- Bury St Edmunds
Infobox UK place
country = England
latitude = 52.2474
longitude = 0.7183
official_name = Bury St Edmunds
population = 35,015 [
United Kingdom Census 2001]
shire_district = St Edmundsbury
region = East of England
constituency_westminster = Bury St Edmunds
post_town = BURY ST EDMUNDS
postcode_district = IP28–IP33
postcode_area = IP
dial_code = 01284
os_grid_reference = TL855645
Bury St Edmunds is a town in the county of
Suffolk, England and formerly the county townof West Suffolk. It is the seat of the East of England Regional Assembly. It is the main town in the borough of St Edmundsbury and known for the ruined abbeynear the town centre. The town is associated with Magna Carta; in 1214 the barons of England are believed to have met in the Abbey Church and swore to force King John to accept the Charter of Liberties, the document which influenced the creation of the Magna Carta. Parliaments were held in the town 1272, 1296 and 1446, but the borough was not represented until 1608, when James I. conferred the privilege of sending two members.  It was also the setting for two witch trials, the first under the direction of the Witchfinder Generalcite book | last =Notestein | first =Wallace | title =A History of Witchcraft In England from 1558 to 1718 | publisher =American Historical Association 1911 (reissued 1965) New York Russell & Russell | date =1911 | location =New York | isbn =L.C. Catalogue Card No: 65-18824] cite book | last =Geis | first =Gilbert | coauthors = Bunn Ivan.; …| title ="A Trial of Witches: A Seventeenth-century Witchcraft Prosecution." | publisher =Routledge | date =1997 | location =New York | ISBN 0415171091] the second used as a reference in the Salem Witch Trialsof 1692 and 1693.cite book | last =Jensen | first =Gary F. | title ="The Path of the Devil: Early Modern Witch Hunts." | publisher =Rowman & Littlefield | date =2006 | location =Lanham | ISBN 0742546977 ] [cite web | last = Bunn | first = Ivan | title = The Lowestoft Witches | url=http://www.lowestoftwitches.com/index.htm | accessdate = 2007-12-15 ] During the Second World War, the USAAF operated an airfield outside the town. [cite web
work = St Edmundsbury Borough Council
title = America in Suffolk
url = http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/visit/suffolk-america.cfm
accessdate = 2007-12-30 ] The Hereditary
High Stewardof the Liberty of St Edmund is the Marquess of Bristol.
Bury St Edmunds (Beodricesworth, St Edmund's Bury), supposed by some to have been the "
Villa Faustina" of the Romans, was one of the royal towns of the Saxons. Sigebert, king of theEast Angles, founded a monasteryhere about 633, which in 903 became the burial place of King Edmund, who was slain by the Danesabout 870, and owed most of its early celebrity to the reputed miracles performed at the shrine of the martyr king. By 925 the fame of St Edmund had spread far and wide, and the name of the town was changed to St Edmund's Bury. Sweyn, in 1020, having destroyed the older monastery and ejected the secular priests, built a Benedictineabbey on its site. In 942 or 945 King Edmund had granted to the abbotand conventjurisdiction over the whole town, free from all secular services, and Canute in 1020 freed it from episcopal control. Edward the Confessormade the abbot lord of the franchise. By various grants from the abbots, the town gradually attained the rank of a borough. Henry III in 1235 granted to the abbot two annual fairs, one in December(which still survives), the other the great St Matthew's fair, which was abolished by the Fairs Act of 1871. Another fair was granted by Henry IV in 1405. Elizabeth Iin 1562 confirmed the charters which former kings had granted to the abbots, and James I in 1606 granted a charter of incorporation with an annual fair in Easterweek and a market. Further charters were granted by him in 1608 and 1614, and by Charles II in 1668 and 1684. The reversion of the fairs and two markets on Wednesday and Saturday were granted by James I in fee farm to the corporation. Parliaments were held here in 1272, 1296 and 1446, but the borough was not represented until 1608, when James I conferred the privilege of sending two members. The Redistribution of Seats Act 1885reduced the representation to one. There was formerly a large woollen trade.
3 March, 1974a Turkish Airlines DC10jet Flight 981 crashed near Pariskilling all 346 people on board. Among the victims were 17 members of Bury St Edmunds rugby club, returning from France. [cite web
title=On This Day, 3 March — 1974: Turkish jet crashes killing 345
BBC News Online
accessdate=2008-07-24] The town council election on
3 May 2007was won by the "Abolish Bury Town Council" party. [cite web
last = Thewlis
first = Jo
Bury Free Press
title = Uproar at town council meeting
accessdate = 2008-01-14 ] The party lost its majority following a
by-electionin June 2007 and, to date, the Town Council is still in existence. [cite web
last = Marais
first = Kirsty
Bury Free Press
title = Plug pulled on displays
accessdate = 2008-01-14 ]
Near the gardens stands Britain's first internally illuminated street sign, the
pillar of salt. When built, it needed permission because it did not conform to regulations. Bury St Edmunds is terminus of the A1101, Great Britain's lowest road.
There is a network of tunnels which are evidence of
chalk-workings, [cite web
url = http://www.english-nature.org.uk/citation/citation_photo/1003555.pdf
title = The Glen Chalk Caves, Bury St Edmunds
accessdate = 2008-01-22] though there is no evidence of an extensive tunnels under the town centre. Some buildings have inter-communicating cellars. Due to their unsafe nature the chalk-workings are not open to the public, although viewing has been granted to individuals. Some have caused
subsidencein living history.
Among noteworthy buildings is St Mary's Church, where
Mary Tudor, Queen of Franceand sister of Tudor king Henry VIII, was re-buried, six years after her death, having been moved from the Abbey after her brother's dissolution of the Church. Queen Victoriahad a stained glass windowfitted into the church to commemorate Mary's interment. [cite web
last = Knott
first = Simon
title = Suffolk Churches
accessdate = 2007-12-30 ]
The name "
borough" is an etymologicalderivative of "Bury", which has cognates in other Germanic languages such as the Old Norse "borg" meaning "wall, castle"; and Gothic "baurgs" meaning "city". They all derive from Proto-Germanic "*burgs" meaning "fortress". This in turn derives from the Proto-Indo-European root "*bhrgh" meaning "fortified elevation", with cognates including Welsh "bera", "stack" and Sanskritbhrant- "high, elevated building".
The second section of the name refers to King Edmund of
East Angliawho was killed by the vikings in the year 869. He became venerated as a saint and a martyr, and his shrine made Bury St Edmunds an important place of pilgrimage.
In the centre of Bury St Edmunds lies the remains of an
abbey, surrounded by the Abbey Gardens, a park. The abbey is a shrineto Saint Edmund, the Saxon King of the East Angles, who was killed by the Danes in AD 869. The town grew around Bury St Edmunds Abbey, a site of pilgrimage, and developed into a flourishing cloth-making town by the 14th century.
The abbey was largely destroyed during the 16th century with the
Dissolution of the Monasteriesbut Bury remained prosperous throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, falling into relative decline with the Industrial Revolution.
The Abbey Gardens surrounding the ruins had an
Internetbench installed in the late 1990s, which people can use to connect laptops to the Internet. It was the first bench of its kind. Within the first week two teenagers discovered they could also make free telephone calls from the bench. They phoned the Borough Council(owner of the bench) to notify them, then attempted to contact Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, to tell him. [cite web
BBC News Online
title = Bad start for internet bench
9 August 2001
url = http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1481783.stm
accessdate = 2007-12-30 ]
Bury St Edmunds Cathedralwas created when the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswichwas formed in 1914. The cathedral was extended with an eastern end in the 1960s, commemorated by Benjamin Britten's " Fanfare for St Edmundsbury". A new Gothic revivalcathedral tower was built as part of a millennium project running from 2000 to 2005. The opening for the tower took place in July 2005, and included a brass bandconcert and fireworks. Parts of the cathedral remain uncompleted, including the cloisters. Many areas remain inaccessible to the public due to building work. The tower makes St Edmundsbury the only recently completed Anglican cathedral in the UK. Only a handful of Gothic revival cathedrals are being built worldwide. The tower was constructed using original fabrication techniques by six masons who placed the machine–pre-cut stone individually as they arrived.
Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmundswas built by National Gallery architect William Wilkins in 1819. It is the sole surviving Regency Theatre in the country . The theatre, owned by the National Trust underwent restoration between 2005 and 2007. Appeal patron Dame Judi Dench: cquote|The Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds holds a unique place in the history of theatre in this country as well as a special place in my heart. The restoration of one of the last Georgian theatres in the country will ensure a vital part of our theatrical heritage will survive for future generations.It presents a full programme of performances and is also open for public tours.
Moyse's Hall Museum is one of the oldest (c. 1180) domestic buildings in East Anglia open to the public. It has collections of fine art, for example
Mary Beale, costume, e.g. Charles Frederick Worth, horology, local and social history; including Red Barn Murderand Witchcraft. [cite web
work = St Edmundsbury Borough Council
title = Moyse's Hall Museum
accessdate = 2007-12-30 ]
The town holds a festival in May. This including concerts, plays, dance, and lecturers culminating in fireworks. Bury St Edmunds is home to England's oldest Scout group, 1st Bury St Edmunds (Mayors Own).
The town's football club, Bury Town, are the fourth oldest
non-leagueteam in England. [cite web | url=http://www.burytownfc.co.uk/col.asp?cid=38 | title=History of Bury Town Football Club | work= Bury Town F.C.| accessdate=2008-03-17] They are members of the Southern Football League Division One Midlands.
The UK's largest British-owned brewery,
Greene King, is situated in Bury, as is the smaller Old Cannon Brewery. Just outside the town, on the site of RAF Bury St Edmunds, is Bartrums Brewery, originally based in Thurston.
Another beer-related landmark is Britain's smallest
public house, The Nutshell, which is on The Traverse, just off the marketplace.
Bury's largest landmark is the British Sugar factory near the A14, which processes
sugar beetinto refined crystal sugar. It was built in 1925 and processes beet from 1,300 growers. 660 lorry-loads of beet can be accepted each day when beet is being harvested. Not all the beet can be crystallised immediately, and some is kept in solution in holding tanks until late spring and early summer, when the plant has spare crystallising capacity. The sugar is sold under the Silver Spoonname (the other major British brand, Tate & Lyle, is made from imported sugar cane). By-products include molassed sugar beet feed for cattle and LimeX70, a soil improver. A smell of burnt starch from the plant is noticeable on some days.Fact|date=March 2008 In September 2007, rumours and a report on BBC Radio Suffolksuggested the site is to be sold in 2012 to Merlin EntertainmentsGroup, owner of the Staffordshiretheme park Alton Towers, to rebuild half the site as a similar attraction, the rest as housing and amenities.Fact|date=March 2008
Notable residents and people from Bury
Notable people from Bury St Edmunds include artist and printer
Sybil Andrews, actor Bob Hoskins, [imdb name|id=0001364|name=Bob Hoskins] theatre director Sir Peter Hall, author Maria Lousie de la Ramé (also known as Ouida), cyclist James Moore, World War IICanadian general Guy Simondsand the 18th-century landscape architect Humphry Repton, [cite web|url=http://www.britainexpress.com/History/bio/repton.htm|title=Humphry Repton|publisher=Britain Express|accessdate=2008-08-13] as well as Thomas Clarksonfact-finder behind the abolition of the slave trade.
Although not from Bury St Edmunds,
BBC Radio 1DJ John Peellived nearby in Great Finboroughand, on 12 November 2004, his funeral took place at the cathedral. [cite web | last= Briggs| first= Caroline | work = BBC News Online| title= Final send-off for John Peel | url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4008379.stm | accessdate= 2008-01-14] It was attended by a thousand people including many artists he had championed. During a peak of local musical activity in Bury St Edmunds in 2002, he referred ( tongue-in-cheek) to the town as 'The New Seattle'.Fact|date=March 2008 Notable bands from Bury St Edmunds include Jacob's Mouse, Miss Black America, The Dawn Paradeand Kate Jackson of The Long Blondes.
Ian McShanewas given freedom of the borough in 1996 after he played the title role in the television series " Lovejoy", filmed in and around Bury.
Compiègne, Oise, Picardie, France
Kevelaer, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
* [http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/ Bury St Edmunds cathedral website]
* [http://www.theatreroyal.org Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds]
* [http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/visit/museums-and-galleries.cfm Local Museums and Galleries]
* [http://burystedmundsartgallery.org Bury St Edmunds Art Gallery]
* [http://www.hughpearman.com/articles5/lastgothic.html Article on completing Bury St Edmund's cathedral]
* [http://www.burystedmunds.com/ Bury St Edmunds Area Guide]
* [http://www.moreheart.info/ Bury St Edmunds official development site]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bury St Edmunds — Bury St Edmunds … Wikipédia en Français
Bury Saint Edmunds — DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bury St. Edmunds — DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bury St Edmunds — Koordinaten 52° 15′ N, 0° 43′ O … Deutsch Wikipedia
BURY ST. EDMUNDS — BURY ST. EDMUNDS, English country town in Suffolk, East Anglia. A Jewish community developed there in the later 12th century, under the aegis of its famous monastery, where Jews were allowed to deposit their deeds and money and send their… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Bury Saint-Edmunds — (spr. berrĭ ßent ĕodmönds), Stadt (municipal borough) in der engl. Grafschaft West Suffolk, in schöner Lage am schiffbaren Lark, nordwestlich von Ipswich, hat (1901) 16,255 Einw. B. bewahrt aus dem Mittelalter mehrere merkwürdige Kirchen (St.… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Bury St Edmunds — Original name in latin Bury St Edmunds Name in other language BEQ, Beri Sent Edmends, Beri Sent Ehdmends, Burgus Sancti Edmundi, Bury Saint Edmunds, Bury St, Bury St Edmunds, Bury St. Edmunds, beliseinteuedeumeonjeu, Бери Сент Эдмендс, Бері Сент… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Bury Saint Edmunds — ▪ England, United Kingdom town, St. Edmundsbury borough, administrative and historic county of Suffolk, England, northwest of Ipswich on the River Lark. At Beodricesworth, as the town was first called, Sigebert, king of the East… … Universalium
Bury St. Edmunds — Suffolk, England. (No apos.) Bury is pronounced berry … Bryson’s dictionary for writers and editors
Bury Saint Edmunds — geographical name town SE England in Suffolk population 28,914 … New Collegiate Dictionary