- Contextual advertising
Internet marketing Affiliate marketing Search engine marketing Mobile advertising
Contextual advertising is a form of targeted advertising for advertisements appearing on websites or other media, such as content displayed in mobile browsers. The advertisements themselves are selected and served by automated systems based on the content displayed to the user.
How contextual advertising works
A contextual advertising system scans the text of a website for keywords and returns advertisements to the webpage based on what the user is viewing. The advertisements may be displayed on the webpage or as pop-up ads. For example, if the user is viewing a website pertaining to sports and that website uses contextual advertising, the user may see advertisements for sports-related companies, such as memorabilia dealers or ticket sellers. Contextual advertising is also used by search engines to display advertisements on their search results pages based on the keywords in the user's query.
Contextual advertising is a form of targeted advertising in which the content of an ad is in direct correlation to the content of the web page the user is viewing. For example, if you are visiting a website concerning travelling in Europe and see an ad pops up offering a special price on a flight to Italy, that’s contextual advertising. Contextual advertising is also called “In-Text” advertising or “In-Context” technology..
Apart from that when a visitor doesn't click on the ad in a go through time (a minimum time a user must click on the ad) the ad is automatically changed to next relevant ad showing the option below of going back to the previous ad.
Contextual advertising has made a major impact on earnings of many websites. Because the advertisements are more targeted, they are more likely to be clicked, thus generating revenue for the owner of the website (and the server of the advertisement). A large part of Google's earnings is from its share of the contextual advertisements served on the millions of webpages running the AdSense program.
Contextual advertising has attracted some controversy through the use of techniques such as third-party hyperlinking, where a third-party installs software onto a user's computer that interacts with the web browser. Keywords on a webpage are displayed as hyperlinks that lead to advertisers.
There are several advertising agencies that help brands understand how contextual advertising options affect their advertising plans. There are three main components to online advertising:
- creation — what the advertisement looks like
- media planning — where the advertisements are to be run
- media buying — how the advertisements are paid for
Contextual advertising replaces the media planning component. Instead of humans choosing placement options, that function is replaced with computers facilitating the placement across thousands of websites.
- Advertising Network
- Editorial-related advertising
- In-text advertising
- In-image advertising
- Semantic targeting
- ^ "Contextual Marketing Definition". http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=contextual+marketing&i=56351,00.asp. Retrieved 2008-07-21.
- ^ What is Contextual Advertising
- ^ "Proximic Signs Deals With Yahoo and eBay To Turn Product Listings Into Contextual Ads; Taking on AdSense". http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/15/proximic-signs-deals-with-yahoo-and-ebay-to-turn-product-listings-into-contextual-ads-taking-on-adsense/. Retrieved 2008-01-15.
- ^ a b "Customers Now", David Szetela, 2009[not specific enough to verify]
- Ferguson, Renee Boucher. "A Battle Is Brewing Over Online Behavioral Advertising". www.eweek.com. http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Applications/A-Battle-Is-Brewing-Over-Online-Behavioral-Advertising-Market/. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- Ostrow, Adam. "When Contextual Advertising Goes Horribly Wrong - Mashable". mashable.com. http://mashable.com/2008/06/19/contextual-advertising/. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "FTC Staff Proposes Online Behavioral Advertising Privacy Principles". www.ftc.gov. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/12/principles.shtm. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- "Steve Irwin’s Death : Contextual Advertising Gone Bad". www.shmula.com. http://www.shmula.com/194/steve-irwins-death-contextual-advertising-gone-bad. Retrieved 2008-10-20.
- Kenny, D. and Marshall, J. (November-December 2000). "Contextual Marketing: The Real Business of the Internet". Harvard Business Review. http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/2124.html. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Contextual — may refer to: Contextual advertising, advertisements based on other content displayed Contextual design, user centered design process developed by Hugh Beyer and Karen Holtzblatt Contextual inquiry, user centered design method, part of the… … Wikipedia
Advertising — This article is about the form of communication. For other uses, see Advertiser (disambiguation). Advert redirects here. For the band featuring musician Gaye Advert, see The Adverts. For content guidelines on the use of advertising in Wikipedia… … Wikipedia
Advertising network — An advertising network or ad network is a company that connects web sites that want to host advertisements with advertisers who want to run advertisements. Increasingly Ad networks are companies that pay software developers as well as web sites… … Wikipedia
Semantic advertising — applies semantic technologies to online advertising solutions. The function of semantic advertising technology is to semantically analyze every web page in order to properly understand and classify the meaning of a web page and accordingly ensure … Wikipedia
Editorial Related Advertising — is associated with the concept of Contextual Advertising but differs in its ability to match advertising to content in a much more specific manner. Where Contextual Advertising is keyword based, Editorial Related Advertising is able to also take… … Wikipedia
Search advertising — In Internet Marketing, Search Advertising is a method of placing online advertisements on Web pages that show results from search engine queries. Through the same search engine advertising services, ads can also be placed on Web pages with other… … Wikipedia
In-text advertising — is a form of contextual advertising where specific words within the text of a webpage are associated with advertising content.DescriptionAlthough contextual advertising in general refers to the inclusion of advertisements adjacent to relevant… … Wikipedia
Keyword advertising — refers to any advertising that is linked to specific words or phrases. Common forms of keyword advertising are known by many other terms including pay per click (PPC) and cost per action (CPA). There are multiple variations each starting with pay … Wikipedia
Social Advertising — has been around for years, contrary to this new definition given by Zuckerberg. It s about applying marketing and advertising principles to promote health and social issues and bringing about positive behavior change. It s what nonprofits and… … Wikipedia
Targeted advertising — is a type of advertising whereby advertisements are placed so as to reach consumers based on various traits such as demographics, purchase history, or observed behavior.Two principal forms of targeted interactive advertising are behavioral… … Wikipedia