- Arnoldo Mondadori Editore
Arnoldo Mondadori Editore S.p.A. Type Società per azioni Traded as BIT: MNDI Industry Media Founded 1907 (Ostiglia, Mantua, Italy) Headquarters Segrate, Milan, Italy Key people Marina Berlusconi (Chairman), Maurizio Costa (CEO) Products Publishing of books and magazines, advertising, radio broadcasting Services Bookshops Revenue €1.540 billion (2009) Operating income €71.8 million (2009) Profit €34.3 million (2009) Employees 3,750 (end 2009) Website www.mondadori.com
Founded by the 18-year-old Arnoldo Mondadori in 1907 to publish the magazine titled Luce!, it soon became an important publisher. Its headquarters are in Milan.
Between 1989 and 1991, there has been a financial conflict between Silvio Berlusconi and Carlo De Benedetti, two of the largest employers of those years.
In 1988 Berlusconi bought Leonardo Mondadori's (nephew of Arnoldo Mondadori) shares. Mondadori was then owned by three: Berlusconi's Fininvest, Carlo De Benedetti's CIR and the Formenton family (Arnoldo Mondadori's heir). Carlo De Benedetti convinced the Formentons to conclude an agreement that would bring him to obtain the Formenton's shares by 30 January 1991, but in November 1989 the Formenton family sided on Berlusconi's side, allowing him to become the new Mondadori president on 25 January 1990; De Benedetti then protested, claiming its agreement. The three sides took the unanimous decision of an arbitrary award to solve the conflict.
The Arbitrary Award
On 20 June 1990 was the first verdict: the agreement between De Benedetti and Formenton was considered still valid; as a consequence, the Mondadori shares became owned by the CIR (De Benedetti) and Berlusconi left the presidence of the company.
Berlusconi and the Formentons then appealed at the Appeal Court of Rome, which assigned the case to Civil Section I. This section was chaired by Arnaldo Valente and the Judge-Rapporteur was Vittorio Metta. The ruling was made public on 24 January 1991 and nullified the arbitrary award verdict and gave the Mondadori shares back to Berlusconi's Fininvest.
In 1995, after receiving some proclamations, the judiciary started investigating the authenticity of the ruling. It turned out that Berlusconi won thanks to the corruption of Judge Vittorio Metta. Vittorio Metta was sentenced to 11 years in prison in 2003, but won an appeal in 2005. The Court of Cassation nullified that appeal in 2006, and Vittorio Metta was sentenced to 1 year and 9 months in 2007. Berlusconi hasn't been sentenced. The trial expired for time limit.
Mondadori in the Italian gambling sector
Recently Mondadori has accessed to the gambling sector in Italy with the society Glaming. That has raised objection for conflict of interest about Silvio Berlusconi, because the sector is managed by the Italian Monopoli di Stato (state monopolies) and Berlusconi is the Italian premier.
- Direct : the company owns a chain of bookshops (Mondadori Multicenter, Librerie Mondadori, Librerie Gulliver, Edicolè) and controls in joint venture with Bertelsmann the company Mondolibri, owner of the four Italian book clubs (Euroclub, Club degli Editori, Il Circolo, Club per Voi) and of the internet-based bookshop Bol.it.
- Radio : R101 and the defunct local radio station Rock FM.
- Other activities (Newspapers, Mondadori International, Glaming [gambling])
The group today includes nine distinct publishing houses, a number of which have more than one imprint:
- Edizioni Mondadori
- Founded in 1907 by Arnoldo Mondadori in Ostiglia, but based in Milan since 1919, Edizioni Mondadori became one of the best-known Italian book publishers, with early collaborations with Disney and the Il Giallo Mondadori series of mystery/crime novels.
- Giulio Einaudi editore
- Founded in 1933 by Giulio Einaudi in Turin, this also became one of the most significant Italian publishing houses of the twentieth century. Its authors included Cesare Pavese, Elio Vittorini, Italo Calvino and Leone Ginzburg, and it was the publisher of Antonio Gramsci’s Prison Notebooks. It was acquired by Mondadori in 1994.
- Edizioni EL
- Based in Trieste and publishing children’s books under the imprints EL, Einaudi Ragazzi and Emme Edizione. Giulio Einaudi editore has a 50% stake in the company
- Sperling & Kupfer
- Acquired by Mondadori in the 1980s, this publishing house founded in 1899 is one of the oldest publishing houses in Milan. Its traditional international focus, and concentration on current affairs, has been supplemented in recent years by publications in fiction, non-fiction, economics, manuals and popular science. Its imprints include Frassinelli, and Mondadori Informatica.
- Edizioni Piemme
- Particularly active in the area of books for children, and based in Casale Monferrato.
- Mondadori Electa
- A group based in Milan with three imprints: Electa, active in the art and history of art sector since 1945; Mondadori, which publishes illustrated books in areas such as nature, hobbies and history as well as tourist guides; and Mondadori Arte, intended to present art, architecture, design and archeology to non-specialist audiences.
- Mondadori Education
- formerly Edumond Le Monnier, acquired in 2008 and based in Milan, Bologna and Florence.
- Harlequin Mondadori, Milan
- A joint venture with Harlequin Enterprises specializing in fiction for women and based in Milan.
- Grupo Editorial Random House Mondadori
- Based in Barcelona, this publishing house, a joint venture with Random House, also has operations in Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Mexico, Venezuela and Colombia and plans to target the Spanish-speaking market in the United States.
Also magazines published by Attica Publications S.A. (Greece) of which Mondadori owns 41.66%.
- R101 (radio station)
Radio outside Italy
Athens DeeJay (Greece), Rock FM (Greece)
- ^ a b c d "Annual Report 2009". Arnoldo Mondadori Editore. http://www.mondadori.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/0f5f5ac4638328057eafb2d294717fd5.pdf. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- ^ http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerra_di_Segrate
- ^ (italian) http://www.beppegrillo.it/2009/07/la_fine_della_m/index.html?s=n2009-07-27
- ^ ‘Edizioni EL’, Mondadori Group.
- ^ ‘Sperling & Kupfer’, Mondadori Group.
- ^ Piemme Publishing Group’, Mondadori Group.
- ^ ‘Mondadori Electa’, Mondadori Group.
- ^ ‘Mondadori Education’, Mondadori Group.
- ^ ‘Harlequin Mondadori’, Mondadori Group.
- ^ ‘Random House Mondadori’, Mondadori Group.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Arnoldo Mondadori Editore — S.p.A. Rechtsform Società per Azioni ISIN IT0001469383 Gründung … Deutsch Wikipedia
Arnoldo Mondadori Editore — Logo de Arnoldo Mondadori Editore Création 1907 Personnages clés Arnoldo Mondadori … Wikipédia en Français
Mondadori Editore — Arnoldo Mondadori Editore Logo de Arnoldo Mondadori Editore Création 1907 Personnages clés Arnoldo Mondadori … Wikipédia en Français
Arnoldo Mondadori — (November 2, 1889 June 8 1971) was a noted Italian publisher.Mondadori was born at Poggio Rusco, Mantua and died in Milan.His publishing house (Arnoldo Mondadori Editore) is today the largest in Italy.ee also*Arnoldo Mondadori EditoreExternal… … Wikipedia
Arnoldo Mondadori — (né le 2 novembre 1889 à Poggio Rusco, dans la province de Mantoue, en Lombardie mort le 8 juin 1971 à Milan) était un éditeur italien, fondateur, en 1907, de l une des plus grandes maisons d édition italienne, qui porte… … Wikipédia en Français
Arnoldo Mondadori — (* 2. November 1889 in Poggio Rusco bei Mantua; † 8. Juni 1971 in Mailand) war ein italienischer Verleger. Leben Mondadori beendete bereits nach der 5. Klasse seine Schullaufbahn, um in einer Drogerie zu arbeiten. Später arbeitete er in Mantua… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mondadori — Arnoldo Mondadori Editore S.p.A. Unternehmensform Società per Azioni ISIN … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mondadori France — Siège social Montrouge (France) … Wikipédia en Français
Mondadori, Arnoldo — (Poggio Rusco, Mantova 1889 Milano 1971) editore, tra i maggiori del Novecento … Dizionario biografico elementare del Novecento letterario italiano
Sergio Bonelli Editore — es una editorial italiana fundada en los años cuarenta y especializada en historietas, cuyo mercado lidera con más de 25 millones de ventas anuales. Tex y Dylan Dog, sus dos cómics más populares, venden más de 800.000 ejemplares cada uno.… … Wikipedia Español