- Ministry for the Environment (New Zealand)
Ministry for the Environment Manatū Mō Te Taiao Ministry for the Environment logo Agency overview Jurisdiction New Zealand Minister responsible Hon Nick Smith, Minister for the Environment Agency executive Paul Reynolds, Chief Executive Website http://mfe.govt.nz/
The Ministry for the Environment (Māori: Manatū Mō Te Taiao) (MfE) advises the New Zealand Government on environmental laws, policies, standards and guidelines. It was established in 1986 as part of the Environment Act 1986.
The Environmental Protection Authority was set up in 2011 to carry out some of the environmental regulatory functions of the MfE as well as other government departments.
In 1997 the Ministry released New Zealand's first State of the Environment report. This was followed up in 2008 by a second report titled Environment New Zealand 2007. Chapter 13 of this report was removed before final publication but was leaked to the Green Party. After the media reported the existence of the omitted chapter the Ministry placed the contents on its website.
The Ministry for the Environment administer a number of environmental funds:
- Waste Minimisation Fund
- Environmental Legal Assistance Fund
- Contaminated Sites Remediation Fund
They also run the Green Ribbon Awards which have been given out by the Minister for the Environment since 1990.
Ministers for the Environment
Name PM served Took office Left office Party 1 Geoffrey Palmer Lange, Palmer 1987 September 1990 Labour 2 Simon Upton Bolger, Shipley 1990 1999 National 3 Marian Hobbs Clark 10 December 1999 19 October 2005 Labour 4 David Benson-Pope Clark 19 October 2005 27 July 2007 Labour David Parker (Acting) Clark 27 July 2007 31 October 2007 Labour 5 Trevor Mallard Clark 31 October 2007 19 November 2008 Labour 6 Nick Smith Key 19 November 2008 Incumbent National
- Resource Management Act 1991, a major Act of Parliament used for environmental protection
- Environment Court of New Zealand
- Govt3, a former sustainability programme
- ^ The State of New Zealand’s Environment 1997, Report Ref. ME612, Ministry for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand.
- ^ "State of Environment New Zealand report welcomed". New Zealand Government. 2008-01-31. http://feeds.beehive.govt.nz/release/state+environment+new+zealand+report+welcomed. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- ^ "Ministry stands by decision to drop conclusion chapter Media release: 11 February 2008". Ministry for the Environment. 2008-02-11. http://www.mfe.govt.nz/news/enz07-draft-conclusion-chapter-11feb08.html. Retrieved 2008-03-28.
- ^ "Sources of funding for projects and participation". Ministry for the Environment. 14 February 2011. http://www.mfe.govt.nz/withyou/funding/. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- ^ "The Green Ribbon Awards". Ministry for the Environment. 15 April 2011. http://www.mfe.govt.nz/withyou/awards/green-ribbon.html. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- ^ Rt. Hon Helen Clark, 27 July 2007, Acting Ministers in portfolios, New Zealand Government Press Release, retrieved 25 November 2007.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ministry for the Environment — may refer to: Ministry for the Environment (Hungary) Ministry for the Environment (Iceland) Ministry for the Environment (New Zealand) This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an … Wikipedia
Ministry of Economic Development (New Zealand) — Ministry of Economic Development Manatū Ōhanga Logo of the Ministry of Economic Development Agency overview … Wikipedia
Ministry of Social Development (New Zealand) — Ministry of Social Development Te Manatū Whakahiato Ora Logo of the Ministry of Social Development Agency over … Wikipedia
Minister for the Environment — The Minister for the Environment may refer to: Department of the Environment (Northern Ireland) The Minister in charge of the Ministry for the Environment (New Zealand) This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an … Wikipedia
New Zealand Defence College — Established 1950 Type Military college Undergraduates Diploma of Arts, Postgraduates Master of Arts (Defence and Strategic Studies) Location … Wikipedia
Environment of New Zealand — The environment of New Zealand is characterised by unique flora and fauna and a variety of landforms contained within a small island nation.BiotaThe biota of New Zealand is one of the most unusual on Earth, due to its long isolation from other… … Wikipedia
New Zealand — New Zealander. /zee leuhnd/ a country in the S Pacific, SE of Australia, consisting of North Island, South Island, and adjacent small islands: a member of the Commonwealth of Nations. 3,587,275; 103,416 sq. mi. (267,845 sq. km). Cap.: Wellington … Universalium
New Zealand Agency for International Development — Logo of NZAID Agency overview Jurisdiction New Zealand’s official development assistance (ODA) Minister responsible … Wikipedia
Ministry of Fisheries (New Zealand) — Ministry of Fisheries Te Tautiaki i nga tini a Tangaroa Ministry of Fisheries logo Agency overview Jur … Wikipedia
New Zealand Urban Design Protocol — The New Zealand Urban Design Protocol was published in March 2005 by the Ministry for the Environment to recognise the importance of urban design to the development of successful towns and cities. The protocol is a voluntary commitment by central … Wikipedia