- David Vernon (writer)
Vernon is the only son of Michael Vernon and Jeanette Vernon. He established two businesses while at University, Whiahwe Waiting Services that provided catering to diplomatic missions in Canberra, and MangoSoft, a software development house. He graduated from the Australian National University with qualifications in political science and economics in 1988. He subsequently obtained a Graduate Diploma in Law from University of Canberra and completed a Master of Environmental Science from Griffith University. He was editor of Argos, the Journal of the Canberra Skeptics from 1986 until 1991. He was assistant editor of the Australian Sinclair Gazette. He later became a contributor to the journal of the Australian Skeptics, The Skeptic. He writes occasional science articles for The Canberra Times and also writes short stories for adults and children.
He spent ten years working in the Australian Public Service, working in the Attorney-General's Department and the Environment Department before resigning in 2007. He was elected Chair of the Lyneham Primary School Board in 2008, a position which he currently holds and he was elected chair of the Gold Creek School in 2011.
He co-edited the book Skeptical - A handbook of pseudoscience and the paranormal in 1989 with Donald Laycock, Colin Groves and Simon Brown. In 2005 he released Having a Great Birth in Australia, which examined the culture of childbirth and pregnancy in Australia. In 2006 his book Men at Birth which chronicles men's experience of birth, was published. On 31 May 2007, With Women was released. He is currently working on The Hunt for Marasmus and a book about perinatal depression called Australians Talk - surviving perinatal depression.
On 13 December 2007 his book Men at Birth was awarded Best Non-Fiction Book for 2007 in the 2007 ACT Writing and Publishing Awards
He is married to Barbara Vernon with two children.
- Who's Who in Australia, Information Australia Group, 1997
- Lonely Beginnings for Fathers of the Revolution, Danielle Teutsch, Sun Herald, 26 March 2006, p76
- Who Let the Dads In? The Age, 30 April 2006
- Birth and Beyond, Birth Resources Centre, Edinburgh, April 2006, p20
- Men at Birth, radio interview with Richard Aedy, ABC National, Life Matters, 2 August 2006
- Rebirth of the Father Herald Sun, 1 Sept 2006
- Birth Rights for Men, Sydney Morning Herald, 28 Sept 2006
- ^ The Writers in Writer's Block #5, Australian National University, Oct 2007
- ^ The Hunt for Marasmus
- ^ Australians Talk - surviving perinatal depression
- ^ The Canberra Times, 14 Dec 2007, p9
- Skeptical - A handbook of pseudoscience and the paranormal, Don Laycock, David Vernon, Colin Groves, Simon Brown (eds), Imagecraft, Canberra, 1989 ISBN 0-7316-5794-2
- Having a Great Birth in Australia, Edited by David Vernon, Australian College of Midwives, Canberra, 2005, ISBN 0-9751674-3-X
- Men at Birth, Edited by David Vernon, Australian College of Midwives, Canberra, 2006, ISBN 0-9751674-4-8
- With Women, Edited by David Vernon, Australian College of Midwives, Canberra, 2007, ISBN 978-0-9751674-5-8
- The Umbrella's Shade and other award winning stories from the Stringybark Short Story Award, Edited by David Vernon, Stringybark Publishing, Canberra, 2011, ISBN 978-0-9870922-0-1
- Men at Birth 2nd Edition, Edited by David Vernon, Finch Publishing, Sydney, 2011, ISBN 9781921462238
- Between Heaven and Hell and other award winning stories from the Stringybark Flash Fiction Award, Edited by David Vernon, Stringybark Publishing, Canberra, 2011, ISBN 978-0-98709-2229
- Our Name Wasn't Written - A Malta Memoir - 1936-1943, by Caroline Vernon, Edited by David Vernon, Stringybark Publishing, Canberra, 2011, ISBN 978-0-98709-22-2-1
- A Visit from the Duchess - and other award winning stories from the Stringybark Speculative Fiction Award. Edited by David Vernon, Stringybark Publishing, Canberra, 2011, ISBN 978-0-9870922-4-3
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
David Vernon — is the name of: David Vernon (professor), professor at the University of Genoa, Italy David Vernon (writer) (born 1965), Australian writer This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same personal name. If an … Wikipedia
David Williams — may refer to: Contents 1 Musicians 2 Politicians 3 Sportspeople … Wikipedia
Vernon (surname) — Vernon is a surname, from a masculine name that is derived from the Gaul word vern for Alder tree (also springlike, flourishing, or full of life) and a Gaulish latin suffix indicating a location. Thus Vernon is a place of alders . Variants… … Wikipedia
David Ben — in Tricks 2004 Born March 5, 1961 (1961 03 05) (age 50) Toronto, Canada Nationality … Wikipedia
David Chase — Born David DeCesare August 22, 1945 (1945 08 22) (age 66) Mount Vernon, New York, United States Occupation Screenwriter, director, producer Spouse … Wikipedia
David Odell — is a screenwriter and film director. He was nominated in 1980 for an Emmy for Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program for The Muppet Show alongside Jim Henson, Don Hinkley, and Jerry Juhl. He won the award the following year with co… … Wikipedia
David Letterman — Letterman performing on his show in June 2011. Pseudonym Earl Hofert Born April 12, 1947 (1947 04 12) … Wikipedia
Vernon Watkins — (June 27, 1906 mdash; October 8, 1967), was a Welsh poet, and a painter.Family history and upbringingVernon was born in Maesteg in Glamorgan, and brought up mainly in Swansea. His birth coincided with slight earth tremors; another baby born that… … Wikipedia
David S. Weiss — is an American comedy writer. He has written for Dennis Miller Live, CNBC s Dennis Miller , The Late, Late Show with Craig Kilborn, and Penn Teller: Bullshit!. In 2005, he ran unsuccessfully for the Writers Guild of America board of directors.… … Wikipedia
David Feldman (comedian) — David Feldman Occupation Comedian, comedy writer Website www.davidfeldmancomedy.com David Feldman is an American comedy writer and performer. He has written for Roseanne, Dennis Miller Live, Real Time with B … Wikipedia