- Henry Hazlitt
color = #B0C4DE
name = Henry Hazlitt
birth = birth date|1894|11|28
death = Death date and age|1993|7|8|1894|11|28
Henry Hazlitt (
November 28, 1894– July 8, 1993) was a libertarian philosopher, economist, [Greaves, Bettina Bien. "Henry Hazlitt: A Man for Many Seasons." "The Freeman". Foundation for Economic Education. November 1989. [http://www.fee.org/publications/the-freeman/article.asp?aid=3264] ] and journalistfor The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Newsweek, and The American Mercury, among other publications.
In childhood his family's finances were meager, his father having died when Henry was an infant, and he left college after a year and a half to become a journalist. He was credited with bringing Austrian economics to an English-speaking audience. Hazlitt was a prolific writer, authoring some 25 books in his lifetime. [Ludwig von Mises Institute, "Henry Hazlitt: A Giant of Liberty", pp. 20-27]
Hazlitt is well-known for his book "
Economics in One Lesson", but he also wrote other books, among which are a major work on ethics, " The Foundations of Morality", and " The Failure of the New Economics", a detailed chapter-by-chapter critique of Keynes's "General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money" (of which he paraphrased a quote attributed to Samuel Johnsonthat he was "unable to find in it a single doctrine that is both true and original. What is original in the book is not true; and what is true is not original." In the preface to the "General Theory", Keynes had written: "Those who are strongly wedded to what I shall call 'the classical theory', will fluctuate, I expect, between a belief that I am quite wrong and a belief that I am saying nothing new. It is for others to determine if either of these or the third alternative is right.")
Hazlitt was the founding vice-president of the
Foundation for Economic Educationand an early editor of " The Freeman" magazine.
From 1997 to 2002 there was an organization called The Henry Hazlitt Foundation which actively promoted libertarian networking online, especially through its website Free-Market.Net. This organization was named in honor of Hazlitt because he was known for introducing a wide range of people to libertarian ideas through his writing and for helping free-market advocates connect with each other. For example, he introduced Ayn Rand to free-market circles in New York, and secured a position at New York University for
Ludwig von Mises. It is important to note that the foundation was started after Hazlitt's passing and had no official connection with his estate.
* " [http://mises.org/books/thinking.pdf Thinking as a Science] ", 1915
* " [http://mises.org/books/willpower.pdf The Way to Will Power] ", 1922
* "A Practical Program for America", 1933
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/anatomy.pdf The Anatomy of Criticism] ", 1933
* "Instead of Dictatorship", 1933
* "A New Constitution Now", 1942
* "Freedom in America: The Freeman" (with
Virgil Jordan), 1945
* "The Full Employment Bill: An Analysis", 1945
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/onelesson.pdf Economics in One Lesson] ", 1946
* " [http://www.hacer.org/pdf/Hazlitt01.pdf Economics in One Lesson (Spanish)] ", 1946
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/dollarssave.pdf Will Dollars Save the World?] ", 1947
* "Forum: Do Current Events Indicate Greater Government Regulation, Nationalization, or Socialization?, Proceedings from a Conference Sponsored by The Economic and Business Foundation", 1948
* "The Illusions of Point Four", 1950
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/time.pdf The Great Idea] ", 1951 (titled "Time Will Run Back" in Britain, revised and rereleased with this title in 1966)
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/freemanslibrary.pdf The Free Man's Library] ", 1956
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/failureofneweconomics.pdf The Failure of the 'New Economics': An Analysis of the Keynesian Fallacies] ", 1959
* "The Critics of Keynesian Economics (ed.)", 1960
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/inflation.pdf What You Should Know About Inflation] ", 1960
* "The Foundations of Morality", 1964
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/manwelfarestate.pdf Man vs. The Welfare State] ", 1969
* " [http://www.mises.org/books/conquest.pdf The Conquest of Poverty] ", 1973
* "To Stop Inflation, Return to Gold", 1974
* "The Inflation Crisis and How to Resolve It", 1978
* "From Bretton Woods to World Inflation", 1984
* "The Wisdom of the Stoics: Selections from Seneca, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius", 1984
* " [http://web.archive.org/web/20020810181153/www.hazlitt.org/e-texts/wisdom/ The Wisdom of Henry Hazlitt] ", 1993
* "Henry Hazlitt: A Giant of Liberty."
Ludwig von Mises Institute. 1994. ISBN 0-945466-16-1.
See [http://www.mises.org/hazlitt/hazlittbib.asp Bibliography of Henry Hazlitt] for complete list.
* [http://dmoz.org/Science/Social_Sciences/Economics/Schools_of_Thought/Austrian_School/People/Hazlitt,_Henry/ Directory from the Open Directory Project]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Henry Hazlitt — Nacimiento 1894 … Wikipedia Español
Henry Hazlitt — (28 novembre 1894 8 juillet 1993) est un philosophe, essayiste, et journaliste libertarien américain. Journaliste au Wall Street Journal, à Newsweek et au New York Times, il s est fait connaître grâce à son livre l Économie en … Wikipédia en Français
Hazlitt — may refer to:* Hazlitt Theatre, one of the main theatres in Maidstone, Kent * Seth Hazlitt, a fictional characterPeople named Hazlitt:* Frederick Hazlitt Brennan (1901 1962), American screenwriter * Gerry Hazlitt (1888 1915), Australian cricketer … Wikipedia
Henry Theodore Tuckerman — (um 1860) Henry Theodore Tuckerman (* 20. April 1813 in Boston; † 17. Dezember 1871 in New York) war ein amerikanischer Schriftsteller, Dichter, Literatur und Kunstkritiker … Deutsch Wikipedia
Charles Hazlitt Cahan — C.P., C.R. (31 octobre 1861 15 août 1944) est un avocat, rédacteur en chef et homme politique fédéral du Québec et provincial de la Nouvelle Écosse. Né à Hebron en Nouvelle Écosse, M. Cahan est né d une famille à forte origine irlandaise et… … Wikipédia en Français
Хэзлитт, Генри — Генри Хэзлитт Henry Hazlitt Дата рождения: 28 ноября 1894(1894 11 28) Место рождения … Википедия
Ludwig von Mises — Ludwig Heinrich Edler von Mises Austrian School Born 29 September 1881(1881 09 29) Lemberg … Wikipedia
Murray Rothbard — Murray Newton Rothbard Rothbard circa 1994 Full name Murray Newton Rothbard Born March 2, 1926(1926 03 02) Bronx, New York, United States Died … Wikipedia
John Maynard Keynes — Keynes redirects here. For other uses, see Keynes (disambiguation). John Maynard Keynes Keynesian economics John Maynard Keynes Born … Wikipedia
Benjamin Anderson — Early life and educationBenjamin Anderson was born in Columbia, Missouri to Benjamin McLean Anderson, a businessman and a politician. When he was sixteen years old, Anderson enrolled in classes at the University of Missouri in his hometown and… … Wikipedia