1988) • Henry E. Riggs (1988–1997) • Jon C. Strauss (1997–2006) • Maria Klawe (2006–present) Microsoft Board of directors Operating systems Desktop software Mobile software Server software Technologies Web propertiesWebsites
Gaming HardwareReleasedPrototypesDiscontinued Education
Licensing Conferences Criticism Litigation Acquisitions
- Altamira Software
- Blue Ribbon Soundworks
- Calista Technologies
- Consumers Software
- FASA Studio
- Fast Search & Transfer
- GIANT Company Software
- Groove Networks
- Lionhead Studios
- Massive Incorporated
- Skype Communications
- Tellme Networks
- Twisted Pixel Games
- Vermeer Technologies
- Visio Corporation
- WebTV Networks
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Microsoft — Coordinates: 47°38′22.55″N 122°7′42.42″W / … Wikipedia
Steve Ballmer — Ballmer in 2010. Born March 24, 1956 (1956 03 24) (age 55) Detroit, Michigan, U.S … Wikipedia
Microsoft Egypt — is a division of Microsoft which markets Microsoft products in Egypt. Contents 1 History 2 CMIC 3 Citizenship … Wikipedia
Liste de personnes par nombre d'Erdős — Voici une liste non exhaustive de personnes ayant un nombre d Erdős de 0, 1 ou 2. Sommaire 1 #0 2 #1 3 #2 4 Référence … Wikipédia en Français
Microsoft Algeria — مايكروسوفت الجزائر Type Private Industry Software and Information services Founded 2011 … Wikipedia
Shirley M. Tilghman — Infobox University President name =Shirley Marie Tilghman caption = order = university =President of Princeton University term start =2001 term end =present birth date =birth date|1946|9|17|mf=y birth place =Toronto, Ontario, Canada death date =… … Wikipedia
List of people by Erdős number — Paul Erdős was one of the most prolific writers of mathematical papers. He collaborated a great deal, having 511 joint authors, a number of whom also have many collaborators. The Erdős number measures the collaborative distance between an author… … Wikipedia
Mujeres en informática — Ada Lovelace. Primera mujer programadora de máquinas computadoras. La preocupación mundial sobre el papel actual y futuro de las mujeres en tareas de computación adquirió más importancia con la aparición de la era de la información. Estas… … Wikipedia Español
Active Directory — (AD) is a directory service created by Microsoft for Windows domain networks. It is included in most Windows Server operating systems. Server computers on which Active Directory is running are called domain controllers. Active Directory serves as … Wikipedia
Bill Gates — For other people named Bill Gates, see Bill Gates (disambiguation). Bill Gates … Wikipedia