- Madras Institute of Technology
Madras Institute of Technology (MIT) சென்னை தொழில்நுட்ப நிறுவனம் Motto In the service of India Established 1949 Type Education and Research Institution Chancellor Konijeti Rosaiah (Governor of TamilNadu, Ex-officio) Vice-Chancellor P. Mannar Jawahar Dean S. Thamarai Selvi Registrar S. Shanmugavel Undergraduates 2000 (approx) Postgraduates 300 (approx) Location Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India Campus Urban Website http://www.mitindia.edu/
The Madras Institute of Technology (MIT - சென்னை தொழில்நுட்ப நிறுவனம் ) is an engineering institute located in Chromepet, Chennai (Madras), India. It is one of the four autonomous constituent colleges of Anna University. It was started in 1949 by Mr. C. Rajam as the first self-financing engineering institute in the country, and later it merged with Anna University. The Institute was at that time an experiment in technical education, for it introduced to India new areas of specialization: aeronautical engineering, automobile engineering, electronics engineering, and instrumentation technology. The MIT is the first institute in India to offer postgraduate courses in avionics and mechatronics. This Institute also has a unique practice of "T-Series", a student mentoring system by senior students.The aeronautical and electronics departments of this institute are very popular and get the cream of students in Tamil Nadu usually having very high cut-offs , with seats getting filled in the early batches of first day counselling.
The alumni of this institute have achieved prominence in various fields and include Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam (the "missile-man of India"), and the writer Sujatha among others. The present Vice-Chancellor of Anna University is a former MIT-ian as well. The cultural festival of MIT, Mitafest, is well known in the vicinity of Chromepet.. The AUKBC research institute has good research facilities and faculty , with students helping from various departments in projects which have resulted in several international papers and patent filings.
With the dawn of Independence, the need for establishing a sound technological basis for proper industrial advancement of the country was realised. At this juncture, in 1949, Mr. Rajam Iyer donated Rs. 5 lakhs through the sale of his house and founded the M.I.T., and raised funds from various people and industries for its running. Sri M.K. Ranganathan, Rtd. Chief Engineer, became the first principal of the institute.
At a time when all other engineering institutions were offering conventional courses in civil, mechanical and electrical engineering at the undergraduate level, Mr. Rajam launched the experiment of introducing for the first time in the country totally new areas of specialisation in Engineering, namely aeronautical engineering, automobile engineering, electronics engineering, and instrument technology, the entrants to these disciplines being science graduates. In addition to this, MIT also has computer science and information technology departments. M.I.T. also offers technical education in engineering fields such as rubber and plastics technology, production engineering, and information technology. Research centres were also started in the past years.
Instrumentation and Control did not exist in India as a subject of study in 1949; even the name was still below the horizon. Now this branch of applied science and technology has become important in industry, and a significant number of the past students of M.I.T. now hold key positions in research and development organisations, manufacturing industries and educational institutions within the country and abroad.
Madras Institute of Technology, being a constituent college of Anna University, is governed by a Chancellor, Vice-Chancellor and Registrar of the varsity. The varsity has a syndicate too. The Dean is the head of the Institute and oversees day-to-day administration. Each department is led by a Head of the Department (HOD). The hostels are headed by assistant executive wardens placed under an executive warden with dean as the ex-officio warden.
The academic policies are decided by the course committee, whose members include all the professors and student representatives headed by a chairman.
Madras Institute of Technology follows the credit-based system of performance evaluation and student-teacher relation, with proportional weighting of courses based on their importance. The total marks (usually out of 100) form the basis of grades, with a grade value (out of 10) assigned to a range of marks. For each semester, the students are graded by taking a weighted average from all the courses with their respective credit points. Each semester's evaluation is done independently with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) reflecting the average performance across semesters. One of the major changes the institution needs to accommodate is allow students to go for final year project and internships. There is less encouragement from professors for pursuing project in other institutions or companies and final semester also has very core subjects making it mandatory for students to do in-house projects. Giving this opportunity to students will greatly improve the popularity and show case the talent of MITians to the industry.
The broad-based, theory-oriented education attempts to enable students of MIT to handle with skill and success a wide variety of technical problems. MIT has remained an important centre of engineering education and earned an excellent reputation both in India and abroad. Admission into the institute previously was through the TNPCEE . But from 2007 it was decided that the 12th grade examinations would be the sole criterion which has favoured the entry of matriculation students.
Prominent alumni of this institute include former President Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam, Sujatha Rangarajan, & K B Chandrashekhar (founder of jamcracker.com & exodus.com in USA and AU-KBC Research Centre, MIT campus of Anna University).
The annual festival of the institute is called Mitafest. Each department has its own festival, in addition to the musical festival Sivaranjani.
Techfest and symposia
Apart from this,MIT proudly presented "Asymptote 2009" along with its diamond jubilee celebrations.Asymptote-2009 was held on 9,10 and 11 January 2009. Students from various colleges participated in this event and this event was a success.
Every department has its own intra-college and inter-college technical symposium.
Department Intra-college Inter-college Aeronautical Dept - Flight Automobile Dept Spark Automeet Computer Technology Dept - PRAYATNA Information technology Dept Mutex Samhita Electronics & Communication Dept Apocalypse Electrofocus Electronics & Instrumentation Dept Livebeat Intecho Production Technology Dept Expro Rubber & Plastics Technology Dept Elastoplaz Student Organisation Intra-College Inter-College Computer Society Enigma Carte Blanche Personality Development Assosiation - Persofest Youth Red Cross - Vricham Rotract Club Rotofest Sparish
MIT has its own annual magazine MITMAG.Apart from this,Personality Development Association (PDA) has successfully published its magazine PERSOPLUS twice last year and Youth Red Cross published its magazine called "Vircham" in 2008 related to Social Awareness. Computer Society of MIT publishes its periodic magazine TECH TIMES from 2011 onwards. Department of Electronics Engineering releases its annual magazine "Impetus". Department of Instrumentation has started to publish its own technical magazine 'InsTrue'. Department of production technology releases its yearly magazine "PRO-MAG".
MIT has the unique practice of 'T-series'. This is a mentorship system and the word is said to have originated from the term Technocrat. Each new 'technocrat' of the institute is assigned to a mentor from the previous batch. He / she also inherits the complete set of 'T-seniors' from this mentor. Mentorship activities span a whole gamut of student activities starting from passing on books up to job interview preparation tips. Like all major universities, it helps build an alumni network in industries, boosting the credentials of the university as well as providing valuable human resource for the firms.
- Department of Aerospace Engineering - The oldest Department in the Country offering Aeronautical Engineering education at the undergraduate level. The Department has been functional since 1949 and its alumni have made significant contributions to the development of aerospace technology in the Country. In keeping with the needs of time, the Faculty of Aeronautics transformed itself into a Department offering 4-year undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in Aeronautical Engineering with revised and periodically updated curriculum. However there has not been modernization of infrastructure and today the department lacks up-to-date laboratories in the core areas of aerodynamics, structures and propulsion. Division of Avionics belong to this department which specialises in ME & MS(Research) courses.
- Department of Automobile Engineering - This is also one of oldest departments offered by the college since its inception. The college offers both UG and PG courses. The annual student intake is 45.The current president of AEA (Automobile Engineering Association) is Mr.Devaradjane. SAE also has its collegiate club in this dept. The Department of Automobile Engineering at MIT was started in the year 1949 and was offering a three year (undergraduate Programme) in Automobile Engineering for Science graduates (B.Sc). Subsequently, on the formation of Anna University in 1978, MIT has become one of the constituent institutions of the University and hence, the Department has also become a department of Anna University. The postgraduate Programme was started in 1978. This is the only pioneering Institute which is a offering both UG and PG Programmes in Automobile Engineering in the whole of India, besides offering MS (by research) and Ph.D. Programmes. From 1996 onwards a 4 year B.Tech undergraduate programme for students of higher secondary education is being offered. Besides the academic activities, the department is dynamically involved in the programmes of “CENTRE FOR AUTOMOTIVE RESEARCH AND TRAINING” (CART).
- Department of Information Technology-The department of Information Technology was established in the year 2000.The branch of "Information Technology" has an intake strength of 120 every year (recently[when?] increased). The department has well connected facilities and good faculty strength.This is the department which gives a lot of job opportunities for the people belonging to every department in the college. The department includes a UG and PG running in parallel and the research areas include Grid computing, XML technologies, Networking and connectivity protocols, network security and Databases.The Department is headed by Ms.Jeyasree.
- Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering - The department of Electronics Engineering established in the year 1949 has its core strength in the area of Electronics & Communication technology. This is the largest department of the MIT campus of Anna University, which has about 25 faculty members serving about 400 undergraduate students and 100 postgraduate students. The cutting edge research areas include Communication Technologies, Wireless Communication, Network Security, Sensor Networks, Optical Communication, Avionics, Signal Processing, Image Processing & Pattern Recognition and VLSI. The department has colloborative partners from academia and industry both locally and worldwide.The Department is headed by Dr.Mala John.
- Department of Instrumentation Engineering - The department of Instrumentation Engineering,which was started in 1949, offers Instrumentation Engineering at PG level, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering at UG level and Ph.D and M.S. (by Research) for both regular and Part-time scholars. This curriculum is formulated with motto of making the students aware of the current Industrial standards. With this perfect blend of industrial exposure, coupled with good technical base, our students have made a presence in various technological domains in all the top level industries.
- Department of Computer Technology-The department of Computer Technology was established in the year 2010.The branch of "Computer Technology" has an intake strength of 120 every year. The department has well connected facilities and good faculty strength.This is the department which gives a lot of job opportunities for the people belonging to every department in the college. The department includes a UG and PG running in parallel and the research areas include Grid computing, XML technologies, Networking and connectivity protocols, network security and Databases.The Department works on the Golden Jubilee Block of MIT.The Department is headed by Dr.V.Vaidehi.For more info visit http://www.act.mitindia.edu/
- Department of Production technology - The department of Production Technology was started with three year B.Tech production engineering programme (for B.Sc graduates) in the year 1977 with an intake of 20 students and M.E programme in the year 1993. The dept offers B.Tech in Production Engg & ME in manufacturing Engg, Mechatornics Engg. It also offers part time UG programs in the areas of Mechanical Engg, Production Engg & PG programme in Manufacturing Engineering . For the first time in our country a PG programme in M.E Mechatronics was started in the year 1999 with an intake of 15 students. The department was awarded A5 grade in 1997-98 (Highest grade for 5 years) by the National board of Accreditation. The department has organized 9 national level seminars and 3 summer/winter schools and a number of short term programs in the areas of low cost automation CNC machines & programming and fluid power automations.The Department is headed by Mr.Jothilingam.
- Department of Rubber & Plastics Technology - The department of Rubber & plastics is one of the pioneering departments of the legendary institution MIT. The department was started in 1988 with an aim to ensure that each student coming into contact with the faculty develops his/her versatility to emerge as the fittest in this ever changing industrial scenario. The aim to mould personalities sharing a strong bonding with the humanity blended with the art of self empowerment.
Usually there is a 100% placement record across all departments in MIT , with many students getting multiple job offers or dream jobs (highly paid). All well known core product and service companies come for recruitment and placement interviews happen at a common venue with CEG students in the Anna University - main campus.
- Computer Society of MIT -The Computer Society of Madras Institute of Technology was started in 1983 with a motive to develop computer knowledge of the students from different domains. During its initial years, the society mainly concentrated in getting expertised with the basics of computers and programming languages such as C. Later it included the tools required by various streams like hardware designing and modeling software for the students of mechanical streams, circuit designing and simulation software for the students of electronic stream, etc. Over the years, the society has evolved, from being just an organization for imparting knowledge, to an active participant in the evolution and promotion of Free & Open Source Software (FOSS). It is supported by Prof.Catherine Bina, Head of Computer center of MIT and the current staff-incharge is Mr.Thamarai Selvam. It conducts weekly sessions for the students of different departments with their respective needs. The major event associated with this area is the conduction of the inter-college free software festival 'Carte Blanche', every year which is an Inter-College festival and 'Enigma' for the MITians. Current chairman(2011–12) is Mr.Vimalesh. For more info visit http://www.csmit.org/
- Personality Development Association -Personality Development Association, a student organization of MIT, owes its genesis to the idea envisaged by five students during the academic year 1984-85. The association was formally inaugurated on 4 February 1985 with the active support of Prof. K.V. Narayanan and Dr. S. Renganathan. Ever since its dawn on this significant day, PDA has been unrelenting in its efforts to foster the consummate personality development of the students. This Association conducts 'Persofest' annually which proves useful for every student. The chairman of PDA for 2011-12 is Miss.Dhanushiya. For more info visit http://www.pda.mitindia.edu/
- Rotract Club of MIT -Everyone should realize that they should contribute in some way to the society which nurtured them. Thus Rotaract club of MIT strives in every possible way to instill the seed of service among the Students. 'Rotofest' and 'Sparish' are the main events conducted by this club in a view to make the needful people feel the 'joy of living'. The chairman of Rotaract club for 2011-2012 is Mr.Jagadesh.For more info visit http://www.rotaract.mitindia.edu/
- Centre for Aerospace Research (CASR)
The Centre for Aerospace Research came into being in the year 2000 and focuses on Advancing Research in Aerospace sciences. The centre is having adequate design, analysis and computational capabilities to take up problems in high speed and low speed flows, structure, aero-thermal effect and composites. The applications software being regularly employed include MSC-NASTRAN, STAR-CD,CFX,I_DEAS and tascflow. For carrying out experimental studies in the thrust areas, the Centre is having laboratories and facilities with specialized equipment. The country's first student developed satellite ANUSAT is designed, developed and integrated at this facility. The aerospace department holds the AVIONICS department which designed the control software.
- Anna University - K B Chandrasekhar Research Center (AU-KBCRC)
The Anna University - K B Chandrasekhar Research Center was established at the MIT Campus in May 1999 through the donation of RS.1.00 crore Dr.K.B. Chandrasekhar, Chairman and Co-founder of Exodus Communications, USA. The infrastructure includes a 256 kbit/s Internet access over a 2 Mbit/s based line, high-end server with broad-based Networking. The research activities of the center are to investigate on cryptography, Network security, Internet Access over the power line medium and many others. In addition, the KBC foundation has donated another 0.5 crore Rupees towards setting up a state-of –art java lab at the center and 1.5 crore rupees for the campus networking and video conferencing facilities. One of the goals of the center is to link value-addition to the Domain-knowledge possessed by the faculty and the students of our University in diverse Domains through the use of the Internet and I.T Tools/Technologies.
- Center for Automotive Research and Training (CART)
The Center for Automotive Research and Training (CART), an inter-disciplinary center, was established in the year 1997 by the University to mainly cater to the needs of the automotive industry with regard to design, research, consultancy, training and testing. The center functions currently both at the main campus and at the MIT campus. The center proposes to offer a postgraduate programme titled ,Automotive Manufacturing Management, which will be a highly inter-disciplinary programme mainly framed with inputs from the user industry, namely the automotive industry. The center acts as a nodal agency interacting with automotive industries both at home and abroad and with various academic departments and centers, functioning at Anna University.
- Madras Institute of Technology
- Madras Institute of Technology - University Departments of Anna University
- AUKBC Research Centre
- Computer Society of MIT
- Rotaract Club of MIT
- Personality Development Association of MIT
- Alumni Portal of MIT
- ANUSAT Real Time Tracking
- The Annual Cultural Fest of MIT, The MITAFEST
- Aerospace Research Projects
- MIT AVIONICS Aeromodelling Group
- MIT MUSEUM
Education in Tamil Nadu List of educational
institutions by districtsAriyalur · Chennai · Coimbatore · Cuddalore · Dharmapuri · Dindigul · Erode · Kanchipuram · Kanyakumari · Karur · Krishnagiri · Madurai · Nagapattinam · Namakkal · Nilgiris · Perambalur · Pudukkottai · Ramanathapuram · Salem · Sivagangai · Thanjavur · Theni · Thoothukudi · Tiruchirapalli · Tirunelveli · Tirupur · Tiruvallur · Tiruvannamalai · Tiruvarur · Vellore · Viluppuram · Virudhunagar
List of Public
UniversitiesAlagappa University · Anna University · Annamalai University · Bharathiar University · Bharathidasan University · Madurai Kamaraj University · Manonmaniam Sundaranar University · Mother Teresa Women's University · The Tamil Nadu Dr. M. G. R. Medical University · Tamil Nadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University · Tamil Nadu Agricultural University · Tamil Nadu Open University · Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University · Tamil University · Thiruvalluvar University · University of Madras
List of Private (Deemed)
UniversitiesAMET University · Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham · Avinashilingam University · Bharat University · B. S. Abdur Rahman University · Kalasalingam University · Karunya University · Dr. M.G.R. Educational and Research Institute · Periyar Maniammai University · Sathyabama University · Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy · Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute · SRM University · Vels University · Vinayaka Mission's Research Foundation, Deemed University · VIT University
List of Premier
InsititutesInstitute of Mathematical Sciences · IIT-Madras · Guindy Engineering College · Madras Institute of Technology · NIT-Trichy · IIM-Trichy · PSG College of Technology · Anna University · University of Madras · Central University · Tamil Nadu Agricultural University · Madras Medical College · Madras Christian College · Christian Medical College · Loyola College · ANJA College ·
Education in India Education in StatesAndhra Pradesh · Arunachal Pradesh · Assam · Bihar · Chhattisgarh · Delhi · Goa · Gujarat · Haryana · Himachal Pradesh · Jammu and Kashmir · Jharkhand · Karnataka · Kerala · Madhya Pradesh · Maharashtra · Manipur · Meghalaya · Mizoram · Nagaland · Orissa · Punjab · Rajasthan · Sikkim · Tamil Nadu · Tripura · Uttar Pradesh · Uttarakhand · West Bengal Educational institutions by statesAndhra Pradesh · Arunachal Pradesh · Assam · Bihar · Chhattisgarh · Delhi · Goa · Gujarat · Haryana · Himachal Pradesh · Jammu and Kashmir · Jharkhand · Karnataka · Kerala · Madhya Pradesh · Maharashtra · Manipur · Meghalaya · Mizoram · Nagaland · Orissa · Punjab · Rajasthan · Sikkim · Tamil Nadu · Tripura · Uttar Pradesh · Uttarakhand · West Bengal Educational institutions by cities Educational institutions by type
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Samhita Madras Institute of Technology — Samhita is an annual inter college technical festival hosted by the Department of Information Technology, Madras Institute of Technology(MIT), Anna University. The event has taken place annually since 2002. [cite… … Wikipedia
Institute of technology — Institute of technology, and polytechnic, are designations employed in a wide range of learning institutions awarding different types of degrees and operating often at variable levels of the educational system. It may be any institution of higher … Wikipedia
Coimbatore Institute of Technology — Motto Nature in the service of man Established 1956 Type Aided Institution … Wikipedia
Maharaja Institute of Technology — is an engineering and management College in Arasur, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. It was established during the 2006–2007 academic year under the affiliation of Anna University. From 2007 onwards, they have offered a MBA course. Contents 1 … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology — … Deutsch Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Madras — Infobox Indian Institute of Technology motto = Siddhirbhavati Karmaja name = Indian Institute of Technology Madras established = 1959 director = M. S. Ananth type = Education and Research Institution city = Chennai | state = Tamil Nadu campus =… … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Madras — Vorlage:Infobox Hochschule/Logo fehlt Indian Institute of Technology Madras Motto Siddhirbhavati Karmaja Gründung 1959 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Chennai, Tamil Nadu, Indien … Deutsch Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi — Established 1961 Type Education and research institution Director … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur — Motto तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय (tamaso mā jyotirgamaya) (Sanskrit) Motto in English Lead me from darkness to light Established … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur — Infobox University name = Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur motto = hi. योगः कर्मसु कौशलम् ( hi. Yoga Karmasu Kaushālam ) mottoeng = Perfection in action is Yoga established = 1951 type = Education and Research Institution director =… … Wikipedia