- Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway
The Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway opened on
12 November 1849. It merged with the Great Western Railwayin January 1 September 1854.
The company formed originally as the Shrewsbury & Wolverhampton, Dudley & Birmingham Railway in 1844, it became "Shrewsbury & Birmingham Railway" in 1847.
When the section from Shrewsbury to Wellington, which was shared with the
Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company, opened on 1 June 1849, the railway began to run trains to and from Oakengates.
The railway finally opened on
12 November 1849and is still used today as the Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury Line.
Shrewsbury railway station, Shrewsbury.
*Joint line with
Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company
*Abbey Foregate railway station; opened
1 June 1849closed 30 September 1912.
Upton Magna railway station, Upton Magna.
Walcot railway station, Walcot.
Admaston railway station; opened 1 June 1849.
Wellington and Drayton Railwayfrom 1867 [http://www.telfordsites.co.uk/telford/railway/mkt-drtn.html] .
Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company.
Oakengates railway station.
*Oakengates tunnel - see
Oakengates railway station
Madeley Junction Coalbrookdalebranch.
Shifnal railway station.
Cosford railway station
Albrighton railway station.
Codsall railway station.
*Wolverhampton High Level
Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Stour Valley Railway Stour Valley Linetill 13 November 1854.
*Wolverhampton Low Level
Great Western Railway Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Dudley Railwayfrom 14 November 1854.
Birmingham New Street railway station.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.