- List of cities in Australia
- 1 Australian Capital Territory
- 2 New South Wales
- 3 Northern Territory
- 4 Queensland
- 5 South Australia
- 6 Tasmania
- 7 Victoria
- 8 Western Australia
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Since 1993, only Local Government Areas in New South Wales can be declared as "cities" by the Government, under the Local Government Act 1993. Although the present version of the Act specifies no criteria for city status, a previous version of the Act specified that to be a city, a Council area must:
- (a) have a population of at least 25,000 persons and be an independent centre of population; not being a suburb, whether residential, industrial, commercial or maritime, of any other council area or centre of population; or
- (b) have a population of at least 150,000, and have a distinct character and entity as a centre of population beyond what would normally be regarded as being of local or suburban significance only; or
- (c) satisfy the criteria specified in paragraphs (a) or (b) apart from the population criteria, and be a homogenous centre of importance as a focus of regional commercial, governmental or cultural activity beyond that which would normally be regarded as local, suburban, or subsidiary to another nearby centre.
New South Wales, therefore, has two types of "city": cities that are acknowledged on the register of the Geographical Names Board of New South Wales, and Local Government Areas that have been proclaimed as cities but are not acknowledged on the Geographical Names Register.
Cities acknowledged on the NSW Geographical Names Register
* - City within the Sydney metropolitan area
Cities not acknowledged on the NSW Geographical Names Register
This list includes Local Government Areas inside the Sydney metropolitan area but excludes cities also acknowledged on the Geographical Names Register.
* - LGA within the Sydney metropolitan area
* - Not contained within Brisbane City Council boundaries, but part of the Greater Brisbane conurbation.
Other towns or suburban areas whose local government was accorded City status (including those since amalgamated) include:
- Hobart (Capital), which consists of the conurbation of the City of Clarence, City of Hobart, and the City of Glenorchy
* - City within the Melbourne metropolitan area
* - City within the Perth metropolitan area
Local government areas with city status not listed above, all of which lie within Perth's metropolitan area, include:
- ^ Local Government Act 1993, Chapter 9 - "How are Councils Established?". Accessed via AUSTLII on 26 April 2007.
- ^ Robert Harrison MLA, Private Members' Statement: Proposed Shellharbour City, New South Wales Legislative Assembly, Hansard, 23 November 1995, p. 3960. Accessed 26 April 2007.
- ^ Garry West MLA, Questions on Notice: Hastings Council Name Change, New South Wales Legislative Assembly, Hansard, 19 November 1993, pp. 6008-9. Accessed 26 April 2007.
- ^ a b "Geographical Names Register Extract: List of placenames acknowledged as a CITY" (.CSV). Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/name_search?transaction=savefile&placename=&status=&designation=CITY&lga=None&map=&parish=. Retrieved 31 August 2008.
- ^ "History of Griffith". Griffith City Council. http://www.griffith.nsw.gov.au/page/PagePrint.asp?Page_Id=620. Retrieved 19 August 2008.
List of cities in Oceania Sovereign states Dependencies and
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of cities in Australia by population — This list of Australian cities by population briefly explains the three different population figures given for Australian cities, and provides rankings for each. Contents 1 Capital city Statistical Divisions and Statistical Districts by… … Wikipedia
List of mountains in Australia — This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it. See also: List of mountains: Australia. This is a list of mountains in Australia. These are some of the highest mountains in Australia Contents 1 Highest point in each State/Territory … Wikipedia
List of cities in the People's Republic of China by population — For Urban Area, see List of cities in the People s Republic of China by urban population. This list ranks cities in the People s Republic of China (PRC), including Hong Kong and Macau, by population. According to the administrative divisions of… … Wikipedia
List of cities in South Korea by population — This article lists the cities of South Korea by population.The cities with blanked 2000 ranks and populations were founded after 2000. Source: [http://ko.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%EB%8C%80%ED%95%9C%EB%AF%BC%EA%B5%AD%EC%9D%98… … Wikipedia
List of cities in South Australia by population — This list of South Australian cities by Urban Centre population. 10 largest Urban Centres by populationUrban Centres are defined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics as being a population cluster of 1,000 or more people. For statistical… … Wikipedia
List of cities by latitude — The following is a list of cities by latitude. Both the latitude and longitude are shown for all cities and sorted by latitude started from the North Pole down to the South Pole. Each heading should be considered the exact value. This means that… … Wikipedia
List of cities by surface area — This is a non exhaustive list of the world s largest cities in terms of the surface area of their municipalities. This list is limited to clear, unambiguously defined political jurisdictions which (in their own language) identify themselves as… … Wikipedia
List of cities by time of continuous habitation — This is a list of present day cities by the time period over which they have been continuously inhabited. The age claims listed are generally disputed and may indeed be obsolete. Differences in opinion can result from different definitions of… … Wikipedia
List of cities with most skyscrapers — This list of cities with most skyscrapers ranks cities around the world by their number of buildings higher than various thresholds, complementing the list of cities with the most high rise buildings, which uses a 35m cutoff. Contents 1 Cities… … Wikipedia
List of cities in New Zealand — A map showing many major cities and towns of New Zealand. After the local government reforms of 1989, the term city began to take on two meanings in New Zealand. Before 1989, a borough council with more than 20,000 people could be proclaimed a… … Wikipedia