- Squirmer (BEAM)
In BEAM robotics, a squirmer is a stationary
robotthat performs an interesting action (usually by moving some sort of limbs or appendages).
* Magbots: Utilize magnetic fields for their mode of animation.
* Flagwavers: Move a display (or "flag") around at a certain frequency.
* Heads: Pivot and follow some detectable phenonomena, such as a light (These are popular in the BEAM community. They can be stand-alone robots, but are more often incorporated into a larger robot.).
* Vibrators: Use a small pager motor with an offcenter weight to shake themselves about.
* Seale, Eric, " [http://www.solarbotics.net/bestiary/1200_squirmer.html Squirmers] ". The EncycloBEAMia, 2003.
* Seale, Eric, " [http://www.solarbotics.net/bestiary/1230_head.html Heads] ". The EncycloBEAMia, 2003.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Topic outline of robotics — Robotics is the science and technology of designing, making, and applying robots, including theory from many contributing fields. A robot is a mechanical or virtual, artificial . It is usually an electromechanical system, which, by its appearance … Wikipedia