- List of buzzwords
This is a list of common
buzzwords which form part of the business jargon of Corporate work environments.
* At the end of the day
* Break through the clutter [http://www.columbusalive.com/?sec=services&story=alive/2007/0201/l-buzz.html Columbus Alive: Buzz Kill] ]
Buzzword– the word itself is widely considered to be a buzzword.
* Disconnect – an error that could not have occurred intentionally
Diversity[http://media.www.dailycampus.com/media/storage/paper340/news/2004/02/19/Commentary/Diversity.More.Than.A.Buzz.Word-612609.shtml Diversity, more than a buzz word] , The Daily Campus, February 19, 2004]
Empowerment[http://www.buzzwhack.com/ BuzzWhack.com] ] [http://www.buzzwordhell.com/ Buzzword Hell] ]
* Face time
Globalization[http://www.psupress.psu.edu/Justataste/samplechapters/justatasteKitching.html Penn State University Press: Globalization: Buzzword or New Phenomenon?] ]
* Going Forward – as in "In the Future".
* Green – may qualify for a champion of buzzwords: green -energy, -building, -party, -march, -revolution, -politics, -computing, -technology, -vehicle, -highway, -cleaning, etc. Just a few from the Wikipedia. And, of course [http://www.lifegoggles.com/712/are-you-experiencing-green-fatigue/ "green fatigue"]
* Grow – as in "grow the business".
* Hit the ground running
Impact– instead of effectas a noun, or affectas a verb.
* Interflop – a dead website
* On the runway
* Organic growth
* Outside the boxcite news
url = http://www.business.mainetoday.com/smallbusiness/mmm/index.buzzwordpoll.shtml
title = Business buzzword hall of fame
Blethen Maine Newspapers
date = September 2002
accessdate = 2008-01-04]
Paradigm"The Buzzword Bingo Book: The Complete, Definitive Guide to the Underground Workplace Game of Doublespeak", author: Benjamin Yoskovitz, publisher: Villard, ISBN-13: 978-0375753480]
Paradigm shift[http://www.cnet.com/4520-11136_1-6275610-1.html Cnet.com's Top 10 Buzzwords] ]
* Sea change
* Spin-up [http://buzzwhack.com/buzzcomp/indsu.htm BuzzWhack, The Buzzword-Compliant Dictionary: S] ]
Wellness[http://www.asbj.com/wellness/S4.html American School Board Journal: Case Studies] ]
Business, sales and marketing
* Ballpark Figure
* Baste the Turkey - meaning to attend to a task that has been ignored for sometime
* Business-to-Business – also known as B2B.
* Business-to-Consumer – also known as B2C.
* Best of Breed
* Bizmeth – shortening of "business method".
* Boil the Ocean - meaning to take on a task with an overwhelming and impossible scope
Business Process Outsourcing[http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/4649.asp India Daily: The coming wave of Knowledge Process Outsourcing] ] [http://multichannelmerchant.com/opsandfulfillment/contact_center_advisor/BPO_adapt/ Multichannel Merchant: BPO Adaptability: Boardroom Buzzword or Competitive Advantage?] ] – also known as BPO.
Buzzword compliant[http://www.wordspy.com/words/buzzword-compliant.asp WordSpy: buzzword-compliant] ]
Co-opetition[http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3283/is_199704/ai_n7981850 FindArticles: Co-opetition: buzzword or serious IT strategy?] ]
* Drinking the Kool-Aid – refers to the
cyanide-laced Flavor Aidused by Jim Jonescult – means trusting in things offered by authority figures
* Eat their own dog food – also known simply as "dog food", meaning to use a product yourself which you sell to others.
Event horizon[http://www.wordspy.com/index/Business-Buzzwords.asp The WordSpy: Business buzzwords category] ]
* Free value
* Fulfilment issues
* Going forward (in the future)
* Herding cats
* Knowledge Process Outsourcing – also known as KPO.
Logistics[http://members.forbes.com/global/2007/0416/038.html Meeting the Halal Test] , Forbes Magazine] – Now commonly used for shipping, and shipping companies
* Logistically (i.e. "speaking logistically", "thinking logistically")
Long Tail[http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/27/debunking_long_tail_maths/ The Register: The Long Tail's maths begin to crumble] ]
* Low Hanging Fruit [http://www.wordspy.com/words/low-hangingfruit.asp WordSpy: Low-hanging fruit] ]
* Make it pop
* New economy
* Next generation
* Next level
* Offshoring – also known as Offshore outsourcing, or something being offshorable.
* Open kimono - meaning to be open and transparent in discussions
Return on Investment– also known as ROI.
* Reverse fulfilment
* Rich Media
* Rightshoring [http://www.gbwatch.com/?p=295 Global Business Watch: Rightshoring: The Latest Outsourcing Buzzword] ]
* Share options
* SOX – abbreviation of
* Touch Base
* Value-addedcite web
url = http://www.marketingtoday.com/personalbrandceo/0104/buzzwords_gone_bad.htm
title = Buzzwords Gone Bad
publisher = Marketing Today
accessdate = 2008-01-04
quote = The national poll includes responses from 150 senior executives -- including those from human resources, finance and marketing departments -- with the nation’s 1,000 largest companies.]
Science and technology
3G[http://whatis.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid9_gci1232452,00.html?track=sy400 Buzzword Alert: Top 20 IT Buzzwords of 2006] ]
Aggregator[http://www.pwgsc.gc.ca/onlineconsultation/text/glossary-e.html Online Consultation Centre of Expertise – Buzzword Glossary] ]
Benchmarking[http://www.allbusiness.com/manufacturing/fabricated-metal-product-manufacturing/603058-1.html AllBusiness: Benchmarking 101] ]
* Back-end [http://evolt.org/node/5281 Evolt: Buzzword Bingo] ]
* Bleeding edge
Blog– plus various other words that incorporate "blog"
* Bricks-and-clicks [http://evolt.org/node/5281 Evolt.org: Buzzword Bingo] ]
Client/server[http://www.upenn.edu/computing/printout/archive/v08/5/clinserv.html PennPrintOut – The University of Pennsylvania's Online Computing Magazine: Client/Server Computing] ]
* Collaboration [http://knowledgemanagement.ittoolbox.com/lp/ IT Toolbox: Knowledge Management Knowledge Base] ]
Content Management System– also known as CMS.
Convergence[http://www.convergenceculture.org/weblog/2007/01/the_convergence_manifesto_i_co.php Convergence Culture Consortium: The Convergence Manifesto I: Convergence--The Buzzword] ]
Design pattern[http://13thparallel.org/archive/coding-for-portability2/ Thirteenth Parallel: Coding For Portability, Part 2] ]
* Digital Remastering [http://www.scenta.co.uk/music/features.cfm?cit_id=1565207&FAArea1=customWidgets.content_view_1 Scenta Music Features: Remixing, remastering, rejuvenating] ]
Digital Rights Management– also known as DRM.
* Digital signage [http://digitalcontentproducer.com/digitalsign/depth/avinstall_digital_signage/ Digital Content Producer.com: Picture This: Digital Signage] ]
* E-learning [http://www.ikmagazine.com/xq/asp/sid.0/articleid.0EB60EA2-387D-4BD3-93AD-4438234AE293/qx/display.htm InsideKnowledge Magazine: The winning formula: A blended approach to cross-platform content] ]
Enterprise Content Management– also known as ECM.
* Enterprise Service Bus [http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid26_gci913058,00.html Enterprise Service Bus (ESB): Lasting concept or latest buzzword?] ] – also known as ESB.
Fuzzy logic[http://www.faqs.org/docs/fuzzy/ FAQs.org: Introduction to Fuzzy Logic and Fuzzy Control] ]
* Immersion [http://press.nokia.com/PR/200505/994772_5.html N-Gage At E3 Showcases Immersive Games And Next-Generation Mobile Gaming] ]
Information superhighway/ Information highway
Innovation[http://ecophilo.blogspot.com/2006/06/too-much-innovation.html interim thoughts...: Too much innovation ] ]
* Mobile [http://www.blonnet.com/life/2003/03/10/stories/2003031000090200.htm The Hindu Business Line : Mobile is the buzzword ] ]
Modularity[http://www.cogsci.umn.edu/OLD/calendar/past_events/millennium/files/1031095123.html University of Minnesota, Center for Cognitive Sciences: The modularity of mind] ] [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/11/sun_modular_storage/ The Register: Sun takes Storagetek modular] ]
Nanotechnology[http://www.pcedc.org/news/101604pph.html Piscataquis County Economic Development Council: UMaine opens state-of-the-art lab] ]
Next Generation(also "NextGen")
Scalability[http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/799 Zend Developer Zone: An Interview With George Schlossnagle] [http://oemagazine.com/fromtheMagazine/jan02/jpeg2000.html OE Magazine: The Sporty New JPEG Model] ]
* Social bookmarking
Struts[http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/11/02/what-is-struts.html OnJava: What Is Struts] ]
User generated content[http://www.personaldemocracy.com/node/1146 Personal Democracy Forum] ]
* Vortal [http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_46/b3707054.htm BusinessWeek Online: Vortal Combat: The Early Years] ]
* Wikiality [http://www.languagemonitor.com/ Global Language Monitor] ]
Workflow[http://www.commarts.com/ca/magazine/book/10061.html Communication Arts Magazine: Web ReDesign: Workflow that Works] ] [http://www.medsp.com/ehro/aboutehr/ehro_aboutehr.php Medical Strategic Planning: EHR Terminology] ]
Politics and current affairs
Information society[http://www.facetshop.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=453X&Category_Code=857 Facet Publishing: Challenge and Change in the Information Society] ]
Political capital[http://www.slate.com/id/2110256 Slate: What is "political capital", anyway?] ]
* Stakeholder [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/2295587.stm BBC News: Hard hat time for rail champion] ]
* Pork-barrel spending
* Best-in-class [http://www.buzzwhack.com/inside/buzz10phrases.htm BuzzWhack: 10 phrases] ]
* [http://www.investopedia.com/categories/buzzwords.asp Investopedia's List of Buzz Words]
* [http://www.languagemonitor.com Global Language Monitor's Lists of Political, High Tech, Youthful Jargon]
* [http://www.rhymer.net/buzzwords/biza.htm Rhymer.net's Directory of Business Jargon and Buzzwords]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of Georgia Institute of Technology alumni — [cite web|url=http://gtalumni.org/uploads/bylaws.pdf|title=Bylaws of the Georgia Tech Alumni Association, Inc.|publisher=Georgia Tech Alumni Association|accessdate=2007 05 03|format=PDF] The first class of 128 students entered Georgia Tech in… … Wikipedia
List of Dilbert characters — Contents 1 Primary characters 1.1 Dilbert 1.2 Pointy haired boss 1.3 Wally 1.4 Ted … Wikipedia
List of concepts in Artemis Fowl — This is a list of fictional concepts in Artemis Fowl, a novel series by Eoin Colfer. Contents 1 Fairy concepts 1.1 Bio bomb 1.2 Book of the People 1.3 Buzz baton … Wikipedia
Buzzword — For the Acrobat product, see Adobe Buzzword. A buzzword (also fashion word and vogue word) is a term of art, salesmanship, politics, or technical jargon that is used in the media and wider society outside of its originally narrow technical… … Wikipedia
Business speak — Business speak, also management speak refers to a particular syntax often used in large organizations. The tone is associated with managers of large corporations, business management consultants, and occasionally government. The term is typically … Wikipedia
Truthiness — is a term first used in its current satirical sense by American television comedian Stephen Colbert in 2005, to describe things that a person claims to know intuitively or from the gut without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination,… … Wikipedia
Tech Tower — The Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans Administration Building, commonly known as Tech Tower, is a historic building located at 225 North Avenue NW in Midtown Atlanta, Georgia, USA, and a focal point of the central campus of the Georgia Institute of… … Wikipedia
The Colbert Report — logo Genre Comedy, Satire, News parody … Wikipedia
Cessna — Aircraft Company Type Subsidiary Industry Aerospace Founded 1927 Headquart … Wikipedia
Georgia Institute of Technology — Infobox University name = Georgia Institute of Technology nickname = Yellow Jackets, Ramblin Wreck motto = Progress and Service established = October 13, 1885cite news| url=http://gtalumni.org/Publications/magazine/sum04/article1.html | title=A… … Wikipedia