<< October >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 2011
October (listen) (help·info) is the tenth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars and one of seven months with a length of 31 days. The eighth month in the old Roman calendar, October retained its name (from the Latin "octo" meaning "eight") after January and February were inserted into the calendar that had originally been created by the Romans.
October is commonly associated with the season of autumn in the Northern hemisphere and spring in the Southern hemisphere, where it is the seasonal equivalent to April in the Northern hemisphere and vice versa.
In common years January starts on the same day of the week as October, but no other month starts on the same day of the week as October in leap years. October ends on the same day of the week as February every year and January in common years only. In leap years, October starts on the same day as August of the previous year.
October events and holidays
- National Fire Prevention Week (United States and Canada) - October 3–9
- Children's Book Week (England) – First Week of October
- National Day (China, People's Republic of) – October 1
- Dashain in Nepal
- Independence Day in the Republic Of Cyprus – October 1
- Independence Day in Nigeria – October 1
- Gandhi Jayanthi in India. Birthday of Mahathma Gandhi. - October 2
- International Day of Non-Violence – October 2
- German Unity Day (Germany) – October 3
- Proclamation of Portuguese Republic (Portugal) – October 5
- International World Teachers' day – October 5
- Armed Forces Day in Egypt commemorating the Yom Kippur War – October 6
- Independence day in Croatia – October 8
- Clergy Appreciation day - October 9
- National Children Appreciation Day - October 9th
- Leif Erikson Day - October 9
- Columbus Day (United Sates) - October 10
- National Day (Taiwan，ROC) – October 10
- National Coming Out Day – October 11
- Freethought Day – October 12
- National Day of Spain – October 12 (Discovery of America)
- Thanksgiving (Canada) – Second Monday of October
- Health and Sports Day (Japan) – Second Monday of October
- Columbus Day (Most of United States) – Second Monday of October
- Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day - October 15
- World Food Day – October 16
- Alaska Day - October 18
- Constitution Day in Niue – October 19
- Spirit Day - October 20
- Apple Day – October 21
- Remembering the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 – October 23
- United Nations Day – October 24
- Day of the Romanian Army – October 25
- National Day of Austria - October 26
- Independence Day in St. Vincent & the Grenadines – October 27
- Independence Day in Turkmenistan – October 27
- Navy Day (United States) – October 27
- Ochi Day (No Day) in Greece – October 28
- Birth of Dundee Arbuis Mondares Prince of Cebu - October 30
- Republic Day in Turkey – October 29
- Reformation Day in Slovenia - October 31
- Halloween, Samhain – October 31
- National Pork Month (United States) 
- Clergy Appreciation Month (United States)
- Pregnancy Loss and Infant Loss Awareness Month (United States)
- Filipino American History Month (in United States)
- Black History Month (in United Kingdom)
- National Arts & Humanities Month (in United States)
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender History Month (LGBT History Month) (in United States)
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month (in United States)
- Fair Trade Month
- Dwarfism Awareness Month
- Auto Battery Safety Month
- German American Heritage Month (September 15 to October 15 in the United States)
- National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15 to October 15 in the United States)
- Italian American Heritage Month: Italian Heritage and Culture Month 
- Polish American Heritage Month
- Celiac Sprue Awareness Month
- Health Literacy Month *
- Healthy Lung Month
- National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (in United States and Canada)
- National Dental Hygiene Month (in United States)
- National Down Syndrome Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Infertility Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Domestic Violence Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Lupus Erythematosus Awareness Month (in United States)
- National Physical Therapy Month (in United States)
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month (in United States)
- Rett Syndrome Awareness Month (in United States)
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Awareness Month (in United States) 
- World Blindness Awareness Month
- American Pharmacist Month 
- Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month 
- 3D Ultrasound Awareness Month 
- The month October has become famous as "Red October", due to the Russian October revolution of 1917, although in the modern Gregorian calendar, the revolution started in November.
- The last week in October is the only time of the year when all four major North American Sports league schedule games - the NBA generally starts in that last week while the MLB postseason is just ending.
- In the 19th century, the month of October was dedicated to the devotion of the rosary in Roman Catholic countries.
- Slavs call it "yellow month", from the fading of the leaf; to the Anglo-Saxons it was known as Winterfylleth, because at this full moon (fylleth) winter was supposed to begin.
- Eric Whitacre composed a piece based on this month, titled October.
- Mental Illness Awareness Week
- Neil Gaiman wrote a story personifying the month in his collection Fragile Things entitled October in the Chair.
- Ray Bradbury published a collection of short stories titled The October Country in 1955.
- October's birthstone is the opal. It is said that the opal will crack if it is worn by someone who was not born in October.
- Its birth flower is the calendula.
- The Zodiac sign for those born in this month is either Libra or Scorpio, depending on which day you were born.
- ^ Chaudhury, Nilova. "October 2 is global non-violence day", hindustantimes.com, Hindustan Times, 15 June 2007. Retrieved on 2007-06-15
- ^ "October is National Pork Month". ThePigSite. 2007-10-02. http://www.thepigsite.com/swinenews/15806/octobers-national-pork-month.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "Fairtrademonth.Org". Fairtrademonth.Org. http://www.fairtrademonth.org/. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ Staff Writer. "ancestry.com". ancestry.com. http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article.aspx?article=1048. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Italian Heritage and Culture Month". Italyculturemonth.org. http://www.italyculturemonth.org/about.htm. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "Polish American Center". Polish American Center. http://www.polishamericancenter.org/heritmo.htm. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ Celiac Awareness Month[dead link]
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "National Breast Cancer Awareness Month generating awareness". http://nbcam.org/newsroom_nbcam_facts.cfm. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- ^ "ADHA – October is National Dental Hygiene Month". Adha.org. http://www.adha.org/ndhm/. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ National Down Syndrome Society – October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month[dead link]
- ^ "Observing Infertility Awareness Month". Library.adoption.com. http://library.adoption.com/resources-and-information/observing-infertility-awareness-month/article/574/1.html. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "The Domestic Violence Awareness Month". Nrcdv.org. http://www.nrcdv.org/dvam. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ APTA | National Physical Therapy Month[dead link]
- ^ by: %user_screen_name% %time%. "Spina Bifida Association – Spina Bifida Association". Sbaa.org. http://www.sbaa.org/site/c.gpILKXOEJqG/b.2016945/k.2321/Spina_Bifida_Association_Web_site.htm. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "American Pharmacists Month 2011". Pharmacist.com. http://www.pharmacist.com/aphm. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ http://www.ardms.org/default.asp?contentID=872
- ^ "October is 3D Ultrasound Awareness Month « First Peek Ultrasound Blog". Oakparkultrasound.com. 2010-10-19. http://oakparkultrasound.com/blog/2010/10/october-is-3d-ultrasound-awareness-month. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ^ "SparkNotes: The October Revolution" (timeline), SparkNotes LLC, 2006, webpage: SN-5: accessed 2007-01-28.
- ^ Chisholm, Hugh, ed (1911). "October". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- ^ SHG Resources. "Birth Months, Flowers, and Gemstones". SHG Resources. http://www.shgresources.com/gems/birthflowers/. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
Months and days of the year January February March April May June July August September October November December Related dates
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
October 8 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia
October 22 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia
October 15 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia
October 25 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia
October — Álbum de U2 Publicación 16 de octubre de 1981 Grabación Windmill Lane Studios, Dublín, Irlanda, Julio Agosto de 1981 Género(s) … Wikipedia Español
October 1 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa … Wikipedia
October 31 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia
October 4 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia
October 16 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia
October 23 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia
October 28 — << October 2011 >> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 … Wikipedia